Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

I'm thinking about surprising my FH by recording myself singing our first dance song..

I want to surprise my FH by recording myself singing our first dance song and having it play without him knowing. The problem is that I'm not sure how to go about it.

Has anyone done this? Did you go to a studio or did you do it all yourself? I don't want it to sound like I recorded it myself.

Any advise is appreciated!

Re: I'm thinking about surprising my FH by recording myself singing our first dance song..

• You probably won't get much support for this here, as most people will think it's AWish.  I'll be the unpopular opinion and say I wouldn't mind...as long as you are actually good at singing.  Nothing is worse than sitting through a song when a person thinks they are some great artist and they're more of a William Hung.  So be realistic about your capabilities.  I also wouldn't announce it to everyone (the thing that would seem AWish).

I've recorded stuff both in a professional studio and in a private studio (at a friend's house).  Obviously professional sounded better, but the private studio was totally passable because my friend knew how to integrate everything seamlessly and I wasn't singing over tracks.  Now, if it's just going to sound like you're singing over a karaoke track then I would pass.  Honestly though, is this worth the money?  If you're on a budget, I would pass on this idea.

• Seriously? This is the third trolling post I've read today!
  • I appreciate it. Not really looking for opinions on if I should do it or not. Just looking for ways to go about it out it's something I decide I want to do. It's our day and I'll make my decisions based on what I see fit.

Again, appreciate the thoughts.
  • I would find a semi-professional studio to record it in (sorry, no ideas for you there), versus recording it yourself.

I think if you're going to do it, do it well, or surprise your FI with a "home made" tape at a later date (like an anniversary). 
  • I appreciate it. Not really looking for opinions on if I should do it or not. Just looking for ways to go about it out it's something I decide I want to do. It's our day and I'll make my decisions based on what I see fit. Again, appreciate the thoughts.
    Okay. I would find it kind of odd and AWish as a guest, because it doesn't seem like it's something you're doing entirely for your FI but also for the benefit of your captive audience. It seems like you want to show off to everyone.

@levioosa gave you good ideas for how to accomplish this in a way that would cause you minimal embarrassment.
  • If you do this, I would find a professional or semi professional studio with a quality audio engineer. They'll be able to mix properly so that it doesn't sound homemade.
  • You can probably find an old Talk Boy at Salvation Army. That would be perfect.

• No advice about singing, but I don't think your wedding day is going to be the best time to "surprise" your FI.  There will be a lot going on that day, and an extra "surprise" on top of all that may just be too much.  Either save the "surprise" for another time, or let him know about it in advance.
  • Sorry OP, I think to give decent advice we need to know if you already perform and/or are trained as a singer. I know guys with professional recording equipment and who put out records, but there's a big Indie scene where I'm at in the first place. Me asking this friend to help may be different than someone else recording with a friend, ya know? Someone who is trained or already performs a lot can probably find a nice way to pull this off. Songs get covered all the time anyway.

• @levioosa There's truly nothing better than a William Hung reference. 
    --

• If you don't want it to sound like you recorded it yourself, I think it's pretty obvious you have to go to a studio.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • What's the question? How to make it sound like you didn't record it yourself?

Um, don't record it yourself??

Anniversary

• 1) This has nothing to do with ettiquette.

2) My suggestion would be to just, like... not. Because it's AW as fuck.
  • .....sigh.  I don't even know where to move this to.  Can we start an AW board?  It can be called "IT'S MY DAY AND THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING SO THERE".
    Anniversary

• .....sigh.  I don't even know where to move this to.  Can we start an AW board?  It can be called "IT'S MY DAY AND THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING SO THERE".

Don't move it! It's more fun here.

The music board gets a LOT of traffic. Maybe there. :)

• Let me threadjack for a quick moment to bring you a little story.  A few years ago we attended a wedding where the MOG surprised the couple with an interpretive dance she choreographed to portray their relationship and her love for them.  It required changing into a leotard and taking over the dance floor while bride and groom were stuck at their sweetheart table with fake smiles, mortified about this surprise.  At one point a toddler was knocked over when she tried to dance too (other story about her. . . . diaper on the dinner plate, ugghh!)  Anyway, it would the most uncomfortable 3-5 minutes I have ever experienced at a wedding for everyone except the MOG.  Please rethink your plan.
  • kaos16 said:
    Let me threadjack for a quick moment to bring you a little story.  A few years ago we attended a wedding where the MOG surprised the couple with an interpretive dance she choreographed to portray their relationship and her love for them.  It required changing into a leotard and taking over the dance floor while bride and groom were stuck at their sweetheart table with fake smiles, mortified about this surprise.  At one point a toddler was knocked over when she tried to dance too (other story about her. . . . diaper on the dinner plate, ugghh!)  Anyway, it would the most uncomfortable 3-5 minutes I have ever experienced at a wedding for everyone except the MOG.  Please rethink your plan.
    This is awesome. I want to have been at that wedding. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Also threadjacking...

A friend of mine played guitar as a child. Her dad had a recording of her playing their father-daughter dance song from when she was kid. He "surprised" her by playing that version instead of the regular version at the wedding. She didn't say anything (she probably didn't want to hurt her dad's feelings), but she was visibly embarrassed.

Unless you are literally a professional singer, this is not as good of an idea as you think it is. (And even so, still probably not)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If your recording is short, say 90 seconds, I would be thrilled, only because I didn't have to sit and watch a full 4 minute spotlight dance. If I have to be held captive for 4 mins watching you dance AND listen to an AW recorded song, I'm going to rolling my eyes HARD on the way to the bar...might even traverse the dance floor on my way there if it's quicker.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Clarification for a newbie - what is AWish?

Thanks!!
  • Clarification for a newbie - what is AWish?

Thanks!!
    @lizabobiza AW = Attention Whore.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Can I throw in my 2 cents?

One of the first things about me my fiance fell in love with was my voice. I'm not saying I'm the next Beyonce or even close, but I have had my experience being front and center throughout my school years in choir as well as with my church. Fiance will turn on certain songs just to hear me sing. Our first dance song happens to be one of those songs. I've tossed around the thought of recording the song and playing it for the first dance (my friend owns a studio so it would be very professional). My man is very sappy and would love it. 

Isn't a wedding all about being an attention whore? I mean you wear a white puffy dress, walk down an aisle, you're basically giving people free food and alcohol to come pay attention to you for a few hrs. So I don't see how a sweet gesture like singing your own first dance is any more AW. Maybe for random people on forums but not for your close friends and family. Plus its 3 mins of their lives, and not about them but about the bride and groom, isn't that what all these boards pretty much say?
  • I think all these people don't want to sit through a recording of an internet stranger at the internet stranger's wedding. Which is fine, since they shouldn't be at an internet stranger's wedding in the first place.

If it's in your budget, OP, I'd go to a pro studio. If it's not, I'd ask around to see if friends have decent recording equipment you could borrow. If you're doing it yourself, be sure to soundproof the room where you're doing it as much as possible (nothing says First Dance like your neighbor's car alarm, right?) and record it on your computer. You can use Audacity (free music editing software) to mix your voice recording with the music recording (unless you'd rather keep it a capella). Here's some basic info.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards