Not Engaged Yet

Foodie Friday

Friday! Friday! Friday! It could also be Freezing Friday or Frigid Friday since it feels like -15 degrees right now but I figured food is a better, more universal topic :)

Tonight, H and I are going to join our community center. They have a full gym, indoor track, indoor pool, ice and roller skating rinks, and free classes for members. We'll also get a discount on our outdoor pool membership this summer by joining. I'm nervous and just hope I stick with it. 

Tomorrow, I have to clean the house and then H's friend and his wife (who is one of my very good friends now) are coming over. We're going to dinner and then the Devils game and then probably more drinks back at home. 

On Sunday, I'm making ST Bananas Foster Topped Overnight French Toast for breakfast and I'm so excited about it. We had it at my house a few weekends ago when the girls were over and it was incredible. My mom is coming up at some point on Sunday and we're going to make final decisions on paint for the living room, master bedroom, and kitchen. We'll probably watch the Oscars before bed. 

Onto the Foodie part of Friday:

If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
What's something you absolutely hate?
What's the best meal you've ever had?
Do you eat anything weird?
Do you have a signature dish (that you make)?

Re: Foodie Friday

• If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    PIZZA. I could eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for eternity. 

Cottage freakin cheese. It looks like vomit and it's an embarrassment to real cheese. 

In Gianni's Restaurant in Aruba, they make a pasta dish table side and cook it inside of one of those giant wheels of Parmesan cheese. They continuously scrape the sides of the cheese into the dish as they're cooking it. 

When I was little, I mixed mayonnaise into my spinach. I don't think I eat anything weird now, though.

Pickle dip is a family recipe that I've made for all of my friends and it's requested at anything I'm invited to/host. I also make a kick ass guacamole and bloody mary. 

• @buddysmom80 - I am not very graceful on skates so I probably will never venture into that part! Good luck with your eggs benny, that sounds SO good right now. Have fun at bingo! Win big, gurl. 

• If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    This is such a hard question!!!  I guess I would pick either the breakfast plate from the Guatemalan place we go to on the weekends, or the Acapulco plate at our favorite Mexican place.  The breakfast plate has homemade corn tortillas, potatoes/peppers/chorizo topped with eggs over medium and drizzled with salsas, served with black beans.  The Acapulco plate has two pork tacos, a cheese enchilada, rice, beans, salsas.

Sauerkraut.  Pickles.  McDonald's hamburgers.

I honestly can't answer this. 

My mom thinks we eat weird, but she is a fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy or meatloaf kind of cook.  I like to try ethnic dishes with lots of spices and flavors.  We eat a lot of traditional but healthier versions of the Hispanic food my husband grew up eating.

Probably my latin rice or habanero coconut cilantro rice.  They started off as Skinnytaste recipes but I morphed them into my own.  My husband's favorite dish that I make is my version of Arroz con Pollo.  My mom always asks me to make rolls or homemade tortillas.

These were fun questions!

Today I'm off at 11:30.  I need to go buy a gift for a wedding shower that is in a couple weeks.  We have our grocery shopping to do, and I am going to do my Drench work out tonight.  I did Sculpt last night instead.  We're finally going to have our filet mignon tonight for dinner!  I am going to do the Skinnytaste version and serve it with homemade rolls, roasted acorn squash, and asparagus.  Can't wait!

Tomorrow I am doing a ton of freezer cooking so that we have healthy food to eat after my surgery, or else H will resort to pizza every night.  So I'll spend the day doing that and also working from home a little, because I'll be missing work on Tuesday for my biopsy and other pre-op stuff.  Saturday night I think we're going out to eat with some friends.

We gave Bella 1/2 Zantac last night an hour before bed like the vet ordered, and NO BARF this morning!  Hooray!!

@Swazzle, I am jealous of the ice skating rink!!  That sounds like a lot of fun.
    Spaghetti!
    Pickled Herring ughhhh barf
    I had dinner at Restaurant Eugene in ATL and it was the most delicious meal I've ever had.
    Snails
    My baked Ziti is pretty good and I also make pretty good desserts according to my husband lol.

Tonight I'm going over to @LaBro 's house for  a SLEEPOVER! YAY! DH is going out of town for a bachelor party so Maddux and I are going to hang out with my bib sister and Cinders! 

On Saturday we may take the pups for a walk in a nearby park if the weather is nice. I may also start making my wreath for St. Patrick's day and maybe a Spring wreath.

Sunday DH comes home and I'm taking my parents to go see the house we might buy.
  • @CocoBellaF - Mmmm your dinner sounds amazing! 

• @buddysmom80 - YUM, eggs benedict!!  Maybe I should put that on our weekend brunch ideas sometime.  Tomorrow I'm making blueberry cornmeal waffles (LINK), eggs, bacon, fruit.  I have some frozen blueberries from the farmer's market. I haven't tried eggs benedict in a LONG time.  What recipe do you use?
  • @Swazzle - The community center sounds fun!  You can do it!

@Buddysmom80 - My sister loves her fries with mayo (she mixes ketchup in with the mayo too).

@SouthernPeach89 - I love how you make wreaths for the various holidays. 

--------------------------

If I could still eat gluten? Mac'n'cheese.  If I was stuck with Celiac?  Probably my breakfast meal I make on the weekends sometimes...omelete with ALL the veggies and some cheese, refried beens, some left over grilled chicken and tortillas.

Fish (other than shell fish).  My grandmother raised us and was very frugal and pretty poor but Danish.  She loved to make fish but could only really buy the slightly expired kind.  I can't eat it at all now (though I can make it for H).  And Chop Suey...she used to make that too from a can.  Ugh.  Loved her a lot but she was a bad cook.

The steak at Prime in Vegas.  It was melt in your mouth good.

I love Fat Free Ranch Dressing (Hidden Valley) and put that on a lot of wierd stuff. Also I put hot sauce on most things.

H would say my spicy cajun chicken and pasta or my brown rice chipoltle chicken.  I'm also a mean griller.  I would say my mushrooms and onion sautee.  Its the base of a lot of sauces and even though its simple, when done right it makes a dish.  People make it too quickly generally.  My Dad used to take 1.5 hours for his...I cut my time down to 45 minutes to an hour but that's pushing it on the 45 minutes.

---------------------------------------

I'm working today and have to catch up with a lot.  I've been so stressed here lately but I need to catch up with a few clients and balance things out.  I'm going to work out tonight and *hopefully* book a massage for tonight.  I really, really deserve it after the last two weeks. 

Saturday and Sunday morning H and I are going to workout (spin for me, weights and running for him).  Other than that I plan on cleaning the house and cooking for the week and watching the Oscars with H.  We have to book our vacation for April (we decided on a Carnival cruise to the South Carribean but still haven't booked because of all that has been going on).    I need a vacation stat.
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Butternut Squash soup at Panera (love that stuff!)
    Seafood - I don't like the texture or the smell
    The only thing I can think of is there was this little cafe type place near college, they had a chicken salad for lunch that came with a side of broccoli salad and this strawberry fluff stuff.  They are no longer in business, I'm not sure if it was the BEST meal I ever had, but it's the meal I miss the most.
    I cannot think of anything - the only 'acquired taste' food I can even think of that I eat are stuffed grape leaves.
    A lot of people like my 5 bean chili.

EDIT:  Formatting

Anniversary
  • @swazzle the banana foster french toast sounds amazing.  I may have to try to make that for H sometime.  Your town has an awesome community center, I've never been but I've heard so much about it.  I used to work at a fitness center right near there :-)

I am so glad it's Friday.  I'm slowly feeling better from this cold, but now H is sick.  I just want to be 100% again.  Tonight I have to be at the theater to run concession, and then I have rehearsal Saturday and Sunday, Sunday is also my mom's birthday, we ar planning a family dinner, but we'll see how we are feeling and if we go.  Sunday night is Walking Dead also.

This is tough, may be pasta because there are different things you can do with it
    meat
    Hm... not sure

I eat tofu and fake ground beef and fake chicken

I don't know that I have one really.  H loves that I make enchiladas. 

Anniversary

• @buddysmom80, @minskat30 - I put mayo and ketchup on my cheesesteaks. YUM.

• @swazzle I LOVE mayo on my steak and cheese subs!!!!!

@minskat30 in my neck of the woods mayo+ketchup=mayoketchup, they sell it in bottles at our local C-town

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Chocolate chip cookies. My life will be short but glorious.
    What's something you absolutely hate? Sweet potatoes. I've tried so many different ways, but I can't find a way I like them.
    What's the best meal you've ever had? I can't honestly answer this.
    Do you eat anything weird? Lutefisk. One bite every year with mashed potatoes in gratitude that there is more food than lye-soaked fish. And I do it cheerfully.
    Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? Not really? I do a mean beans and rice skillet.
  • I'm so happy that it's Friday! This has felt like a really long week. I have zero plans for the weekend but I'm thinking about going to get my hair cut after work today. I'm really sick of dealing with it being long. It's a pain in the ass.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? I think I could live off Potatoes.

What's something you absolutely hate? Peas. I can't stand peas.

What's the best meal you've ever had? BF makes really amazing Salmon Vermicelli. It's pain in the ass to make so he doesn't do it very often but it's so good! 

Do you eat anything weird? I like to try a lot of different things but I don't think I eat anything particularly weird just like lots of ethnic food.

Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? I lot of people really like the fajitas I make. I haven't made them in awhile though.

• edited February 2015
    If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Pizza.

What's something you absolutely hate? Mushrooms. I HATE the texture, and don't think they add any good flavor to anything.

What's the best meal you've ever had? I think it was @Csousa1 's birthday dinner a couple of weeks ago. Literally everything I tried that night was incredible. Among other things, I had prosciutto-wrapped scallops, truffle mashed potatoes, a mac n' cheese cake thing, fries with some fancy cheese sauce, tuna (I think?) tartare with avocado on top, and a raspberry mojito.

Do you eat anything weird? Toast with grape jam and eggs on top.

Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? I make a lot of good dishes, but I am convinced that my BBQ chicken wings are the best I've ever had, and FI will back me up on that. I don't even like getting wings at any bar/restaurant because I know they won't even compare to mine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It sounds like everyone has good weekends lined up!

@minskat30 - I made GF mac and cheese from scratch a few weeks ago, and I even started with a butter and cornstarch roux.  It turned out fantastic.

I have another super busy weekend lined up.  Last weekend was rough, but fortunately I was home sick on Friday, and then we had Monday off for the holiday, and Tuesday was a snow day, so I finally got some real rest.

Tomorrow, I have my normal run.  We're either doing hills or an 8 miler, and then following that up with brunch with the girls.  Tomorrow night, I have a Spirits Tasting with the girls from our training group.  Our fearless leader's BF is in the process of opening his own distillery, so he's going to educate us on the intricacies of spirits.  There will also be wine.  I plan on being hammered at the end of it.

Sunday, I'm meeting up with @beanbot2002 for more dress shopping, and then I have a BM dress fitting after that.  M and I are supposed to go to a Lunar New Year party at a friend's house, but we're also supposed to get snow on Saturday, and they live up in MD, so I guess we'll see how that plays out. Estimates have run from 3-5" to 8-11".  Clearly our weather people are on top of their shit.

--
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup.  SO MUCH NOM.

Cottage cheese. It's an abomination and isn't actually cheese. 

For our first (dating) anniversary, we went to this cute little place called Ripple, and I ended up having lamb, M had venison.  The food was amazing, the portions were perfect, and I've never been so well taken care of as far as gluten free.

I also love mayo with my french fries.  I don't eat ketchup, so I sub BBQ sauce mixed with ranch dressing for things you'd normally put ketchup on (with the exception of french fries.)

M's birthday dinner has become my signature dish/meal.  I make dijon crusted lamb (rack/leg), scalloped potatoes, roasted veggies, and then for dessert, I make tiramisu.  We had his parents over for his birthday in 2013.  His mom is still raving about my tiramisu.
    I french with my man
  • @peekaboo2011 - Your signature dish sounds amazing!

• @bethsmiles lol the only green veggie FI will eat is peas. It's so weird.
    @buddysmom80 YAY new floors!
    @cocobellaf I'm doubling up on Core and Drench tonight. Eeeeek!
    @southernpeach89 Have fun this weekend with @labro!

If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Cheeseburgers. God I love them. There are a ton of other things I wouldn't mind eating forever though.... like Reese's, or breakfast sammiches, or chicken enchiladas...
    What's something you absolutely hate? Mustard. Just the smell of it makes me gag.
    What's the best meal you've ever had? Probably steak at Ruth's Chris, which is where FI and I will be going on Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. :) Mmmm looking forward to that filet mignon.
    Do you eat anything weird? Is PB2 weird? I eat that every morning with a banana. 
    Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? I make pretty good mac n cheese, but it's really simple. I also make a good lemon pepper chicken, but I haven't made it in a long time. My aunt makes the best spaghetti I've ever had, so I'd like to master that one day too.

Today I'm taking my mom out to lunch after her doctor's appointment. She said the pain has lessened a bit, so hopefully whatever is wrong isn't that serious. Tonight I may break my promise on no cheat meals this month. We're celebrating a friend's birthday by hanging out his and his wife's house, gaming, taking advantage of their double ovens and making pizzas, and then we'll have some cake. I think I can do two PiYo workouts beforehand to keep up the calorie deficit, but we shall see. 

Tomorrow FI and I need to run a few errands, and then tomorrow night we're going to Ruth's Chris for our anniversary. I'm so excited! They have the best steak. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Sunday we're going to hang out with my cousin/MOH and her boyfriend. I think we'll end up discussing Vegas, which I'm really looking forward to.

Methinks Monday will be an extra day off due to some forecasted "snow" and ice. I may end up working from home that day if schools aren't cancelled... I'm confident in my ability to drive in these conditions, but I'm not confident in other people's abilities to drive.

• @peekabpp2011 - Did you use a recipe?  Share if you did.  H made me gluten free mac'n'cheese for V Day and it was wonderful.  Not quite like the original but still really wonderful.  We used this recipe... LINK  No idea why the title is "Healthy" since it clearly isn't.  We had to sub a few things (more corn startch and GF flour for one)
  • @eilis1228 - Eep!  Drench and Core?  Have fun with that!
    French fries, hands down
    Mayonnaise. Yuck.
    Nut crusted rockfish with a side of veggies and a glass of Monchoff Riesling at Emeril's restaurant at the MGM. Followed closely by the lobster dinner we have at home every Christmas Eve with my family
    On occasion I've been known to dip french fries in a Wendy's frosty. That's about it.
    I'm not much of a cook, so no :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• minskat30 said:
    @peekabpp2011 - Did you use a recipe?  Share if you did.  H made me gluten free mac'n'cheese for V Day and it was wonderful.  Not quite like the original but still really wonderful.  We used this recipe... LINK  No idea why the title is "Healthy" since it clearly isn't.  We had to sub a few things (more corn startch and GF flour for one)
    I totally just made it up as I went.  I didn't bake it though, because I am lazy.
    I french with my man
  • cu97tiger said:
    On occasion I've been known to dip french fries in a Wendy's frosty. That's about it.

I do this too! It's delicious!

• @cocobellaf I'll likely be crawling everywhere the rest of the night lol. I've fallen two days behind on the PiYo schedule though and really want to catch back up.

Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food.  Mostly because...lamb.

Raw tomatoes in salads or on sandwiches (although like @buddysmom80 I'll seat salsa and pico).  Also anything jelly--I can't stand the texture.

Oh, this is hard...Mr. H and I are sort of foodies and we've had so many.  There is an incredible restaurant in DC called The Partisan that I adore.  We'll go with that.

I put wheat germ on vanilla ice cream.  When I was a kid, one of my medications only came in pill form (the capsule with the granules in it), and I was too little to swallow pills, so my parents had to break up the capsule and put the granules in something.  One of the only ways I would take it was in ice cream...but only if I didn't know it was in there.  So they started putting wheat germ on top to disguise the texture of the granules, and it stuck.

I'm the resident bread-maker.  Especially since Mr. H got me a bread machine for Christmas.

----------------
    Happy Friday, ladies!  I'm glad to see this week come to an end, but I have a crazy weekend and I know I won't get as much writing done as I need to.

Today I'm at work until 3:30, then I'm going to head home and try to spend the evening writing.  My deadline is quickly approaching and I'm starting to feel panicked! I'm making salmon, brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes for dinner, so that shouldn't be too labor-intensive and hopefully I can pour a glass of wine and write.

Tomorrow I have to present a paper at a conference at a school about an hour away.  I'm not really looking forward to it...I submitted to the conference because I have to in order to qualify for travel reimbursements from our local chapter of the society hosting it, and I need the reimbursements because I went to a conference in Los Angeles last fall that was super expensive.  The only good part is that my dad is going with me to the conference (he's a historian too), so we'll get to spend some time together.  Then I'm going to come home and clean the house and hopefully do some more writing, but probably not, because my house is a disaster.

Sunday I have the Rite of Election at the Cathedral in the city, so that will take up most of the afternoon.  Then I'm going to find somewhere to write and then take a hot yoga class in the evening.  I'm trying to up my yoga classes from 1-2 a week to 2-3 a week, so I want to get it in while I can.

I'm also in constant contact today with the school that's flying me out for an interview next month.  Hopefully I'll have details on that by the end of the day!!
  • ashleybunny8ashleybunny8 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

Tonight BF and I are going out with some friends. A local bar brings in arcade games and game consoles, so it's pretty fun. They also do a raffle, so maybe we'll win some new games!

Tomorrow we are going to BJ's and Costco to compare prices and (hopefully) get a membership for one of them. We're also on the hunt for a nice new set of pots and pans, so maybe we can find a good set. Then, tomorrow night our friend is hosting a wig party at a club.

Sunday I will be shopping with a girlfriend of mine who has lost a lot of weight recently and needs new clothes. We'll probably grab some lunch while we're out.

If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? This is a tough one, but I would probably pick fried rice w/ shrimp and vegetables.
    What's something you absolutely hate? SALAD. and ham. ugh!
    What's the best meal you've ever had? Probably something on a cruise.
    Do you eat anything weird? I used to put butter on my poptarts when I was little ...ok, sometimes I still do. :) I also prefer my cake with no icing- it's always too sweet.
    Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? I really love making chicken and dumplings, or a baked dish, like ziti or lasagna. I wouldn't say they are "signature" dishes, but they sure are crowd pleasers.
  • I'm feeling fabulous today, ladies. Finally got laid after 3 weeks. It's the 20th, our monthly date night, and BF is going to pick a brand new restaurant for us to visit. It's Friday, and tomorrow I get to go see R&H's Cinderella in a brand new dress and then do a wine and paint night! I'm glowing today, and wearing insanely comfy new jeans.

Spaghetti. But only if I also have tons of grated parmesan to put on it. I often get asked "Would you like some spaghetti with your parmesan?"

Shrimp. Or basically any cooked seafood. But I won't even eat sushi if it has shrimp in it. The texture scares me.

My little sister and I ordered Georgia Peaches at the Cheesecake Factory, then ate a meal of entirely appetizers: Fried Mac 'n Cheese Balls, Avacado Egg Rolls, and Thai Lettuce Wraps. Then took cheesecake to go.

My dad got me hooked on eating my hot dogs on a piece of bread with peanut butter on one half and miracle whip on the other. And then sometimes also ketchup.

My lasagna! I bring it to most functions, with or without meat.

----------------------------------------------

@Swazzle - The community center sounds awesome! I have one near my house with a lot of those perks, but when I went in to visit it was so overrun with crazy children that I decided against it, haha. Then again, I'm pretty sure I visited in the summer.

@buddysmom80 - Drag queens are my favorite kind of host. Have a blast at bingo!.... However, I will challenge my lasagna against your lasagna. ;)

@CocoBellaF - That's awesome that you're getting so prepared for after your surgery! It would make me feel awful eating takeout/pizza every night, especially if I'm already stuck on the couch.

@southernpeach89 - How much parmesan goes on YOUR spaghetti? ;)

@minskat30 - Your signature dishes sound awesome! Teach me! And good luck on booking your vacation! It sounds so so lovely.

@Dignity100 - Seafood is gross. I feel ya.

@bethsmiles - Hair growth is the bane of my existence. For some reason I can't seem to make a haircut appointment until I'm about ready to kill myself, and then I just chop all of it off because it's pissing me off so badly. I hope you enjoy your fresh hairdo!

@Hummingbird125 - Mushrooms are so freaking weird. Good choice.

@cu97tiger - French fries + Ice cream = HEAVEN....... Not weird. Just genius.

@futuremrshistorian - In the wise words of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - DON'T PANIC. You got this!

@ashleybunny8 - I'm with you on the icing thing. I scrape most of mine off of cake.

• TwoDimes said:
    @alpacina, you seem great and all... but that hot dog thing is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard!!!

Speak for yourself, Miss Room Temperature Ketchup! ;)

But yes. I would never have tried it if my dad weren't already doing it in front of me all the time.

• @Swazzle Your community center sounds amazing!!!!

@buddysmom80 H and I have been buying our shovels from Lowe's. We get the Kobalt brand because if their shovels break they come with a guarantee that they will replace the shovel (or other tool) for FREE! H and I have done this a couple of times already with some outdoor tools. Totally worth it.

@peekaboo2011 I hope you or @beanbot2002 comes back and shares more dress photos!

This weekend @southernpeach89 is coming over so she isn't stuck in her house all alone. She's bringing Maddux too! I've already told Cinders and she's started pacing and whining because she's so excited to see her cousin! I'm making salad and chicken parmesan for dinner and then we're baking chocolate chip cookies for dessert! I'm also assembling an overnight breakfast casserole for food tomorrow morning. Noms!

Saturday we'll either go for a walk if the weather is nice or we'll have a craft day. I have a couple of wreaths that I want to make and so does my sister so we'll make a mess in my living room while the dogs run like little heathens all over the house.

No plans for Sunday. H and I will probably continue work on the walls so I can finally PAINT!

If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Will I get fat? If yes, salad. If no, pizza. Every single damn day.
    What's something you absolutely hate? Cottage cheese. It looks like coagulated semen.
    What's the best meal you've ever had? Ugh, soooo hard! One time I made gourmet mushroom risotto and chicken mushroom piccatta and it was absolutely incredible. For an eating out meal - probably at The Ordinary in Charleston. We ordered a massive 3-tier tower covered in oysters, clams, lobster, shrimp, crab, you name, it was on there and it was raw and absolutely delicious!!
    Do you eat anything weird? Absolutely. I really like uni (sea urchin sushi), octopus, squid, eel, super duper spicy things, ma po tofu which has this fermented black bean ingredient, I pretty much will try anything.
    Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? Probably my deviled eggs recipe stolen from Southern Living (if you look for it, it's called Best Stuffed Eggs). Whenever we have a get together I'm always requested to bring it and I make it for all of my bbqs.

• @AlPacina - I do the letting it grow out until I get too frustrated and then chopping it all off thing too. I always think I want long hair, until I actually have long hair.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards