Not Engaged Yet

Thursday Thoughts

2»

Re: Thursday Thoughts

• @cu97tiger - Thank you and YGPM.
  • @TwoDimes That's difficult. I think it's going to be harder for you especially because of her breed. She's going to be really stubborn and independant and it's going to take a TON of strong and consistent leadership from both you and your FI to get her to be trained like you want. Maybe in a couple months you may also want to consider formal training somewhere (not PetSmart...)? I don't know what age they prefer to start at, but I think for a dog as smart as she is, she (and you) would really benefit from it!

• Thanks for all the healthy thoughts and vibes for my mom! I swear, lately if it's not one thing, it's another with her health. We'll find out more information tomorrow afternoon. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Talked to the vet!  He's pretty sure she's just got some gastritis from a chewbone I gave her, no flare-up.  Going to put her on some Zantac and hopefully she'll be puke-free in a day or two.  Yay!!

@eilis1228 - Thinking about your mom and family.  I hope you all get the best news possible tomorrow.  *hug*
  • My thoughts: I had a skype date with a fellow NEY-er this week and we had a conversation about cervical mucus. It's all I can think about today. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • @eilis1228 I am keeping all the things crossed for your mom tomorrow!!

@audrewah I don't even want to know.....

• @labro, learn to spell my UN right. Gosh.

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • @TwoDimes - for biting - when I had my first pyr, she was a horrible at biting/chewing/nipping.  One trainer told me to bite her back; I don't know if she was serious or joking - but she was getting bigger and leaving obvious marks and I was frustrated and nipped her back on her ear (go ahead and judge) not even to the point where she yelped or anything - but she NEVER bit/chewed on me again - she would mouth me (which I was fine with).  I had done everything the trainers recommended besides 'bite her back' - yelping, bitter apple/lime, hot sauce, toy redirection - none of it worked.  She remained a chewer her whole life - stuffed toys were destroyed in less than 5 minutes and she had a large collection of natural bones (not the rawhides, those are not too good for dogs - they can swell in the dogs digestive tract and cause major issues).
    I know another person who scent trained - she scented all her dogs toys with like an almond oil and basically trained her 'these things that smell like this are yours - bite them, not other stuff'.

Anniversary
  • audrewuh said:
    @labro, learn to spell my UN right. Gosh.
    AGGGHHH JFC I DID SPELL IT WRONG! Don't hate me!!

Look at the cute owls from HP!

• @TwoDimes - I don't think I'd really recommend the 'bite her back' tactic... it was just my story - I was at wits end and when I bit her back - she had nipped my boob really hard where it even put holes in the shirt I was wearing, and it's a pretty sensitive spot to get bit with sharp puppy teeth.  I'm sure you can imagine I probably wasn't in the best mindset when I made the decision.

Anniversary
  • @CocoBellaF - Oooh, I remember that you teach piano now. Duh. And thanks for the well wishes! Only two hours until the verdict! ;)

• @labro I forgive you only because of the owls. And because Jesus says I have to. 

But do it again, and I'll cut you. 

• lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited February 2015

@eilis1228 - Thanks...I am so sick of being sick! Sending lots of good vibes for your mom.

@southernpeach89 - I love the house, it's so cute!

@CocoBellaF - Glad to hear your pup is okay :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @swazzle I hope your H keeps it up! I know the feeling. FI used to be really bad at it (and still is sometimes), but lately he has been better, especially since I WFH late at night after being in the office all day, so he takes care of the house work. 

@southernpeach89 that's an awesome house! I hope that everything works out! 

@eilis1228 I hope your mom is okay! 

My thoughts: 

I am so grateful that this is a short week, and the week of Chinese New Year. Otherwise I would be swamped right now, but I needed a mental break. 

I'm really missing weather changes. Sure, being in the land of eternal summer is awesome most of the time, but I miss the rain, thunderstorms, and even snow. FI and I really want to go snowboarding but none of the local mountains have deep enough snow. 

I'm so grateful that friends and family are already thinking about planning a bridal shower and bachelorette party for me (they brought it up), but asking questions like that is making me wish we were getting married this summer instead of next summer. I have to be calm and let the time pass for now. 

I'm really starting to dislike my job, but am also nervous about what the future holds. I think that I do want to go into law, but I'm worried that I will go back to school for it only to dislike my job/career again on the other side. 

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    @AlPacina yay! 

You guys. FI just came to my office almost in tears. One of his coworkers went to the hospital last night with stomach pain and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The doctors say he has a week. 

FI considered this man a mentor, and really enjoyed working with him and learning from him. I don't even know what to do to calm FI down. I know the guy too, but not as well as FI does. I mentioned to FI that maybe we should send a card, but now I am rethinking that because what would we even say? "Get well soon" seems wrong. I just don't know what to do. This is going to be a difficult few weeks to come.  

ETF: typo

• @AuroraRose41 - Oh my God, I am so so sorry. That's awful, I don't even know what to say. I'm tearing up for him and for your FI; is there nothing they can do at this point?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @ImCooper86 I did a little reading on Pancreatic Cancer once FI left to go talk to his coworkers, and this is what the article said (directly copied): 

"Pancreatic cancer often has a poor prognosis, even when diagnosed early. Pancreatic cancer typically spreads rapidly and is seldom detected in its early stages, which is a major reason why it's a leading cause of cancer death. Signs and symptoms may not appear until pancreatic cancer is quite advanced and complete surgical removal isn't possible."

It doesn't sound like there is much that they can do. :(. I'm hoping for a miracle, but I'm not even sure if it is possible to survive this given that the doctors told him he had a week. 

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    @TwoDimes I did actually post a question over on the E board as well, just because I know FI wants to do something, but everything that I came up with just didn't seem right. Thank you for the suggestion. It is really appreciated. The whole thing is just heartbreaking. 

ETA: more info 

• @aurorarose41 - you make meals and take them over. You call and check in on them, daily. You offer to drive to the hospital. You cry with them. 

Cancer is a bitch. I can never thank the amazing people who did these things for me and my family. 

• @aurorarose41 - Oh my goodness, that is so sad. Big hugs.

• @AuroraRose41 - One of my old managers passed away from pancreatic cancer.  I know he wasn't given long when diagnosed, but he lived for about 2 years with it before deciding he was done with treatment. 

Really - the only thing you can do is be there for him and his family.  If he's in the hospital, maybe grab a few games and go visit.

Anniversary
  • I just saw this.  @AuroraRose41, that is so sad.  I like all of @audrewuh's suggestions.  Nobody wants to go through something like this alone, and even though it's uncomfortable and awkward and sad, you can at least be there.  I'm sorry.  :(
  • @AuroraRose41 - With my only experience knowing someone with PC, they weren't around long. Definitely not long enough for me to get to see them again after the diagnosis. If you're close enough, definitely visit. I'm so sorry you two are going through this.

• Thank you all for the support. FI and I were not extremely close to him, but FI would consider him at least a friend. I told FI last night that I would be more than happy to bake something for him and his family if FI wanted to bring them something. FI was going to think about it, and wants to find out whether or not he is in the hospital still before we decide what to do. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards