Not Engaged Yet
Options

Foodie Friday

2»

Re: Foodie Friday

• Options

@AlPacina - The cajun chicken I sort of make up as I go depending on the spices I have. I'll try to describe it.  I started with a recipe online at some point and made it more of my own.

The base is mushroom and onion sauteed with butter for a loooong time (45 minutes to an hour on low). 

The chicken is cut into chunks and seasoned with paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregeno, dried basil if you have it and any other good spices on hand (thyme, H loves tumeric too)..well salt and pepper too. Chicken is then put into a hot pan with oil and a bit of butter mettled into the oil for color. 

Once the chicken is done, take it out of the pan and deglaze the pan with white wine to scrape up all the goodies...then take a swig from the bottle (mandatory).  ;)  Into the deglazed pan goes some garlic, a few (3-4) tomatoes and any other veggies you want (bell pepper, brocoli, etc.) to saute.  Remove after a few minutes from pan.

Again, degalaze pan if needed with wine (and another swig for you) and make the sauce...about 2 cups broth and 1/2 cup tp 3/4 cup white wine (depending on how much cream you add in later).  Once that bubbles, add 3/4 to a cup of half and half.  Once that thickens a little to to the consistency you want, add in the sauteed mushroom and onions, sauteed veggies and cooked chicken and voila.  Just serve over pasta of your choice.

• Options
    AlPacinaAlPacina member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

@minskat30 - You are my favorite person in the world right now. I can't believe you took the time to type all that out for me! Thank you!

ETA: The deglazing (drinking) sounds like the best part!

• Options
    @AlPacina - Always happy to help a fellow foodie out...and the wine is my favorite part too.  ;)
  • Options
    @AlPacina Haha actually I'm not a huge fan of putting Parmesan on my spaghetti. I like it with just regular meat sauce or marinara sauce. 
  • Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    If you had to pick 1 thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    Pizza. Hands down. FI and I already eat more of it then we probably should. 

What's something you absolutely hate? Shellfish. I only eat chilled shrimp cocktail and New England Clam Chowder. Anything else I absolutely hate, and I have tried many types while trying to keep an open mind. I love regular fish though. 

What's the best meal you've ever had? On my birthday last year, FI and I went to a fancy restaurant in La Jolla and did a 5 course "Chef's Mercy" meal. I don't even remember what I ate, but it was all so delicious and so much fun not knowing what would come out next. 

Do you eat anything weird? I like alligator and venison. I also like to dip PB&J sandwiches into Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup when I am sick. I remember always doing it as a kid and it's the only thing I want when I have a cold. 

Do you have a signature dish (that you make)? Do I have to pick just one? I make a mean Stuffed French Toast, and the best Vodka sauce you have ever tasted. Oh, and I make White Cake Cupcakes with mini Pumpkin Pies inside and topped with Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting, all from scratch. FI was also just craving my Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce too. Yea.....I like to cook and bake when I have free time. 

ETA: Forgot to say hi! 

@swazzle that community center sounds awesome! 

Today is an easy day at work, but my period is kicking my butt today. (TMI alert) I don't think this new birth control is working too well for me, as I am bleeding much more than I did on my last one. But I switched because I had 0 sex drive on my last one, and this one has definitely helped with that. At least the bleeding is still better than if I wasn't on BC at all, but it's still not fun. 

I think I might be leaving early today. FI and I don't have much planned this weekend. Maybe we will drive up to Riverside and see his brother. We also are trying to do this new thing where we explore a bit more of San Diego in our free time, so maybe we will go somewhere "touristy" this weekend too. 

• Options
    @bethsmiles and @AlPacina - I used to do that with my hair all the time...get frustrated with it, color it, chop it off.

Then I met Mr. H.  He's completely color blind (literally, can only see shades of black/white/grey).  When I met him, my hair was to my chin and blonde.  Now, it's halfway down my back and red...because I love it red, and because every time he sees me he always tells me "I love your hair long."  I could chop it off tomorrow and he probably wouldn't care too much, but I feel like I should give him something, poor colorblind guy.  :-) 
  • Options

@futuremrshistorian- aww. that's cute! I've colored my hair so often, I don't think BF has ever seen my natural hair color though. I'm trying to budget better though so coloring my hair is not going to happen anymore.

• Options
    @bethsmiles - I'm trying to budget better too...but my hair color stays as is.  :-)  I consider it part of the "taking care of myself" budget (along with healthy food, decent wine, and the antidepressants...)
  • Options
    I'll go with a lot of others and choose pizza.

What's something you absolutely hate?
    Most white condiments, mayo, miracle whip, ranch. Everyone thinks it's pretty strange.

What's the best meal you've ever had?
    A filet mignon dinner at The Grand Marlin near Pensacola in FL. The second best part was the apple crisp for dessert. Hands down my favorite dessert of all time.

Do you eat anything weird?
    I actually used to be quite a picky eater, so not too many weird things. Something that's unusual to people I know is putting ketchup on potato chips and grilled cheese, but I believe those are fairly common.

Do you have a signature dish (that you make)?
    I've recently picked up cooking, and I love it. When BFs family gets together, they always suggest I make my cupcakes or apple pies. My roasted potatoes are also fairly popular. At home, BF really likes my homemade pizza and chicken alfredo.

----------------------------------------
    @minskat30 That recipe sounds amazing.

----------------------------------------
    This weekend there's a banquet being hosted by a club my brother is in. He was voted president last semester. I think it's a huge deal, and I'm so proud of my little bro. So that's my plan for tomorrow night.

Other than that I'll be cleaning and organizing the house all weekend. We moved in a little over a year ago, and there's still some boxes in the basement. It's a little embarrassing...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love pizza and pasta...but I guess I'll go with pizza since I can get that delivered to the house

What's something you absolutely hate?
    I'm a really picky eater so there are a lot of foods I don't like unfortunately. Just looking at mayo does make me want to gag. FI is even worse, he starts dry heaving if you even say mayo lol

What's the best meal you've ever had?

Nothing in particular is standing out in my mind.

Do you eat anything weird?
    When I was little I used to eat a slice of American cheese alongside my PB&J sandwich. People think it's the strangest thing.

Do you have a signature dish (that you make)?

I pretty much only make pasta. So trying to make all kinds of different sauces is kind of my thing. I usually always make buffalo chicken dip for gatherings with friends.

_________

@swazzle that center sounds awesome. I'd love to have an outdoor pool close to my house to go to in the summer! I lay out on my front porch to tan and we're on the third floor so it gets hot as hell up there.

@bethsmiles I feel you on the long hair. I feel like EVERY time my hair finally gets long I immediately want to chop it all off. Right now I'm saying I'm never cutting my hair again because I'm sad it won't be as long as I'd like it to be for the wedding. I also love to color my hair- I get bored with it really easily. Right now I need to get it done but it's reddish purply and I'm debating whether I want to color it black. I need wigs so I can change it up all the time lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards