Offbeat Weddings

Trouble?

Does/did anyone else have trouble sticking to their theme? I feel like a college kid trying to pick majors. I originally started with a garden tea wedding theme with old books for the base of centerpieces since I'm a huge reader and love a good book with a cup of tea. Colors were a rustic blue, pale pink, and tan. Then I liked the idea of a paper flower garden wedding since I'm not a fan of real flowers and I could be more vibrant with the colors. I've already almost finished the paper flower photobooth backdrop and have some ideas for centerpieces...but now I want to add little bits and pieces of Doctor Who into the mix since FI and I are huge fans of the show and it was a big backdrop to our relationship. Would it be tacky to keep the paper garden theme and add small bits of Doctor Who?

On a side note, I did get a Doctor Who silhouette cake topper with the groom carrying the bide in his arms with a silhouette Tardis in the background. I also would like to have a Doctor Who "poster" guest book from Esty but haven't bought it.

Re: Trouble?

• Don't overthink it. You're getting married; the theme is 'wedding.' Your decor can be whatever you like but if you take anything too far it begins to look like a child's birthday party. You can do paper flowers and a Doctor Who topper and guestbook without making any of those things a theme.
  • Does/did anyone else have trouble sticking to their theme? ...but now I want to add little bits and pieces of Doctor Who into the mix since FI and I are huge fans of the show and it was a big backdrop to our relationship. Would it be tacky to keep the paper garden theme and add small bits of Doctor Who?

If adding Doctor Who bits to another theme is tacky, then I want to be so tacky people mistake me for a porcupine.

I'm trying to figure out a tea-and-Who wedding theme, too. I've been thinking of doing a tea theme with Whovian touches (hopefully subtle). Or possibly a Chinese theme since his family is Chinese (red, dragon & pheonix, etc) with Doctor Who touches (small, so it's not all fourth-of-July ish). Basically I haven't fully chosen a theme yet. >.< Definitely like trying to choose a major.

My plan is to be sneaky and stick Who-themed things in unexpected places while keeping with the theme. What about having a TARDIS teapot as one of your vases? Or put a fez and bowtie among the flowers? Use bowties instead of bows on the paper flower arrangements. Write something in Gallifreyan on your cake with gold ink. Add bananas to the tables so that everyone at the party has a banana. Stick a blinking red light somewhere, and a statue looking at a mirror. Things you'll know and your friends will recognize, but your grandma would totally miss... unless she's a Whovian too, of course.
  • Nothing is wrong with a theme, just keep it subtle.  You don't want your wedding to end up looking like a kid's themed birthday party. 

• I'm now imagining tiny party hat boutineers, animal balloon centerpieces, and a photo booth with clown hair and oversized lollipops as props. Sounds like fun, actually. ;)

Do what you want, then rock it. Rock it to the moon and back (that doesn't mean you can be subtle, just be sure you love what you do and don't do what you don't love). I also check out the Offbeat Brides wedding site a lot, too, and there are many Whovian weddings of various levels of decor and theme. Doesn't have the planning features of TK, but lots of cute ideas.
  • My decor was steampunkish and vintagey wedding with bits of Doctor who. You're overthinking this.

The Tardis Trashcan we used for cards. I also have more pics of my wedding on this thread:

Anniversary
  • I suppose I really am over thinking it. I too like simplistic decor and I definitely am not aiming for child's birthday party. I definitely like some of the ideas dropped here and the pictures from your wedding, Chibiyui are beautiful! I'll have to check out your photos. I already have a card box, actually a small to medium old wooden chest, and several mini metal lanterns that I was going to use for the center pieces with a halo of paper/sola flowers around it...but I might change my mind. -_-

Thank you so much for the reassurance everyone! It really helped me calm down and realize I'm way over thinking this. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards