Wedding Invitations & Paper

Weirdish invite question

Okay, so invites are a long time away for me, but this idea is bouncing around in my head, and I'd like to hash it out and see what the Knotties think of it before it gets to crunch time.

We're inviting 27 including our officiant and his wife. It comes out to a grand total of about 15 invites (including those going to our parents). So something I've been thinking about is, instead of a bunch of inserts, maybe doing the invites like a greeting card and sending a little handwritten note in each one detailing where the ceremony is, where the reception is, some hotels in the area in various price ranges, and a little personal note from us.

Is this a stupid idea? Is it something that could be done? Am I overthinking this like I've done just about everything else, or is this something you'd like to receive (given that the handwriting is legible)?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Weirdish invite question

• I think I'd rather get that than some generic invite (x150) that cost a fortune and that I'll look at for a second and lose after the wedding. It's definitely a creative and unique idea.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I believe this is traditionally how invites were done, so I say go for it.
  • There is nothing wrong with handwritten invitations, providing they are properly worded.  As an alternative, you might want to check out Vistaprint.com.  They make custom printed invitations in very small quantities, as few as 10.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    There is nothing wrong with handwritten invitations, providing they are properly worded.  As an alternative, you might want to check out Vistaprint.com.  They make custom printed invitations in very small quantities, as few as 10.
    Oh no, I'm not worried about the printing. I worked in a print shop for 2 years. I'm getting them printed here locally. And obviously I'm bringing my wording here before it goes out! I know the queens of correct invite wording all live here. :)

What I'm talking about is designing an invite (or the background of one), printing it as a greeting-card type thing, and writing a note on the inside with a personal note and the "insert" info (reception location, a general idea of the food options available, hotels in the area at various price points, etc). 

I dunno, maybe it's not a good idea. I just feel like with such a small guest list, it should have some kind of personal note.
  • I love the idea!!!
  • I'm not a fan of this idea. I'd much rather receive the personal handwritten note when you thank me for a gift. I'd probably actually wonder if you couldn't afford invitations if you went this route.
  • I think that sounds lovely.

• mlg78 said:

I'm not a fan of this idea. I'd much rather receive the personal handwritten note when you thank me for a gift. I'd probably actually wonder if you couldn't afford invitations if you went this route.

And what would be so bad about that?

• CMGragain said:
    There is nothing wrong with handwritten invitations, providing they are properly worded.  As an alternative, you might want to check out Vistaprint.com.  They make custom printed invitations in very small quantities, as few as 10.
    Oh no, I'm not worried about the printing. I worked in a print shop for 2 years. I'm getting them printed here locally. And obviously I'm bringing my wording here before it goes out! I know the queens of correct invite wording all live here. :)

What I'm talking about is designing an invite (or the background of one), printing it as a greeting-card type thing, and writing a note on the inside with a personal note and the "insert" info (reception location, a general idea of the food options available, hotels in the area at various price points, etc). 

I dunno, maybe it's not a good idea. I just feel like with such a small guest list, it should have some kind of personal note.
    As long as you're handwriting anything, it would be better to simply hand-write the entire invitation. Remember, printing (and engraving) are considered substitutes for hand-written invitations, not the other way around. The latter are far more personal and elegant if your time and finances allow.

To have the most important part (the invitation proper) be printed and the "extras" be hand-written exactly reverses their importance. If you don't feel you have the time to hand-write everything, you should do the exact opposite of what you're proposing: hand-write the invite and then enclose a pre-printed card with the additional information.

• I agree with LtPowers.

I'd be very impressed with a beautifully handwritten invitation. Very elegant.

If you go through all that trouble, you should skip the RSVP cards. I would hope the invitees would handwrite a response to you, in keeping with the traditional style of your invitation.

If you're still ambitious enough to handwrite the insert information, go for it.

• mlg78 said:

I'm not a fan of this idea. I'd much rather receive the personal handwritten note when you thank me for a gift. I'd probably actually wonder if you couldn't afford invitations if you went this route.

I would still send a handwritten thank you note in the event I received something from any person. I just genuinely think handwriting the invites would be fun.

@LtPowers‌ and @MairePoppy I hadn't thought about that. But frankly, it's 15 invites. I could knock the invites out in a couple of days, so it'd add very little real time to it. Would it be okay to print the background design (/guidelines) and then handwrite the invites on that printed design?
  • I had just 5 invitations and I didn't hand write mine. I'm all about ease. I really don't want to be writing a big ol' long thing multiple times.

But by all means go for it!
  • This is a nice idea.
  • edited February 2015
    I would still send a handwritten thank you note in the event I received something from any person. I just genuinely think handwriting the invites would be fun. @LtPowers‌ and @MairePoppy I hadn't thought about that. But frankly, it's 15 invites. I could knock the invites out in a couple of days, so it'd add very little real time to it. Would it be okay to print the background design (/guidelines) and then handwrite the invites on that printed design?

Absolutely, yes!  I think that would be beautiful.

I usually throw wedding invitations away after the event, but I would save yours because you took the extra care to invite me in a personal way. 

• ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    mlg78 said: I'm not a fan of this idea. I'd much rather receive the personal handwritten note when you thank me for a gift. I'd probably actually wonder if you couldn't afford invitations if you went this route.

SIB

Handwritten is actually the most traditional way of doing invitations. The reason engraved print was invented was to mimic the indent of handwritten material. 

I would never in a million years wonder if this was a cost saving move. I'd think how thoughtful and personal, and what a breath of fresh air. 
  • I think inserts should only include supplemental information. So put the ceremony/reception info on the invite/greeting card and then right a personalized note as an insert. I wouldn't want an intimate, heartfelt note on my fridge, so I would probably end up losing the insert and therefore the important information.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards