Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR tipping question

I have to drop off my car at the shop tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping they can give me a ride to my office. The shop doesn't have a courtesy shuttle per se, but I know one of the guys there sometimes gives rides to customers dropping off their cars. Is it appropriate or expected to tip the driver? I'm not being stingy and I'd be happy to tip him, but I don't want to awkwardly hand him money if that isn't normal. What do the etiquette gurus say?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR tipping question

• I probably wouldn't. I had a mechanic that used to offer to give a ride someplace, but I always took the bus.  

How far away is your office?

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I've never known to tip people like this. But DH tips fucking everyone (and sometimes it's kind of embarrassing to me, but it makes him feel good so whatever).
  • I wouldn't tip, but maybe offer to buy him a coffee on your ride to the office if he wants to stop at a drive thru?
  • I've never thought about this one, but I probably wouldn't tip. I really like the idea of getting him a coffee, but I'd get it before you get to the shop versus asking him to go through drive thru. He probably has stuff to do and wants to make the trip as quickly as possible.
    *********************************************************************************

• blabla89 said:
    I have to drop off my car at the shop tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping they can give me a ride to my office. The shop doesn't have a courtesy shuttle per se, but I know one of the guys there sometimes gives rides to customers dropping off their cars. Is it appropriate or expected to tip the driver? I'm not being stingy and I'd be happy to tip him, but I don't want to awkwardly hand him money if that isn't normal. What do the etiquette gurus say?
    I could be wrong, but I believe it's considered inappropriate to tip someone doing you a favor (as opposed to doing their job). Occasional tokens of thanks (primarily foodstuffs) are acceptable.

• I'd also offer a coffee but I probably wouldn't offer a cash tip.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I work in an auto shop. No one ever tips the drivers. If anything, they'll buy donuts and coffee for them and it is very much appreciated when it happens. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards