Wedding Reception Forum

Getting married on our 10 year anniversary

2»

Re: Getting married on our 10 year anniversary

• If you don't have a suggestion for this poster than don't waste people's time with your non-answer. I don't answer posts that have to do with what type of wine or beer to serve because I don't like wine or beer. It serves no one for me to post railing about how much I hate wine and beer because my feelings on wine and beer are irrelevant to the question. Other people do like wine and beer. Good for them. Wanting to share the significance of the wedding date chosen with one's guests is not a big deal and doesn't deserve the scorn and derision it has received from the posters here and it's threads like this that just highlight what a nasty, narrow-minded place this is.
    Why are you even here if you hate it so much? 

You only pop up to remind us of how catty/bitchy we are, knowing full well what the response to that will be, so why even stick around? 

Are you seriously that thirsty for attention?
    I'm here because the brides who post deserve another perspective instead of pages of the TK's party line, which is negative about pretty much everything. And I post on many topics without complaining about the tone here but since most of you have decided to ignore my comments you just don't notice. That's not my problem. I have a right to post here whatever I please, just like the rest of you. You can continue to ignore me if you don't like it, but I have a perspective which could benefit people who post here and I'll continue to contribute it when and how I see fit.

God, if it were only that you saw fit to offer another perspective. But that's not what you do. The posts you make about neutral stuff, you leave off the whining. Sure.

But when you disagree with the perspective offered by the majority of posters, you have to add onto it a lecture about how terribly mean and nasty everyone else is. That makes you zero percent better than what you're claiming about us when we respond to a shitty idea, whether it's yours or the OP's.

• edited June 2015
  • We are getting married on our 10 year anniversary of dating. I am looking for ideas on how to display and celebrate that at our wedding. Any ideas??
    This thread perfectly epitomizes the unnecessary cattiness of this place. Only one poster even bothered to answer your question and instead everyone feels a need to soliloquize on their opinions of people who might actually know and care about their dating anniversary, all with noses pointed firmly in the air with sticks wedged far up their asses even though it doesn't affect their lives or even the lives of your guests in the slightest. Pathetic.

My FI and I and I are getting married on our 6th anniversary. We did indeed choose that date for that reason, and we have wished each other a "Happy 7th" every month since we started dating. I'm a historian by profession and dates have always been significant to me so I understand wanting to choose a date that is already significant to you. We have highlighted this fact on our wedding website and it's mentioned in our programs. I also considered one of those signs that you see on Pinterest but don't have the room in our budget for it at this point but I still think they're really cute. Perhaps you could incorporate a similar concept into whatever you're using for your guestbook. Also, this wouldn't visible to your guests of course, but you could see about getting your wedding rings engraved so that one of you has your first anniversary date engraved and the other the wedding date.
    I'm shocked, just shocked.  You, who want to AW in the exact same way as OP, are upset that people don't think it's a good idea for OP to AW about her dating anniversary?  Shocked, I tell you.

• We are getting married on our 10 year anniversary of dating. I am looking for ideas on how to display and celebrate that at our wedding. Any ideas??
    This thread perfectly epitomizes the unnecessary cattiness of this place. Only one poster even bothered to answer your question and instead everyone feels a need to soliloquize on their opinions of people who might actually know and care about their dating anniversary, all with noses pointed firmly in the air with sticks wedged far up their asses even though it doesn't affect their lives or even the lives of your guests in the slightest. Pathetic.

My FI and I and I are getting married on our 6th anniversary. We did indeed choose that date for that reason, and we have wished each other a "Happy 7th" every month since we started dating. I'm a historian by profession and dates have always been significant to me so I understand wanting to choose a date that is already significant to you. We have highlighted this fact on our wedding website and it's mentioned in our programs. I also considered one of those signs that you see on Pinterest but don't have the room in our budget for it at this point but I still think they're really cute. Perhaps you could incorporate a similar concept into whatever you're using for your guestbook. Also, this wouldn't visible to your guests of course, but you could see about getting your wedding rings engraved so that one of you has your first anniversary date engraved and the other the wedding date.

It's not cattiness to say "No one will care about this in our experience, so save yourself the trouble." She could decide to post it on a sign next to each of the table numbers - "6/7/15 - 10 years of dating, 1 day of marriage" but it's not bad advice or mean to say that guests will not really notice or might roll their eyes. We're just trying to tell OP to save herself the work.

It's great if the date means something to her. Several people said something to that effect. Let them celebrate that privately each year however they wish. But we also said that the wedding guests are here for the wedding, and the date will mean very little to them, and a sign about the dating anniversary will not make it mean more to them.

If there were an idea which would make displaying the date worthwhile or would make it more meaningful to the guests, I would have offered it. But there isn't.

ETA I'm actually proud of how calmly I responded given the pointless nature of the bolded portion. Yes, we're the catty ones making unnecessary and insulting statements.

Yeah, and your guests don't give a damn about whether you use peonies vs. roses or what type of glue you should use to make your DIY invitations or where you find vases in bulk, but there are threads on these topics every single day and if the response to everyone of those queries was, your guests don't care about your vases, or I hate flowers, or matting invitations is stupid because who cares what they look like as long as they have all the info and ugh who cares about the look of their invitations anyway, it's just paper, then there would be absolutely NO POINT to this site. 

If you don't have a suggestion for this poster than don't waste people's time with your non-answer. I don't answer posts that have to do with what type of wine or beer to serve because I don't like wine or beer. It serves no one for me to post railing about how much I hate wine and beer because my feelings on wine and beer are irrelevant to the question. Other people do like wine and beer. Good for them. Wanting to share the significance of the wedding date chosen with one's guests is not a big deal and doesn't deserve the scorn and derision it has received from the posters here and it's threads like this that just highlight what a nasty, narrow-minded place this is.

The difference between your example and this is that OP and FI will still know that it's their dating anniversary even if they don't DIY a proclamation of it, whereas you don't get to enjoy peonies unless you actually order peonies.

We're not saying she can't proclaim it. But "save yourself the work" is a valid suggestion, and deserves as much consideration as "try putting it in a slideshow of photos about the 10 years of your relationship."

There was no scorn and derision - you are reading that into posts, and are the only person actually writing nasty things.

ETA on the wine and beer example - Your post on that subject might actually be a useful data point if the OP had never considered that a person might like neither and they should consider offering something else alcoholic to drink, even though they don't have to follow through. If someone said "I'm planning to serve only ginger ale and water at the wedding," that's not technically bad hosting, but a lot of responses letting OP know that not much ginger ale would be consumed might incline them to try something more effective.

I would drink the shit out of some ginger ale, but only if it is Canada Dry and not diet.

• I do not think saying "stop driving yourself crazy trying to figure out how to incorporate something because no one is really going to notice anyway" is being mean.

It's saying "hey, there is a lot of stuff to worry about, this is something you can take of your very full plate.  More than likely most of your guests already know you have been together for 10 years."    

Some brides do over-think things.   Then they spend so much time racking their brains on how to make something works.    There is nothing wrong with someone saying this is not worth the time you are trying to put into this as it will be barely noticed.      

Ironically a lot of times (not saying this is the case of the OP) a couple will spend so much time on something that doesn't really matter, but yet spends little time on figuring out how to host their guests properly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

• If you don't have a suggestion for this poster than don't waste people's time with your non-answer. I don't answer posts that have to do with what type of wine or beer to serve because I don't like wine or beer. It serves no one for me to post railing about how much I hate wine and beer because my feelings on wine and beer are irrelevant to the question. Other people do like wine and beer. Good for them. Wanting to share the significance of the wedding date chosen with one's guests is not a big deal and doesn't deserve the scorn and derision it has received from the posters here and it's threads like this that just highlight what a nasty, narrow-minded place this is.

You only pop up to remind us of how catty/bitchy we are, knowing full well what the response to that will be, so why even stick around? 

I'm here because the brides who post deserve another perspective instead of pages of the TK's party line, which is negative about pretty much everything. And I post on many topics without complaining about the tone here but since most of you have decided to ignore my comments you just don't notice. That's not my problem. I have a right to post here whatever I please, just like the rest of you. You can continue to ignore me if you don't like it, but I have a perspective which could benefit people who post here and I'll continue to contribute it when and how I see fit.
    If so many random people who don't know each other all have pretty much the same opinion on something. . . yes, must be nothing more than a "party line".

This reminds me of that time my ex broke up with me and then got pissed all of his female friends basically stopped talking to him and decided I must have manipulated them into siding with me.

Dude, if all of these intelligent strong-minded, opinionated independent women all think you're an asshole, maybe it's because you're actually an asshole. But, nope, I somehow conned all of them with my web of lies. Yup, that must be it.

So, basically, if all of these intelligent strong-minded opinionated independent women on the internet think an idea is bad....maybe it's because the idea is bad. Just a thought.

• redoryx said:

If you don't have a suggestion for this poster than don't waste people's time with your non-answer. I don't answer posts that have to do with what type of wine or beer to serve because I don't like wine or beer. It serves no one for me to post railing about how much I hate wine and beer because my feelings on wine and beer are irrelevant to the question. Other people do like wine and beer. Good for them. Wanting to share the significance of the wedding date chosen with one's guests is not a big deal and doesn't deserve the scorn and derision it has received from the posters here and it's threads like this that just highlight what a nasty, narrow-minded place this is.

If so many random people who don't know each other all have pretty much the same opinion on something. . . yes, must be nothing more than a "party line".

This reminds me of that time my ex broke up with me and then got pissed all of his female friends basically stopped talking to him and decided I must have manipulated them into siding with me.

Dude, if all of these intelligent strong-minded, opinionated independent women all think you're an asshole, maybe it's because you're actually an asshole. But, nope, I somehow conned all of them with my web of lies. Yup, that must be it.

So, basically, if all of these intelligent strong-minded opinionated independent women on the internet think an idea is bad....maybe it's because the idea is bad. Just a thought.

This seems reasonable, but alas is incorrect. I went through the ritual brainwashing/web of lies training in order to be one of PGL's minions. Did you not do this?

Looks like we've got an intelligent, strong-minded opinionated independent woman here, guys... who also happens to agree already with the party line!

• edited February 2015
    redoryx said:

This seems reasonable, but alas is incorrect. I went through the ritual brainwashing/web of lies training in order to be one of PGL's minions. Did you not do this?

Looks like we've got an intelligent, strong-minded opinionated independent woman here, guys... who also happens to agree already with the party line!

Tisk, Tisk, @redoryx Thou shall not think for thyself.

It's more of a tiered program. . . like Scientology or Mary Kay.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• redoryx said:

Do I get a pink car after so many years of service? If so, I'm in.
  • redoryx said:
    redoryx said:

Do I get a pink car after so many years of service? If so, I'm in.
    And a matching glitter fez and vest.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• HEY. THAT IS MY FEZ AND VEST, WITCH (look, no b-words!).
    Ashley, would you drop it already? You've made your point several times now. You're starting to sound like one of the snowflakes. :P
    The set that comes with the car is pink. . . yours is different.

Ashley, would you drop it already? You've made your point several times now. You're starting to sound like one of the snowflakes. :P

Newp.
  • redoryx said:

Yessss. I work for a husband and wife. The wife has been having an affair for the last year. The employees hate her (cuz she's terrible to all of us and we care about her husband) and her children won't speak to her (due to cheating on their dad). She insists that we've all been manipulated by her husband.

Fuck you Sue, you're just an over the hill nasty whore.

Anniversary

• We're also getting married on our ten year anniversary of dating! We're not making a huge deal of it though, because like people said above, most of our guests know we've been together forever.

However, I'm getting married close to Pittsburgh and it's a tradition that we do something called the "cookie table". (It's just that...a table with a crap ton of cookies on it baked by your family) We're going to put little pictures of us through the years as decoration. Next to the other decorations on the guestbook table there will be a small sign that says "Today I have loved you for 3,652 days." Nothing too cheese-tastic, but it's something we are really proud of so we wanted to showcase it in a not IN YOUR FACE way. Just little touches like that make it special for you guys, without shoving it in your guests' faces.
  • Woah.... thanks for the advice....

Just an FYI, I think its cool that we have been dating for 10 years, not many people can say that. We will both be 24 when we get married, graduated of college, and ready to move on in life. It's not an "ITS ABOUT TIME" wedding, we have done the responsible thing of graduating and doing things for ourselves before the wedding.

Not sure how this got into a huge fight, I was just looking to see if anyone could come up with a cute little way to display it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards