Chit Chat

"Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

Re: "Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

• KatWAG said:
    I am dying to know how the boyfriend responded to sbmini's text. Something tells me, he didint accept her advice with open arms.
    "Aw shit, I totes thought this was how I was SUPPOSED to propose! My bad! Calling the skywriter now, thanks for the tip, sis!"

Probably not. 

• Personally I think it's annoying when anyone even asks for "the proposal story."  I don't have one that I care to share, really, and it's none of anyone's business.  It seems like 90% of the time it ends up like OP - judgey.  Even though it seems like IRL these over the top proposals are not the norm!

Now OP has put sister in the position of defending BF.  I *hate* when I'm just telling a story, that I likely think is funny, and someone gets all judgmental about it.  HAAAAAAATE!!! 

I would be absolutely mortified and potentially filled with rage if that person went back to my SO and told them what to do to "improve personal quality"!!!!  And if someone came at ME with something I should have done differently? WATCH OUT.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Well shoot. FI didn't even ask me. He wrote the question on the last page of a book he made for me and then sat there waiting for me to get to that part and give him an answer. This must mean that I am not really engaged after all....better call our vendors and cancel. 

But for real. This is absolutely none of your gosh darn business. It is between your sister and her BF. If she has a problem with the way he has asked her, that is her prerogative and she is the only one who has a right to tell him that.

Seriously, have there ever been times that you've blown off steam or vented to your sister, your mom, or your friends about something your H has done (no matter how minor or silly)? Would you be thrilled if they took it upon themselves to inform your H that you were upset??

Be an ear for your sister to vent to. Do not take matters into your own hands. Be happy for her with whatever kind of proposal she may accept in the future. Projecting our expectations on others is a miserable existence. 

Also, I'd be mega-pissed at my sister if she ever did this and probably decide that if she is going to judge my proposal, I certainly wouldn't want her to be present and judge-y on my wedding day. 
  • My original proposal occurred like this: We were at my cousin's lake house. We were in a twin bed, cuddled up together because twin beds pretty much force cuddling, and I didn't want to be alone in the bed, even though there was another twin bed less than three feet away. I had just watched my house burn. I was in shock. We both smelled like smoke. It was three in the morning and I couldn't close my eyes, even with the tipsiness. He was talking to try and help me sleep, and he was telling me about the two hour drive he had. And he said, "I realized on my drive up that I love you more than I ever thought I could, and I didn't realize it before because I never expected to feel this way about anyone ever again. I want to marry you, if you'll have me." 

The legitimacy - or lack thereof - of a proposal not involving you is not for you to decide. And messaging him on how best to do it is so far out of line, you couldn't see the line with a telescope.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • beethery said:
    KatWAG said:
    I am dying to know how the boyfriend responded to sbmini's text. Something tells me, he didint accept her advice with open arms.
    Can you fucking imagine getting a message like that?

Think about how you'd respond to something like that. Seriously, my day is dumb and I require the lols.
    I do not fucking care because the thing was not illegal or harmful.

Actually I'd probably tell you to go do a thing to yourself using a cactus. 
  • Don't worry, y'all; I heard that if the proposal isn't legitimate, the female body has a way of shutting that whole thing down.
    Also, your vagina will close right up like a trap. 
  • Don't worry, y'all; I heard that if the proposal isn't legitimate, the female body has a way of shutting that whole thing down.
    I yelled HA outloud at work
    Don't worry, y'all; I heard that if the proposal isn't legitimate, the female body has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

• My partner asked me while we were laying in bed, just woke up, and had three dogs laying in bed with us.  It went something like "So, what do you think?  Should we get married?".   I said "ok".   I guess it wasn't an honest or legit proposal.    

And holy fucking hell. I cannot believe you messaged her boyfriend.  That is completely out of line and total high school behavior.  
  • I understand your point and understand that you just want the best for your sister, however, from my point of view, I would leave it alone.  I have a close relationship with my sister, but if she said something negative about my husband, I would remember it.  Every relationship is unique and no matter how well you know your sister, there are some aspects of her relationship you'll never be privy to.  I try to give my sister support when she needs it, but basically in the form of listening, and never bashing her husband.

FWIW, my dad's proposal plan failed (long story).  As he was driving my mom home, she could tell that he was upset.  Here's how their convo went down:
    Her:  "What's wrong?"
    Him:  "Nothing."
    Him:  "Will you marry me?."
    Her:  "You're drunk."
    I'm missing this reference. . .

My original proposal occurred like this: We were at my cousin's lake house. We were in a twin bed, cuddled up together because twin beds pretty much force cuddling, and I didn't want to be alone in the bed, even though there was another twin bed less than three feet away. I had just watched my house burn. I was in shock. We both smelled like smoke. It was three in the morning and I couldn't close my eyes, even with the tipsiness. He was talking to try and help me sleep, and he was telling me about the two hour drive he had. And he said, "I realized on my drive up that I love you more than I ever thought I could, and I didn't realize it before because I never expected to feel this way about anyone ever again. I want to marry you, if you'll have me." 

The legitimacy - or lack thereof - of a proposal not involving you is not for you to decide. And messaging him on how best to do it is so far out of line, you couldn't see the line with a telescope.
    Wait, what?!  Are you serious?  That is horrible!  I'm so sosrry!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I wish DH asked me to go to elope in Vegas. Instead, I ruined his proposal plan by having to pee immediately after getting home from work and shoving him out of my way. And then not giving him an answer for a while when he did ask.

Wait... do I get a do-over?!
    I WANTED to elope in Vegas because 1. Elvis and 2.Receptions are fucking expensive.  And DH got down on one knee and my cat had my ring and everything.

DH wanted the damn expensive party.  So we didn't go to Vegas ><  I'm going to make him go with me to Vegas for an anniversary sometime, because Elvis!
    The first time DH and I went to Vegas together (way back when we'd only been dating 2 or 3 years), his mother made us promise not to "run off and get married at one of those wedding chapels". Way to ruin my wedding vision!!

We're planning to go to Vegas again at some point in the near future. Because... Vegas, baby, Vegas!
    ~*~*~*~*~

I'm missing this reference. . .

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/rep-todd-akin-says-women-can-shut-down-post-rape#.xypJZV4LL5
  • pinkcow13 said:
    Wow.... just wow. Okay first of all, I know this is your sister and all, but are you the Engagement Police? Nobody, not even YOU know their relationship, like they do. And, are you sure this was even a proposal? It may have just been him throwing out some ideas, but you know what? If it was a proposal or not - It's none of your business!!

And you were totally out of line to message him. You probably made him feel real bad, or even better, pissed him the hell off with your meddling. I'm sorry, but you're being really picky and judgmental over something that you should not have any say over. 

The fact that you actually messaged him makes you kinda look like this

image.
    I want to respond with a Guardians of the Galaxy Dick message GIF. . . but I'm at work and I don't think Googling that is a wise idea.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• SBmini said:
    Yes, you're being ridiculous. 

Is your sister happy? That's all that should matter. Even if she isn't, it's her life and you should butt out. 
    She said no. As in, no, let's not go to Vegas this weekend and get married. 

This is between your sister and her boyfriend. If she didn't like his proposal, it's up to her to explain to him why this won't work. If she can't talk to him, herself, then she shouldn't marry him. She's an adult, right? You shouldn't have meddled in their business.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards