Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Transportation from venue to dinner

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are getting married in San Francisco at City Hall, and the restaurant where we are having dinner at afterwards is about a mile away. What options do you think would work for transportation? We are having a relatively small wedding- I'm thinking no more than 50 people, a combination of family and friends. 

Kim

Re: Transportation from venue to dinner

• Options
    Rent a bus or shuttle. 
  • Options
    Driving in San  Francisco sucks. If you want to save your guests that frustration, rent a shuttle bus. If you're having less than 50 people (including you and your FI), you may be able to find a shuttle bus that will hold that many and only have to make one trip. Otherwise you could probably rent two 30-person shuttles.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If you want SF-specific recommendations, I recommend posting to your local board. This is an international board so you'll get broader recommendations.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Your family and friends can figure out how to get from one place to the next, especially if they already live there and this isn't a destination affair.  Then they're not stuck with the schedule of when shuttle comes and goes.  If you get them shuttle from where their cars are, you'll have to have shuttle take them back later.  And it's a short distance.  If you're shuttling them from city hall to a restaurant, that means they still have to pay to park at the city hall.

A kinder touch than the shuttle would be to pay for the parking at the restaurant and city hall.  If there is a garage or lot adjacent to either, you can contact them re: vouchers.  And this could still be less expensive than a shuttle bus before and after dinner.

For you all, how about an Uber Black?  No minimum hours or tacky limo.  A sleek town car, Cadillac, or other luxury car will be there in a few minutes!  And later, can take you home when you're ready.

Also, if you don't purchase parking, if you email Uber, they'll give you a $20-off code to pass out to new users for your event.  You could add this to your FB or website.  I did this for my Christmas party.  Sent out the $20 off link in case anyone felt unable to drive home, they could take an Uber car.
  • Options
    Most guests are from out of town. 
  • Options

will most people be staying at the same hotel?  is there a way to shuttle from that or will most people be parking at either the ceremony or reception site?  As someone not familiar with the area I might appreciate having a shuttle but in that case I would rather park at the reception restaurant and have a shuttle over to the ceremony and back to the reception.  If you do transportation from the reception venue it might require more trips, or annoyed guests who are ready to leave but can't because the shuttle hasn't come back.  The ceremony is a bit more finite of a time and could deal with transportation easier

to be honest a shuttle just to go a mile seems a bit silly to me, but if it is confusing to get from one to the other or parking is crazy at both, etc then it might be nice to offer something

• Options
    Just have everyone jump on Muni! Just kidding, but is your dinner venue on a cable car line? Because I am pretty sure you can rent cable cars, and also shuttles that look like cable cars but are on normal tires, which could be a really cool experience for the out-of-towners.

Otherwise, if you blocked out rooms at a hotel, check to see if they have a shuttle service. Some hotels will offer this for free if you block out/book a certain number of rooms.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I agree Uber
  • Options
    Post this to your local boards!!!  You'll get great tips/advice/vendor rec's from the locals!!!
  • Options

Just have everyone jump on Muni! Just kidding, but is your dinner venue on a cable car line? Because I am pretty sure you can rent cable cars, and also shuttles that look like cable cars but are on normal tires, which could be a really cool experience for the out-of-towners.

While I didn't get married in SF, this is what we did for our wedding. I just contacted the local trolly/bus line and asked to have a trolley at a certain time at a certain location. We did have to have our DOC call the bus company about 10 minutes prior to when we wanted the bus to basically tell them "ok we are ready. Come now.", but that was minor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards