Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Baby and Bridal Showers at Work

edited February 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
One of my work friends is due to have a baby in about 3 weeks.  She's going on leave next Friday and a few people are throwing her a shower.   This is her first baby and she had a pretty big shower outside of work that I attended.   I bought her a gift from her registry for about $25, because I knew that work was also planning to throw her a shower.  Today someone suggested we go in on a big gift card for her instead of regular gifts.  I said sure and they're collecting money this week and next.   How much money toward the GC would be appropriate to give in this situation?   I know you should give whatever you can afford; but money matters aside, what's an appropriate amount for a work shower?  

Re: Baby and Bridal Showers at Work

• Options

As you said there's no specific amount.  For a large group work thing like that last year I threw in $20 for the mom and others did similar.  I'm sure others spent a lot more but no one made a comment one way or the other on what I gave and I'm pretty sure others gave around that.  Especially since you already attended her outside shower I wouldn't worry too much about giving "too little" so $10-20 is fine in my opinion.

• Options
    I have to agree that for a work shower, around $20 is a nice contribution. 
    If that's too much for some people, no one side eyes.

• Options
    Most people give about $20 when we do collections like that at work. We never give anyone a hard time if they give less, either.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    usually for stuff like this at work I say $10 and if anyone wants to give more they're more than welcome. around Christmas time we were all going in on a gift card for my boss and I suggested everyone pitch in $5 to $10. someone else suggested that was too little and asked everyone for $20. it doesn't sound like a lot but at that point H and I were pinching every penny we had so it really irked me that my coworker said that and made me feel cheap. so yeah my vote is $10 for work stuff just from experience. you just never know somone else's financial situation.
  • Options
    $10-20 is fine.
  • Options
    When I have contributed to similar group gifts, I toss in $10 to $20 depending on my financial situation at the time.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    At my job, we do "what you can afford" because everyone has a different financial situation and we don't want to require a set amount an cause hardship for anyone or feel that they can't contribute at all. Some people give $10-20, others give $5. In the end, when it's all put together it equals out to a nice gift and the receipent is grateful for whatever the total amount is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards