North Carolina-Outer Banks

The Black Stallion House

Hi all,

So I'm in planning phase and I am hugely interested in getting married at The Black Stallion house in Currituck. It's perfect since we want a small wedding and we both love the OBX area. The issue I'm having is finding out how to cater. Every time i type in the zip code for the house the knot keeps giving me vendors that once i contact for estimates are 4-5 hours away and therefore won't travel that far. Does anyone have any recommendations of caterers in that area?

Secondly, how did anyone who has gotten married at any event house in OBX handle the food for the guests each night there.......everyone takes turns cooking? hire a chef? A little bit of both? Any information would be very helpful.

Lastly, did anyone pay for the house completely or charge guests per room or per person to stay the week or the amount of nights they could stay? Let me know what you've done.

I need as much advice as i can get from people who have done this before since I am not from the area and am from NJ. Thank you in advance to anyone who offers help.

~Laureen 

Re: The Black Stallion House

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    There are tons of caterers throughout the island, some within minutes. Don't use TK for planning purposes, just more of a general guide. TK has it's glitches from time to time and info isn't as accurate as it should be sometimes. I will say TK's checklist was pretty helpful to keep things on track. You want to look up The Outer Banks a Wedding Assoc. as it has a complete list of caterers, photographers, flowers, venues, etc. Most guests will divide into groups and take turns planning dinners for the week. I do recommend having a low-country boil or NC BBQ for a poolside party let's say? That would be fun! Hiring a chef is great, but can be pricey. I'd look around to see what rates you could get. With such a large amount of people, I think most of us split it up amongst who was staying and for how long etc. I know that's what my parents and some of the bridal party did and my husbands family did the same. We all planned menus ahead of time and each party was responsible for their dinner night or even breakfasts too. We're a quiet board, but we're here. Let us know if you need anything. Hope this formats correctly btw.

• Do you see actual paragraphs on your end or is it all one big sentence? It's showing paragraphs here as I am typing but not when it posts. Grrrr......

• Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

I'm totally seeing all one big sentence after it posts but thats ok. 
  • Hi Laureen,

We're actually getting married in the OBX this coming May and we're staying at The Black Stallion. Have you been to visit it? It's amazing! The pictures don't do it any justice! Any who, there are a ton of caterers and vendors on the island. A lot of them are a little further south in Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head. It's definitely worth your while to check out the Outer Banks Wedding Association website, http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/. They host a huge wedding expo once a year (it's awesome, overwhelming, but awesome), where all the vendors are at your fingertips. If you have any questions or need suggestions, I would be more than happy to help! 

Happy planning!
    Steph
  • Can anyone tell me if there are any other small wedding expos or anything this year in OBX. I know the large one was in January but no decisions were even close to being considered or made at that time.

Side note: we booked the house though so we are 1 step closer! 
  • Yes- the Sanderling hosts a wedding show in March.
    http://www.sanderling-resort.com/weddings/wedding-show

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards