Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Religion & Alcohol...#2

My fiance and I come from two majorly different backgrounds. His family is highly religious and my family is rooted in some Christian beleifs they are much more down to earth and understanding. The issue of alcohol at the reception has come about. My family members are drinkers. I drink occasionally and I have always planned on having a buzz at my wedding. However his family has a huge problem with us having an open bar at our wedding. Its already difficult enough that our families are so diffferent, but I don't want to have the angels on one side and the devils on the other because that would make his family despise me even more. Can someone please provide some insight?

***the costs are actually being split down the middle, or at least we are trying to split them down the middle...

Please don't think that I have something against extreme religion or Christianity. I'm not saying that religious people can't be down to earth, but his family is NOT. They are very much against alcohol, partying of any kind as well as things like tattoos, smoking, things of that nature. The look down on a lot of things and a lot of people. I'm not condoning some of these things, but his family has refused to help out with some of the costs if things aren't done their way and thats not fair. So we're forced to have to put the entire reception on my family, his fam doesn't like my dress so my dad is having to pay for that, they want us to get married in a church, and I want to be married outside...its just things like that which are causing so much friction already! So please, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Re: Religion & Alcohol...#2

• I just wanted more opinions and thanks. I'm sure theknot.com would not take offense to the new post.
  • Thank you so much! It seems like you have lots of experience with message boards. I've never really had the time, I just wanted to have some fun and hear other people's thoughts. People like you take things like this too seriously and suck the fun part out of it. If you don't like what I'm doing kindly navigate yourself to someone else's post b/c I will post this as many times as I feel it necessary. Its a free internet! Furthermore, it seems like you have something snide to say on everyone's posts.This is not a hobby for me, which it seems to be for you, therefore I don't need a lesson in message boards. If YOU are annoyed, so be it, click on to the next thing. That is not my problem. Thank you, and have a nice day.
  • pay for your own everything and then you don't have to worry about what they want. problem solved. 
  • The majority of people dont intentionally go out of their way to be offensive;; however, if a person begins their statement with "I dont mean to offend" or "I hope this isnt offensive", or "I dont intend to be mean". . .subconciously there is some realization that  the forthcoming statement  could be taken offensively.  Perhaps it just shouldnt be said.
  • DomoniqueABN - unfortunately he who pays, says.  While it is your big day - if its their money, then its their choice.  I see you said that the families were trying to split the cost- but if one family is against the type of event being held they don't have to contribute, however it doesnt have to fall all on your family, what about you and FI? are you able to contribute?  It sounds like you have a couple options:

1) have a dry wedding (or maybe a cash bar) and take FIL's money towards the celebration

2) have an open bar and have your family pay half, and you and FI pay the other half

3) have an open bar and your family foots the whole bill. 

Good luck and happy planning!!
    -Linds
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • trinalotrinalo member
    First Comment
    I agree with Linds. If your FI's family has a problem with alcohol, they don't have to pay for it. Since the cost is being split, your family can pay for the bar and his family can pretend it's not there and drink whatever non-alcoholic beverages are provided.

We ended up in a similar situation, except the people with the alcohol issues are extended family of FI's who are merely guests. And FI and I are paying for it. So his mom basically told said guests (all members of her side of the family) to get over it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_religion-alcohol2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:df7403ab-2163-4911-a2b4-913afc810e9aPost:9dfd7554-4414-44f6-9bea-f555607ab1ac">Religion & Alcohol...#2</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I come from two majorly different backgrounds. His family is highly religious and my family is rooted in some Christian beleifs they are much more down to earth and understanding. The issue of alcohol at the reception has come about. My family members are drinkers. I drink occasionally and I have always planned on having a buzz at my wedding. However his family has a huge problem with us having an open bar at our wedding. Its already difficult enough that our families are so diffferent, but I don't want to have the angels on one side and the devils on the other because that would make his family despise me even more. Can someone please provide some insight? ***the costs are actually being split down the middle, or at least we are trying to split them down the middle... Please don't think that I have something against extreme religion or Christianity. I'm not saying that religious people can't be down to earth, but his family is NOT. They are very much against alcohol, partying of any kind as well as things like tattoos, smoking, things of that nature. The look down on a lot of things and a lot of people. I'm not condoning some of these things, but his family has refused to help out with some of the costs if things aren't done their way and thats not fair. So we're forced to have to put the entire reception on my family, his fam doesn't like my dress so my dad is having to pay for that, they want us to get married in a church, and I want to be married outside...its just things like that which are causing so much friction already! So please, I did not mean to offend anyone.
    Posted by DomoniqueABN[/QUOTE]

Well, the thing to remember is that whoever is paying DOES have a say in the wedding.  That's just the way it goes.  So I disagree with you saying it's not fair that they want to contribute money and do things their way.  That's how it works.  If you want total control over your wedding, then you need to pay for it yourselves and not take money from anyone.  Money from the parents is a gift, not a requirement or not something you're entitled to just because you're getting married.

So all that said, it sounds like you and your FI just have some decisions to make together.  Cut down the bar to make his family happy or go ahead and have the bar knowing that you might offend them.  You two need to make the decision together and be prepared to face the consequences either way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bottom line: the person who pays has the say.  Stage Manager was right in her first response to you.

Also, the fact that you have "always planned on having a buzz" at your wedding is disturbing.  
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_religion-alcohol2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:df7403ab-2163-4911-a2b4-913afc810e9aPost:b8ed474e-0898-4f8a-97eb-f03cc476a47d">Re: Religion & Alcohol...#2</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bottom line: the person who pays has the say.  Stage Manager was right in her first response to you. Also, the fact that you have "always planned on having a buzz" at your wedding is disturbing.  
    Posted by pandasquishy[/QUOTE]

I strongly agree with the second part of the above statement.  Who plans on being drunk at their wedding?  I'm sure that will go over well with your new in-laws.

Seriously you posted this twice because you didn't like what you read before.  There is no law that says your wedding has to be paid for by your parents.  Be an adult and pay for it yourself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DomoniqueABN , if you and your fiance want to have an open bar, have an open bar. If you feel you would be sad by people leaving because of an open bar, don't have one. It's up to you both to chose what is important.

(and I didn't mind the second post. I had the option to not click on number 2, but myself and everyone else that clicked on it were intrigued enough to do so.)

xo

• I agree with StageManager.  Multiple postings on the same topic, especially by the same poster, will get you more flames than advice.  And if you're going to get all butthurt over every little thing, you're not going to find TK very helpful.

All that aside, if they're contributing financially, you'll need to take their feelings into consideration and at least offer some sort of compromise.  However if they insist that if the wedding isn't dry they'll leave, there's not much you can do aside from politely declining their offer of financial assistance and saying that you're very sorry they won't be able to celebrate with you....unless you're willing to have a dry reception, that is.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Lol I read all the responses from both posts, I was interesting to see the difference.  Psichick-  I hear what you're saying, but have a problem with people, not the religion.  Because people I know who wait till they're married to have sex, don't drink etc. Often don't make demands on other people and aren't so judgmental.

Domonique- Alcohol can be really expensive, but if you and your family are willing to foot the bill then I say do it.  Unless your family is the type to be passed out, throwing up and flashing everyone there is no problem.  If they wanna walk, they can walk.  I'm sure they'll at least stay for the dinner part.

PS I plan to have a buzz too! No worries I understood what you meant.
  • i have a problem with both the people and the religion. i am not a fan of organized religion for many many reasons..........
  • I'm so not understanding why my two posts are bothering several of you. Its really not that deep. Its not as if I posted it 50 times. I was just looking for more thoughts. There is nothing wrong with that. I mean honestly, cool it! As I said before, if you don't like it simply move on. Its not about feelings being stepped on or being "butthurt" lol, I just wanted to post it twice to see what other thoughts I might get. Jeez! This is not a school or a job, so stop taking it so seriously. It is just a message board.

Furthermore, there will be alocohol at my reception, it will be a celebration to our liking with or without them or their funding. My job is not to please everyone. Period.

Thanks Ladies.
  • so if you had already made up your mind why the need for TWO threads in the same section about a question that you apparently didn't need to ask? 
  • Actually after reading these comments is when I decided that I need to make the choice on my own, and thats what I did. This was just my confirmation that I can't be worried so much about what other people think. I welcomed other people's thoughts, just to see what others brides to be think just for *fun*. Furthermore, I wouldn't make a choice simply based off of a message board of people i don't even know. I've just drawn the conclusion that I mentioned above within the last 24 hours. His family is imposing their views, so I will worry about my own views with my own funding and not everyone else's. Do you understand what I'm saying?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_religion-alcohol2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:df7403ab-2163-4911-a2b4-913afc810e9aPost:a458ceb6-4eb1-4308-bb3f-8f4993b19f24">Re: Religion & Alcohol...#2</a>:
    [QUOTE]so if you had already made up your mind why the need for TWO threads in the same section about a question that you apparently didn't need to ask? 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

I think the respones helped her and her fiance make the decision. If a question is asked, people respond, and a decision is reached, than it's all good. If there was no decision eventually made, then The Knot message boards would just become a plain-jane mesage board site which would be pointless chatter and no use except for entertainment value. (But with some people's post, I do get mildly entertained. Thanks!!) :)

Glad we could help you Hon and have fun at the reception!! :) :) :)
  • Jason&Jenn

Thank you and I will certainly have the time of my life!!!
  • Good for you Domonique for making your own decision about all of this! I understand where you're coming from b/c I'm a people pleaser too, but as you're discovering, you really can't please everyone about this wedding. What you could do to ensure that his side of the family isn't offended at the reception is seat his family at tables farthest from the bar and be sure to tell the catering staff not to offer Tables 1-6 (or whichever) champagne for the toast. Then at leaat you can say you took their feelings into consideration and didn't flaunt the alcohol in front of them. Sound fair? I'm certain that everything will turn out fab :) Good luck!!

• Great idea!
  • I'm in kind of a similar situation. We're doing a morning ceremony and a brunch directly following, so that kind of alleviates the issue a bit because not as much alcohol is required. Probably not much besides the champagne toast, although it will be available for anyone who wants it. But, my family is paying for all of it and FI's parents are accepting that.

The rehearsal dinner will be dry though, which is completely fine with me. His parents don't accept it, so I don't think it would be fair to make them pay for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_religion-alcohol2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:df7403ab-2163-4911-a2b4-913afc810e9aPost:b55bbe1d-f72d-478d-8c1e-d7b0691bd554">Re: Religion & Alcohol...#2</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks all for the responses, I truly appreciate all of the advice. We are all putting forth funds, its not just the broke bride and groom waiting on mommy and daddy's help. We have put the reception on my family's side, which leaves them with the bulk of expenses. My family doesn't mind, my parents have just made comments about how his family has  been soooo overbearing with the decision making, down to the church, and we're not even getting married in the church. Its not so much that we need their money, but before they knew we wanted an open bar, they were more than willing to help. They've said even if my family pays for the open bar, it would be disrespectful of us to drink in front of them, and even threatened to leave right after after the ceremony all based on liquor being served. Honestly, at the end of the day, I do care about my FIL's (my first knot.com acronym lol) feelings and views, b/c I don't want our lives to be miserable, but I can't please everyone. Please don't confuse a buzz with incoherent drunkeness. I would like to have a glass or two of champagne to celebrate. Just to give a background, we both have children from previos relationships and we live together. So we're already the heathens of the century as far as his family is concerned. Its just difficult sometimes, but nothing to difficult to work out somehow. Again thanks for all the responses. :) Happy wedding planning to all.
    Posted by DomoniqueABN[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Listen, if they find drinking and dancing to be sinful, that is their call.  You shoudln't sit around and judge them on it either.  And clearly, if it is sinful in their eyes then there is no reason they should have to be put in a situation that would make them uncomfortable or sinful.  It is their right to only come to the ceremony and you'll have to accept that.  If you want a happy medium, I strongly suggest having a punch only "hors d'oevres" hour and a dinner that is dry.  Then once the dancing starts, open up a full bar and let his family leave.  That way, they will feel comfortable staying for dinner and they can leave when the dancing starts.  People will get their alcohol so they'll dance and it'lll still be a fun party.  

</div>
  • We're having two receptions, too.  My mom's side of the family aren't drinkers, and none of his family are, so it would be pointless to server alcohol for just my dad's family.  Of course, our friends will want to drink, but I'd rather not expose our family's to that, ;).  So we're having an after party somewhere else for just our friends.  This way, we're not stepping on anyone's toes about the alcohol, and our "official" reception is MUCH cheaper.
  • gattomgattom member
    First Comment
    I am in the same boat you are with parents paying.  I am ver forunate that my parents are willing to pay, but my fiance's parents have 5 kids and will not be  paying for a cent.  It is tradionally the bride's parents who are to pay for the wedding reception and the grooms for the rehersal, but they're not even paying for that.  As a young bride, who is fully capable of paying, it has always been presented to me that the parents are to pay so for the person claimed dominque wasnt an adult because she isnt paying is foolish.  If her parents want to do that, that doesnt make her any less responsible.

Dominque, I am not sure how involed with God you and your fiance are, but i can tell you that if the question of religion and morals in coming up now, it will only get WORSE later.  I highly suggest that you both consider marrige counseling with a pastor and get involved in a local church.  I do not think it is absolutely necessary to get married in a chruch building because the church is the people in the building, not just the building.  If it is not sentimental to you to get married in a church, then dont fake your wedding day to make others happy, but like I said, get involved in a local church.  Doing so may bring you more apt to wanting your wedding in that church.....

good luck!
  • EXACTLY. . . WE all have beliefs and we should try our best to respect ALL beliefs if at all possible.

Its called respect. . .BOTH WAYs on BOTH SIDES />
  • Why did you dig up a year old thread?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards