Illinois-Chicago

Friday Weddings?

Okay, so in case I can't the venues on my list for the dates I'm considering, I've been thinking of the alternative of a Friday evening wedding. I know there a number of venues that give discounts for Fridays, so that could be a plus.

Has anyone out there ever had or been to a Friday wedding? What was the turn out like? Did people complain? My biggest concern is that with it being a workday and lord knows the Chicagoland traffic, that most people would think it's awful to try to work all day and then go home to get ready for a wedding. I also can't realistically expect people to take a half day off for my wedding.

Thoughts?

Re: Friday Weddings?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like you know all the issues with a friday wedding. The friday weddings I have been to, I have noticed more people skip the ceremony. Probably because they cant get there on time from work.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been to one Friday wedding. It started at 7pm with dinner immediately following.  That worked well, but if you have a ceremony much earlier than that, you have to expect declines.

It's a trade off- you save money with the venue and by having fewer guests. 

• leni21 said:
    Okay, so in case I can't the venues on my list for the dates I'm considering, I've been thinking of the alternative of a Friday evening wedding. I know there a number of venues that give discounts for Fridays, so that could be a plus.

Has anyone out there ever had or been to a Friday wedding? What was the turn out like? Did people complain? My biggest concern is that with it being a workday and lord knows the Chicagoland traffic, that most people would think it's awful to try to work all day and then go home to get ready for a wedding. I also can't realistically expect people to take a half day off for my wedding.

Thoughts?
    I have not yet been to one, but I am in one in September. I get the reasoning, but it means that I need to take off early from work Thursday (rehearsal) and then miss Friday from work entirely. I would prefer a Saturday for sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only been to 2 Friday weddings and they were both coworkers, so our boss gave us all the afternoon off to go to the ceremony. 

I, personally, didn't seriously consider a Friday because all of my family and most of my friends were coming from out of of town. I didn't want them to have to take a day off to come to my wedding. I also am having my wedding in the far suburbs so that none of my out of town guests have to deal with Chicago traffic.

If the majority of your guests are in town than I think a Friday wedding is okay, as PP said, just expect fewer people at the ceremony portion of the wedding. If most of your guests are from out of town, I would reconsider a Friday wedding- traffic on a Friday night in Chicago is a nightmare for those of us who live here, but for those who aren't used to it- it can lead to an all out panic attack. 
  • I love Friday weddings. Everything runs much quicker and you don't have the lag time in between with full day Saturdays - places are more available, vendors are more available, and everyone is excited to party and out on your dance floor. I say embrace it!
  • mrscinema said:
    I love Friday weddings. Everything runs much quicker and you don't have the lag time in between with full day Saturdays - places are more available, vendors are more available, and everyone is excited to party and out on your dance floor. I say embrace it!
    Or they are all completely exhausted from working all week and just ready to go home and rest. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with KatWAG.  I have attended couple Friday weddings.  I was completed exhausted from work and had to fight through the afternoon traffic.  I still enjoyed them (it's a happy occasion, who wouldn't), though wish I had more time getting ready and not feel rushed.  And like other posters have already said, you'll definitely have less people attending the ceremony.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards