Attire & Accessories Forum

Mismatched groomsmen? How bad will this look?

My wedding is going to be in Spain. All of the groomsmen are from Spain. They were explained more or less what a bridesmaid and groomsmen are but it is not a custom that Spanish people have. The girls and I just picked out bridesmaids dresses this past weekend.. so of course we started in more detail, the discussion of the colors of what guys are going to wear.
We have previously talked about this but I didn't realize until now that my hubby to be is very uncomfortable asking them to spend money renting a tux or renting/buying a suit. I guess he has mentioned it before and two of them, who are students, were not too fond of the idea. 
Part of the problem is, that it may be hard to find a rental place in the city that we will be marrying. Now I don't know what to do. All the girls are going to look cohesive and the guys aren't going to match. I know we can do the same color shirt and/or ties but will it look atrocious if the colors of the suits aren't matching? 
I do completely understand the concern about asking them to pay for this when it is not something that they are used to and the Spanish economy right now isn't the best. So another solution I thought of is for us to pay for their rentals or the suits, but my FI doesn't think it is that important for the extra expense.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. 

Re: Mismatched groomsmen? How bad will this look?

• Why not ask them all to wear black slacks and a white button down shirt.  Then you and your FI can purchase them matching ties.  This way they can wear whatever they already have or will only need to purchase pants and/or a shirt instead of an entire suit they may not wear again.

• Google 'mismatched groomsmen'

It actually looks pretty good in my opinion! If everyones wearing something that fits them, that they look good in, I don't think it matters if they match.
  • I agree that the fit needs to be right no matter what they wear. 
    It is going to be a night time event, semi-formal. I like that idea but do you think that not wearing a jacket will be formal enough? 
  • As long as their level of formality suits the event, you don't have to do the matching prom date thing. That would mean a tuxedo if it is semi-formal, but I'm not sure that's what you meant.
  • My FI was recently in a wedding where they all had to buy the same suit. Guess what? They looked mismatched because the same suit doesn't look the same on different body types. The pictures still looked nice and it didn't ruin the wedding one bit. My point is that you shouldn't stress so much about it. See if they already have something they can wear in their closets and slap on some matching ties that go with your color scheme. 
  • Ok, thanks so much everyone!
  • My FI was recently in a wedding where they all had to buy the same suit. Guess what? They looked mismatched because the same suit doesn't look the same on different body types. The pictures still looked nice and it didn't ruin the wedding one bit. My point is that you shouldn't stress so much about it. See if they already have something they can wear in their closets and slap on some matching ties that go with your color scheme. 

This is an excellent point! I think mismatched looks best!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• our groomsmen will be mismatched. Hell, I don't even think the best man will bother to get any suit at all (he's been a pain in the ass about it). I really love the mismatched look. I think it's way more natural and everyone is more comfortable, which shows on their faces. Plus, perfect matching looks very 90s in some cases. Non-matching is the cool new thing to do ;) 

See; 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards