DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Wedding Suite

Hello! Please bear with me as this is my first post...

I'm a graphic designer so of course I have to DIY everything! I've had so much fun with the wedding suite project so far. The theme is rustic, vintage with arrows as the main visual. I like the idea of "moving forward" and being "pointed in the right direction".

I think I have everything in a good place and hope to print in the next two weeks, but it never hurts to have another set of eyes. At the moment I'm struggling with the best way to present the map, so I've included 2 versions. One shows highlighted roads to venue & downtown, along with the hotel with room block, the other it's removed. Which is preferred?

I've included the rest of the suite for feedback as well.

Thanks!

Re: DIY Wedding Suite

• Are you getting married or having an after party from elopement? Because the latter is what it sounds like. A "celebration of their marriage" is not the same as getting married.

imageimage

• agree with @dolewhipper... On your invite you invite everyone to share in the celebration of your marriage, but then you say "celebration to follow" at the bottom. Sounds a little redundant to me.
  • How to word your wedding invitation (as found under the Invites & Paper board):

Together with their parents (families)
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company (or "honor of your presence" if you are getting married in a place of worship)
    as they are united in marriage
    (etc.)

imageimage

• Thanks for the feedback. I did review a lot of invite wording options during this process. It is a variation of "invite you to their celebration of marriage" which I found during my wording research. The entire marriage experience is about sharing and community and I didn't feel it was expressed in this option, so we modified it. Maybe "invite you to share in their celebration of marriage" is better wording?

Yes, I do agree "celebration to follow" is redundant. Easy fix.

Map feedback?
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    hollygon said:

Maybe "invite you to share in their celebration of marriage" is better wording?

But that's the same thing...

If you want something less traditional, you could think about "invite you to share in their marriage" or "invite you to witness their marriage". But you want to avoid wording that is celebrating your marriage (because you can "celebrate" your marriage for 50 years, so it doesn't really equate to the actual marriage ceremony at all).

Do you need to include a map? Or do you want to because you like the layout? I mean, in this day and age, most people have GPS on their phones and can easily plug in an address and get directions down to the minute. So providing them with general "take this freeway to that!" seems un-needed. But if you like the idea of providing it then that's ok.
  • I like the map card with the venue highlighted. As others have mentioned, directions cards are probably unnecessary, but I think it's a nice touch.

I agree with PPs re: the "share in their celebration of marriage" seems like you're already married. I think you're better off going with the traditional wording to avoid confusing guests. I would also use "Reception to follow" instead of "Celebration to follow"

The other thing that I would note is that the RSVP card is a little busy. I would pick either the song request or the advice to the newlyweds so people don't feel like they're filling out a survey. As a guest, I would feel like it's kind of a pain and some people may just skip filling it in altogether. You can always have people write out advice to the newlyweds in a guestbook at the wedding or something like that. You should also put a response deadline on this card.

Overall I really love these though. They're really cute and well-done!
  • We used "invite you to share in their joy as they are united in marriage". To me, that speaks strongly of the wedding ceremony itself, which is important. Wording which invites people to the "celebration" of your marriage sounds like a reception-only invite, or an invitation to an anniversary party. With all the strange manipulations some couples make of their weddings these days (PPDs and tiered receptions and the like - *shudder*) it's important to avoid this kind of wording.

I like the graphics and style, by the way. :)
  • I like that wording. Thanks for clearing up the wording for me. I now understand the difference. I don't always get the nuances, so thanks for the feedback!

Thank you for the kind words. :)
  • Thanks everyone for the helpful wording feedback and the kind words about the design.

As for the map, it may be unnecessary, but I do think it's a nice touch. Even though it's basic I hope it's useful for our older, out of town guests.

I didn't include a pic of the opposite side of the RSVP postcard, which has the date. I do think a majority of our guests will have fun with the mad lib. In the end it will fun to read whatever they fill out, as long as they send it back!

Thanks again and I'll try to post pics of the finals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards