Flowers

How to keep ceremony and reception flowers from wilting?

edited February 2015 in Flowers
Hi all,

So I have a dilemma my bridesmaids and I will be making the bouquets (4), boutonnieres (11), and center pieces (8+) for my upcoming wedding. We plan on ordering the flowers from a local "European bucket" shop and then arranging them the night before my wedding.
My issue is how do I keep them all from wilting? The bouquets and boutonnieres can all be kept in a cool dry location where they get spritzed and what not, but the reception flowers will need to be placed before our guests begin arriving for the ceremony. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, however we're getting married at 6pm on June 4, in Dallas, TX. So it's going to most likely be sunny and warm and I'm worried that the flowers sitting outside in the sun for at least two hours before the reception begins at 7 pm will give them enough time to wilt and just look awful!

Is there a way to combat that? Or would I just be better off going with live plants?

Thanks,

Re: How to keep ceremony and reception flowers from wilting?

• I forgot to mention there will also be flowers on our cake, which will also be outside in the heat..
    Please any suggestions would be much appreciated. 
  • Hi all,

So I have a dilemma my bridesmaids and I will be making the bouquets (4), boutonnieres (11), and center pieces (8+) for my upcoming wedding. We plan on ordering the flowers from a local "European bucket" shop and then arranging them the night before my wedding.
    My issue is how do I keep them all from wilting? The bouquets and boutonnieres can all be kept in a cool dry location where they get spritzed and what not, but the reception flowers will need to be placed before our guests begin arriving for the ceremony. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, however we're getting married at 5pm on June 4, in Dallas, TX. So it's going to most likely be sunny and warm and I'm worried that the flowers sitting outside in the sun for at least two hours before the reception begins at 7 pm will give them enough time to wilt and just look awful!

Is there a way to combat that? Or would I just be better off going with live plants?

Thanks,
    Unfortunately, they will probably wilt given the amount of time they will be out of water, and in the sun.  It will really depend on what kind of flowers you use.  I would go and talk to the florist where you are buying the loose flowers and see if they can recommend sturdier flowers.  Either way though, you'll have some wilting if they are in summer sun. 

We used Hydrangeas, daisies and button mums (which are both very sturdy).  In very comfortable bay area weather, which was about 70 degrees, and the flowers being arranged the morning of the wedding, we still had some wilting to the ones that were in direct sun.
  • I am a bit confused. Your reception is in Dallas in June and it is outside?

As a life long Texan (from Houston) this sounds slightly odd. I just did a quick google search and found that the average high for June 4 is 89 with the average low around 70. Even at night time temps can still be 80 and it being summer the sun is not going to set till late. I am not only worried about your flowers but your guests.

If I am misunderstanding your posts I am sorry, do the flowers just sit outside for another reason? I think more info would be helpful.
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks I'll look into what the florist suggest, and we may just have to do potted plants. :)

I'm really not sure what's confusing you. Yes the ceremony and reception are both outside on June 4 in Dallas, TX. The averages that I've found for weather in the area have all been around 83 which really is not bad. The last few years have been high 80's low 90's for the high on June 4th which yes is a bit warm, however with proper preparation (i.e. cold water, use of umbrellas, etc.) you can minimize the effects of the heat. 
    I worked as a life guard in both Texas and Oklahoma for the past seven years and through out each of the summers. The heat really is not bad if you're prepared for it and I sat outside for hours at a time with little to no shade. With a 6pm or later ceremony I really don't think it will be that bad. :)
  • Thanks I'll look into what the florist suggest, and we may just have to do potted plants. :)

I'm really not sure what's confusing you. Yes the ceremony and reception are both outside on June 4 in Dallas, TX. The averages that I've found for weather in the area have all been around 83 which really is not bad. The last few years have been high 80's low 90's for the high on June 4th which yes is a bit warm, however with proper preparation (i.e. cold water, use of umbrellas, etc.) you can minimize the effects of the heat. 
    I worked as a life guard in both Texas and Oklahoma for the past seven years and through out each of the summers. The heat really is not bad if you're prepared for it and I sat outside for hours at a time with little to no shade. With a 6pm or later ceremony I really don't think it will be that bad. :)

I completely agree you can minimize the effects of heat. Lots of water and shade is highly important. The fact that you have worked as a life guard and been outside in that heat is not really relevant to your guests. I say that because in your words, you were prepared for it and by that I mean, you have gotten used to it.That does not mean all of your guests, life long Texans or not, are used to spending that amount of time outside. Plus as a life guard I am betting you are in a swimsuit and light clothing, such as t-shirt and shorts not wedding attire. Add to that, dancing and moving around for several hours life is not very fun at 83 degrees outside.

Please do not mistake my comments for being rude. I am simply pointing out the logistics and how I would think about things if I got your invitation in the mail. If you look around on your wedding night and see people sweating through their clothes just know the party might wrap up early.
  • edited February 2015
    I would hope that people are bright enough to realize that June in Texas is warm and not to wear heavy or dark clothing. 
    As for being use to the summers I wasn't I moved to Texas from Colorado in the summer and worked that first summer in the heat. It's extremely dry here, and with the wind, cold drinks, fans, and shade I really don't think it will be bad especially if people dress appropriately. If they don't there's not much I can do to help them. 
    Aside from all that if you research historic weather trends the temperature between 5 and 6 pm on June 4th drops on average to between 75 and 80. 

I acknowledge your concern about my guests, but it's really a non-issue and would appreciate if you drop it. I understand an outdoor wedding in June may be something you wouldn't have for yourself, or would choose not to attend and that's your right. My guests have that choice too, however I have put a substantial amount of thought and effort into ensuring the comfort and safety of my guests. I wouldn't want any of them to become ill or be extremely uncomfortable. However again, there's only so much my fiancee and I can do, ultimately it falls on our guests to acknowledge the heat, plan accordingly and use the sunscreen, shade, water, etc. that we will be providing them. 
  • I am sorry to say but there really is nothing you can do besides maybe use daisies and carnations since they are so damn hardy, to keep your wedding flowers from wilting.  If what I read is true and your wedding will be outside with temps in the mid 80's (possibly almost 90) your flowers will suffer. So you may want to reconsider using flowers as your centerpieces.  Or consider going the submerged flower route in varying size vases.

And I am sorry to say I agree with PP about having a wedding outside in those temperatures.  What type of dress are you wearing?  Your guests will be in sundresses or cocktail dresses/slacks and a polo shirt, but if you go with a traditional gown think about how hot YOU will be in that sucker.  I mean I got married in July inside but took some pictures outside and holy hell was it hot under that skirt.  I get that you and your FI may want an all outdoor affair but have your really thought about that with the temps?  It isn't just about you and your FI, but do  you really want your guests to be sitting around fanning themselves all day and night?  And sorry but some cold water and an umbrella is not going to help all that much.  So unless you are renting a tent that can be air conditioned or renting some huge ass commercial size fans be prepared for your guests to be a bit uncomfortable.

Oh and do you have a plan B in case that it rains?

• I would hope that people are bright enough to realize that June in Texas is warm and not to wear heavy or dark clothing. 
    As for being use to the summers I wasn't I moved to Texas from Colorado in the summer and worked that first summer in the heat. It's extremely dry here, and with the wind, cold drinks, fans, and shade I really don't think it will be bad especially if people dress appropriately. If they don't there's not much I can do to help them. 
    Aside from all that if you research historic weather trends the temperature between 5 and 6 pm on June 4th drops on average to between 75 and 80. 

I acknowledge your concern about my guests, but it's really a non-issue and would appreciate if you drop it. I understand an outdoor wedding in June may be something you wouldn't have for yourself, or would choose not to attend and that's your right. My guests have that choice too, however I have put a substantial amount of thought and effort into ensuring the comfort and safety of my guests. I wouldn't want any of them to become ill or be extremely uncomfortable. However again, there's only so much my fiancee and I can do, ultimately it falls on our guests to acknowledge the heat, plan accordingly and use the sunscreen, shade, water, etc. that we will be providing them. 

I never expected you to change your mind as you have obviously thought about the issues and do not care enough to change the plan. I am just saying your guests will be uncomfortable and I am frankly impressed that you AGREE with me but once again choose not to do anything about it. That takes a lot of gall. Heat can be wicked especially for those that might be a bit older, think of the grandmothers. And knowing it will be warm does not change the fact that your body is going to bet hot and uncomfortable.

Asking your guests to "plan accordingly" is a cop out. It is YOUR job to plan to make your guests comfortable at YOUR event. 

On a side note you really cannot control what people post on the internet. You are free to ignore it.
  • Choose very hardy flowers and very hardy guests. Expect both to wilt. 
  • Only suggestion would be use flowers that are heat resistant.  Some flowers like tulips and hydrangea will wilt with first contact to the air and heat.  Roses if they are still pretty closed will open more gradually thoughout the day.  I'd say do your research for specific flowers and how they handle heat and go from there.  Good luck
  • My friend was married in Dallas on June 13th of last year and it was crazy hot and humid (the ceremony was indoors, but her reception was outdoors and guests were miserable and didn't stay long). My wedding was originally scheduled for outdoors as well, but was moved indoors because of the weather - so be prepared for a plan B. I was married last June as well. 

We did take some photos outside for about an hour and I will say I was melting. I was sooooo hot and uncomfortable and I looked it. I moved here from MN and the heat is dryer, but it's still a scorcher and I wouldn't want to spent that much time outside even in the shade. I would consider purchasing tents and large fans. 

Like other said - find hardy flowers that do well in the heat. Wilting will happen and will not be avoided. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards