Budget Weddings Forum

New idea for a budget wedding

Okay, this isn't a NEW idea, it's a new to ME idea ;)

I'm thinking instead of the big blowout wedding I wanted, I'll scale it back to a beach wedding, standing room only. I have my officiant already, he's free. I'd need a dress, a tux, a wedding license and any permits needed by the city of Santa Monica (where I plan to wed) Afterwards we could have a luncheon on the pier at Bubba Gump's, because I absolutely love that place. Total cost would be under 2000 depending on my clothing and flowers. I don't know what else I'm missing, but if anyone has an idea, let me know ;)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New idea for a budget wedding

• Sounds great. The only thing you're missing is chairs. How many guests? If you make it under 30, you could probably swing it. I looked it up, and you may not need a permit (it looks like they do it first come, first served), so that would save you some money.
  • Just chairs.Everything else sounds great!
  • Chairs are a must if you're inviting guests, no question.

Other than that it sounds like it would be a fun day. As long as guests don't have to open their wallets and they have somewhere to sit, you're good.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Just chairs! 

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I had an intimate wedding in a garden and reception at a restaurant. So I totally approve of this concept!
  • We are planning a very similar wedding! It's in the back yard of a B&B overlooking the beach, immediate family only (so probably 20 people) with dinner at a local pub afterwards. We'll be spending less than $3000 including travel costs!
  • This sounds lovely, but you might also want to think about a rain plan! I don't think it should be that hard with your size guest list, just have a plan for somewhere covered if it is raining. Although I don't know anything about Santa Monica, if there is a season where it NEVER rains or something than you can ignore this.

• Invites
    • Postage for invites & rsvp
    • Bouquet for you & boutinerre for groom
    • Flowers for any VIPS (parents, grandparents, etc) if you are doing them
    • Thank you cards & postage for thank you cards
    • Hair & makeup if you want to get them done professional
    • Mani-pedi unless you plan to do them yourself
    • Photographer
    • Rings
  • This is essentially our wedding, only we're on an even smaller budget.
    Wedding at the park, followed by a small picnic gathering. We're doing on signature drink and then having a cooler with beer, soda, and water and feeding everyone mostly finger foods.
    The costs will add up though. We did DIY invitations, which saved a TON, we invited only about 30 people, I'm not getting my hair done, I bought a summer-y dress instead of an actual wedding dress because, well, that's just our preference, We are splurging on a photographer, but we have to pay nothing for the venue or for the officiant. It can be done as cheaply as you want as long as you're willing to work for it!
  • GARION said:

This sounds lovely, but you might also want to think about a rain plan! I don't think it should be that hard with your size guest list, just have a plan for somewhere covered if it is raining. Although I don't know anything about Santa Monica, if there is a season where it NEVER rains or something than you can ignore this.

Apparently you haven't heard about the MAJOR drought in California? 
  • Erikan73 said:

• Invites
    • Postage for invites & rsvp
    • Bouquet for you & boutinerre for groom
    • Flowers for any VIPS (parents, grandparents, etc) if you are doing them
    • Thank you cards & postage for thank you cards
    • Hair & makeup if you want to get them done professional
    • Mani-pedi unless you plan to do them yourself
    • Photographer
    • Rings
    Where did OP say she had a groom? She might have a bride. And either way flowers aren't required. Neither my wife nor myself carried flowers.

Hair/make up and mani-pedi is also not required. Either professional or DIY.
  • GARION said:

This sounds lovely, but you might also want to think about a rain plan! I don't think it should be that hard with your size guest list, just have a plan for somewhere covered if it is raining. Although I don't know anything about Santa Monica, if there is a season where it NEVER rains or something than you can ignore this.

Eh, it's still a good idea.  It was 95 degrees last week.  A couple of days before that it rained.  It's supposed to rain this Friday.  I mean, it's pretty typical to assume you'll be safe from the rain, but it's never a good idea.  Plus, people fucking panic here when it sprinkles.  It's annoying as fuck. Learn how to fucking drive. An eighth inch of rain does not constitute STORM WATCH on the news.

It's more likely that the OP needs a covered space in case it's hot as hell in Santa Monica, but it gets super hazy and damp down at the beach too. June Gloom is a pretty gross time here, but I don't know what month OP is getting married.  

• GARION said:

Having a heat-wave plan in CA would be a good idea.

It was 98 degrees during my October wedding, and we had to change a couple of things so that our guests don't die of heat stroke.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards