Chit Chat
Options

Makeup

I wanna talk about makeup and don't have the time for drama. Or hair and skincare! What are you all using lately that you love? Or what are your beauty woes?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Makeup

• Options
    I just got a new foundation for the wedding called BECCA. I went into Sephora and talked to one of the consultants there because I hardly ever wear foundation, and I wanted something that would stay put for the day. (I had been using a drugstore foundation that I liked but it seemed to just disappear after a half hour or so).

It matches my skin so well, and covers so good, that I've also been using it just as a concealer on days when all I do is put on some concealer and eye-liner and that's it-- which is almost every day.
  • Options
    It sounds good! BECCA sounds familiar, may have to check it out. I need a new foundation for my super dry skin :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    For some skin care, I love my Arbonne stuff. I'm a consultant, but I don't actively sell to others. I just stay current for the discount. I like the anti-aging line. I'm only 26, but I still use it as a preventative. My aunt loves the stuff too, and she can tell a big difference when she uses it.

For breakouts, I love Glamglow mud mask. I buy it from Sephora, but you can probably get it online too. It's not the cheapest, but I had awesome luck using it before my wedding. I'm actually going to buy some more today later. 

As far as makeup goes, I've recently fallen back into using liquid eyeliner occasionally. It takes a little practice to get good at, but I like the more dramatic look that it gives. I also have started using a primer more often, for eyes and before putting on foundation. I can't reapply makeup during the day very easily, so the primer helps me not need to. My favorite is my Arbonne primer, but I'm out of that and am using a drugstore primer right now. It's not as good, but definitely makes a difference compared to not using any. 
  • Options
    hellohkb said:

It sounds good! BECCA sounds familiar, may have to check it out. I need a new foundation for my super dry skin :(

DermaDoctor makes a really good DD cream if you don't need a lot of coverage. It's a really good moisturizer!

Also, a glycolic acid face cleanser has helped a lot with my dry skin because a lot of dead skin would build up and exfoliating too often made my skin really red and bad. The glycolic acid cleaner "gently peels away" dead skin and makes it a lot smoother and nicer to put makeup on. (Something else the consultant taught me, because when she first started putting the foundation on me, the dead skin on my forehead was pretty obvious). Another product by DermaDoctor that I love, but I think a lot of brands make one.
  • Options

For some skin care, I love my Arbonne stuff. I'm a consultant, but I don't actively sell to others. I just stay current for the discount. I like the anti-aging line. I'm only 26, but I still use it as a preventative. My aunt loves the stuff too, and she can tell a big difference when she uses it.

For breakouts, I love Glamglow mud mask. I buy it from Sephora, but you can probably get it online too. It's not the cheapest, but I had awesome luck using it before my wedding. I'm actually going to buy some more today later. 

As far as makeup goes, I've recently fallen back into using liquid eyeliner occasionally. It takes a little practice to get good at, but I like the more dramatic look that it gives. I also have started using a primer more often, for eyes and before putting on foundation. I can't reapply makeup during the day very easily, so the primer helps me not need to. My favorite is my Arbonne primer, but I'm out of that and am using a drugstore primer right now. It's not as good, but definitely makes a difference compared to not using any. 
    Ditto the Glamglow mask. Love this thing. Best mask ever.
    Started on their face scrub, recently, and I'm loving that. 

I'm in love with the Tarte primer.

The Sephora clerk recommended the Kat Von D foundation to me, because I have a dark brown patch on my forehead, and I'm glad I only took a sample. Nasty ass greasy stuff that oxidized and turned orangey, and immediately broke me out like a damned teenager. 

Love the Estée Lauder staying eyeliner pencil that comes in the blue tube with replacement cartridges. 
  • Options
    I'm looking for a good brand of makeup remover wipes, if anyone has a recommendation!
  • Options
    My makeup is "natural" looking, so much V doesn't think  there is much of a  difference ha. I do love Estee Lauder eyeliner too, I have plum and it makes my hazel eyes pop. Plus I love my tinted lip balm, I got it at Ultra. It gives me color but it makes sure my lips don't chap. My foundation has SPF since I'm super pale. I kinda want to try some masks and a detox shampoo I've read about!
  • Options

Okay, don't laugh. 

Best exfoliant I'ver ever used is aspirin. Just plain white uncoated cheap ass drugstore aspirin, dissolved in a little water. It has a really high salicylic acid level, just like a lot of department store and salon treatments. You know how they say not to eat too much aspirin because it can wear away at your stomach lining? Salicylic acid.  Not as strong as a professional peel, obviously, but that's good. I don't want sheets of skin coming off, just a nice exfoliant. 

I leave the paste on for about five minutes, rinse it off, and my face is as soft as a baby's ass, and flake free. 
    I do this all the time. It is also really good as a spot treatment for pimples. It doesn't get rid of them entirely, but it brings the redness down A LOT.
  • Options
    I use Shea Moisture's stuff for my face washing, namely their African Black Soap. I usually use either Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse or Revlon's Whipped 24 hour, which ever's cheapest at the time. Both have really nice coverage, but the Revlon is less greasy. I always use NYC loose powder, because it works and its 2 bucks. I love Rimmel London's big eyeliner crayons and I use a lot of their lipsticks too.
  • Options
    I have been trying to replace all of my beauty/skin care products with natural and chemical free alternatives. I put so much effort into eating organically/healthy and it doesn't make sense to avoid putting toxins in my body just to absorb them into my body via my make up and skin care. 

Problem is there are so few wholesome and affordable cosmetic companies. Bare Minerals is pretty good. 100% pure makes GREAT skincare products that are completely vegan and organic. I used to have horrible acne, but after switching to products that avoid a laundry list of toxins (phalates, parabens, talc, SLS, SLES, artificial color and fragrance, etc) my skin is perfectly clear.
  • Options

I have been trying to replace all of my beauty/skin care products with natural and chemical free alternatives. I put so much effort into eating organically/healthy and it doesn't make sense to avoid putting toxins in my body just to absorb them into my body via my make up and skin care. 

Problem is there are so few wholesome and affordable cosmetic companies. Bare Minerals is pretty good. 100% pure makes GREAT skincare products that are completely vegan and organic. I used to have horrible acne, but after switching to products that avoid a laundry list of toxins (phalates, parabens, talc, SLS, SLES, artificial color and fragrance, etc) my skin is perfectly clear.
    I agree. Makeup is my next step in going more natural and chemical free. Arbonne is pretty good, and I like that they are vegan. I'm a vegetarian, and animal testing is becoming more and more of a thing to be concerned about. The only issue is that even with my consultant discount, it's not cheap stuff. It's good quality and all, but I live on a teacher's salary. I have to prioritize when I buy my skin care and makeup items. I'm getting to the point, though, where I'd rather spend more money on good quality items that I don't have moral issues with and make cuts to spending elsewhere. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I know there are many redheads on here.

This eyebrow pencil is amazing. Good red pencils are so fucking hard to find. This one is brown with a hint of red, so I believe it will just darken most of our eyebrows. It's not overly red, but it's not so brown that it looks fake. 

I don't see where it has the auburn one, I wonder if they aren't making it anymore??? I have only ever seen the auburn one at this CVS near me. I can't even really find it online. I hope I don't have to find  a new pencil :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My newest purchases are Make Up For Ever HD foundation which I love, and their green Step 1 primer. The green tint helps to eliminate the appearance of redness, which is something that has always bothered me.

My current favorite shadow palette is Lorac's Unzipped. I do still occasionally use Naked 2. I'm running low on mascara and I think I'm gonna repurchase the Better Than Sex mascara by Too Faced. Lately I've been using that along with They're Real to get volume and separation.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    I don't wear makeup, sensitive skin and having stuff on my face bugs me.  I also forget I have it on and rub my eyes.  Only wear it for the stage. 

The only facial product that has never given me a rash or irritated my skin is Burt Bees (I have tried several other products that were fine at first, but eventually I would get a rash).

I love, love, luuuurrrrrrrve Burt Bees.  My bathroom is packed with the stuff (also my Step mom always gets a me a huge Burt Bees gift basket for Christmas, love her).  I have four different types of their lotion, facial wipes, eye cream, a couple hand creams, facial towelettes and on and on (lots of fun small stuff from the gift baskets).

• Options

My newest obsession is Bite Beauty agave lip mask.  It's a bit expensive but a little goes a long way and I think the overall condition of my lips has improved since I started using it.  The Jack Black lip balms came highly recommended and that would have been cheaper, but I was turned off by the petroleum and parabens.

After an exhaustive search after my two favorite mascaras were discontinued, I've finally landed on Benefit's They're Real.  It's not waterproof (or at least if they have a waterproof version I'm not using it), but it has caused the least amount of raccoon eyes of all the ones I tried.

And I've never been good at applying eyeliner and rarely wear it, but I have been pleased with my recent purchases of Smashbox Always Sharp waterproof kohl eyeliner.  I've been wearing Penny Lane this past week along with Sophisticated eyeshadow from Lush for an easy daytime look and have gotten a crazy number of compliments about it.

And again, pricey, but I'm also loving the Hourglass ambient lighting powders - I have dim and mood.  I have not been as impressed with their new eyeshadows though after testing them out at Sephora and am really upset that I didn't indulge in their eyeshadow duos, which were much better, before they were discontinued.

• Options

UD's Naked 3 is my go-to palette.  Love it!

I also do the no-sell Arbonne consultant thing for the discount.  It's pricey, but it lasts for freaking ever.  I was using the anti-aging line for a while, but it got a little overwhelming with too many steps, so I just kept the toner, and went with another line (I think it's called Pure?) for cleanser and moisturizer.  I had also started using NuCerity, but it got a bit ridiculous with the number of products, so I haven't ordered it again.

Arbonne also has a great sea mud masque that I like, and an aromatherapy scrub that makes my feet and elbows (and arms and legs and stomach) feel like silk.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    I've talked a little about the all natural line I started using about a year ago. I thought I had oily skin but I was actually just over stripping it so much that my skin was going into overdrive. You know that squeaky clean feeling your face can get sometimes? That isn't a feeling you should ever get!

Recently I've been purchasing makeup for the wedding. MACs waterproof eyeliner pencil, I absolutely love it. That stuff doesn't go anywhere. Kat Von D's Full Coverage foundation. I don't need full coverage day to day but for those special events I want flawless and this is one of the few liquid foundations that doesn't oxidize 2+ shades darker like a lot others (seriously, makeup forever made me look like jersey shore spray tanned on my fair skinned body, its so weird).

imageimage

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    @pinkrevenge You need to just go whole hog and get MAC Heroine to go with that plum dress. SO PRETTY. 
  • Options
    Can I ask about hairspray really quick? I didn't want to start an entire thread just for hairspray. Does anyone know of a kind that's good for volume?

I did all the stuff that was recommended in the thread I had about volume a couple weeks ago (skipped the conditioner, put in a volumizing serum from roots to ends while my hair was damp, blow-dried upside down, used a round brush, put my hair in big Velcro curlers for a bit, teased the roots a little). The volume was so awesome for like 5 minutes. Then I started curling the ends of my hair and it all fell flat. Like, really flat. Whomp whomp.
  • Options
    novella1186 I just picked up some Freeze It in the gold bottle at Walgreens yesterday. You can get stuck in a 45 mph wind gust and your hair wont go anywhere.

imageimage

• Options

Can I ask about hairspray really quick? I didn't want to start an entire thread just for hairspray. Does anyone know of a kind that's good for volume?

I did all the stuff that was recommended in the thread I had about volume a couple weeks ago (skipped the conditioner, put in a volumizing serum from roots to ends while my hair was damp, blow-dried upside down, used a round brush, put my hair in big Velcro curlers for a bit, teased the roots a little). The volume was so awesome for like 5 minutes. Then I started curling the ends of my hair and it all fell flat. Like, really flat. Whomp whomp.

I have pin straight, thin hair. I have a lot of hair, but the stands themselves are very fine. The only way I can keep curl in my hair for a few hours is mousse in second day hair or hair that was washed several hours ago, with hot rollers. I leave them in long after they have cooled so the curls set, take the curlers out and spray the shit out of the curls with hairspray when I'm about to go out the door. My curls will last about 3 hours that way. But it's the only way I've been able to get them to last longer than 30 minutes, other than sleeping in rollers with slightly damp hair. When I do that my curls will last all day and I just add mousse or hairspray to my roots to add a little lift. 
  • Options
    I love Big Sexy Root Pump Mousse while my hair is wet and blow drying upside down.  Big Sexy has a hairspray I really love to. They also make a volumizing powder that's pretty good! Hope you find something that works for you!
  • Options
    I can't really afford expensive makeup right now. But as someone with sensitive skin, I have to be picky.

I use Revlon ColorStay 24 hr coverage. It stays all day long and doesn't break my skin out. I also use ELF pressed powder on top of that or as my foundation for the day if I want lighter makeup. I use Milani Fake Bake as Bronzer and the free Clinique blush you get when you spend a certain amount of money. 

My eye shadow is a little bit of everything. I do really like the Naked Basics palette. For eyeliner, I use CoverGirl exclusively, the gel pencil. And mascara is a combination of CoverGirl Lash Blast then the cheapest Maybelline and the top it again with the CG. This works better than anything else I've tried.

@novella I used Big Sexy Hair hair spray.

• Options
    I love my mascara - Clinique high impact. Zero clumps and doesn't dry my lashes out at all.

My nail polish right now is I'm Not Really A Waitress by OPI. Such a good red and I'm in love.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks for the hairspray advice, ladies! I think I will try out the Big Sexy brand. 
  • Options
    I just bought most of the new MAC Bao Bao collection as a little present to myself.

My new favorite liquid liner is actually a drug store one, Milani Hi Tech angled liquid liner, it's flawless.

And I still love my Hourglass Ambient light palette.

• Options
    I need major help with foundation. I am suuuuuper pasty and have not been able to fine a single thing that matches my skintone in the 10 years that I have been wearing makeup (wow, that makes me sound like a baby child). I ALWAYYYYYYS have that weird jaw color line. Everything is either too dark/orange, or too white. 

It lasted me forever, so i'm not that opposed to the price point, it just wasn't good enough.

Also, those mousse type ones don't work for me and dry out my skin like CRAZY.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards