Moms and Maids

Gift for my Parents

I am very close with my parents and they are completely paying for the wedding. 

I want to register for something nice and give it to them after the wedding, I would love some ideas! Something I could register for at Macy's Sears or Bed Bath and Beyond, I'm thinking Macy's. 

Also, I want to give them something the day of the wedding, so I'd love some ideas for that too.

My dad loves photography and is retired, my mom is a federal judge, they take dancing lessons once a week together and have for like a decade. Trying to think of other things they like... they both LOVE their golden retriever. 

Thank you all in advance for the help!! 

Re: Gift for my Parents

• I am very close with my parents and they are completely paying for the wedding. 

I want to register for something nice and give it to them after the wedding, I would love some ideas! Something I could register for at Macy's Sears or Bed Bath and Beyond, I'm thinking Macy's. 

Also, I want to give them something the day of the wedding, so I'd love some ideas for that too.

My dad loves photography and is retired, my mom is a federal judge, they take dancing lessons once a week together and have for like a decade. Trying to think of other things they like... they both LOVE their golden retriever. 

Thank you all in advance for the help!! 
    I'm confused: are you planning on adding this item to your registry and having one of your guests pay for it? If not, I don't know why you need to register and not just buy it outright yourself.
  • WHAT?! You don't register for a gift that someone else will pay for and then give it to your parents. If you want to give them something you save up the money and buy it yourself.
  • I have no money so I was thinking of registering for something with the intent of giving it to them as a gift afterward
  • I have no money so I was thinking of registering for something with the intent of giving it to them as a gift afterward

You don't have to spend money to give them a meaningful gift. Sit down, write a heartfelt letter. Trust me, that will mean more to them than any boxed gift.

Either way, it is VERY VERY inappropriate to register for something and make one of your guests pay for it just so you can gift it to your parents because you don't have the money to pay for it yourself.
  • Thanks for the input everyone! I saw this as an idea on a wedding planning community and was considering it. The more I think about it the worse of an idea it is. 

I really love The Knot especially for its community, and it's sort of disappointing how harsh many of you have been on this thread. 

Again, thank you for the input! Idea trashed.

WTF?  No.  That is so incredibly not okay.

• Thanks for the input everyone! I saw this as an idea on a wedding planning community and was considering it. The more I think about it the worse of an idea it is. 

I really love The Knot especially for its community, and it's sort of disappointing how harsh many of you have been on this thread. 

Think of just how awkward it would have been if your parents purchased and gifted to you, the item that you really wanted to give them!  

And you seriously can't think that anyone on this thread has been harsh, right?  That must have been a joke!  You are so funny OP!
    Or what if the person who did buy it is at the parents' house and comments on how they bought the exact same thing for the OP for the wedding and the parents' go, "Oh, how funny, she gave this to us after the wedding. Hey, wait a minute...." 

Or what if nobody buys it and the OP doesn't have a back up plan? Or what if somebody does buy it but something happens and it arrives damaged or doesn't arrive at all or arrives a couple weeks after the wedding? 

Seriously, this is a HORRIBLE idea. Who the hell is suggesting this? 
  • A parent gift doesn't have to be expensive, but for the love of everything, it should NOT be re-gifted. Even if you intended it for them from the start. That is so. unbelievably. rude. to both the person who buys it from your registry and to your parents.

Buy a nice picture frame (again, doesn't have to be expensive) with a print of one of your wedding pictures, and a nice, heartfelt card about how grateful you are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• PPs have it covered.  My first thoughts were something between "WTF" and "Oh, honey no."  Totally inappropriate.  A heartfelt letter would be way better than the horrible idea that you had. 

Oh, and my mother would know in a heartbeat that she was getting a re-gift, because she would have been all over my registry analyzing it before the wedding.  And her feelings would be incredibly hurt to get something like that.  There are much better options out there that will cost you little to nothing, and still be meaningful. 

You ask a question how to best gift your parents via fraud and deceit, but we're harsh?? 
  • edited March 2015
    Yikes - is this for real? It's nice that they are paying for your wedding, but if you are unable to purchase them a simple gift I feel something is amiss? Are you jobless? Why don't you have any money? Are they paying for your wedding more out of obligation or did you ask them to support your nupticals? Will you and your FI be able to support yourselves after the wedding? So many unanswered questions. 
  • Wow. Just, wow. I have so many questions...

How do you and you FI plan to support yourselves? Will he support you? Will your parents or his support you as a couple? Are you in school? Were you both victims of a freak gasoline fight accident? Were you featured on My Super Sweet Sixteen?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards