Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Pricing

I'm trying to find invitations for my wedding and I'm just wonder what others paid for theirs.   So, a little poll here....

1) Where did you purchase your invitations?

2) How many invitations did you order?

3) What was the total cost?  

Thanks, I'm very stressed about this part of the planning process.  Getting some perspective from others might help. 

Re: Invitation Pricing

• 1) Vistaprint, with various sales

2) I ordered 100. This was partly because our list was still in flux when I ordered the invites several months ago, and I hadn't figured out how many invites we would need. I would have been fine ordering 80 of the invites and all inserts. 

3) Flat 6 x 9 " invitation on linen x 100 = $70
    Glossy print small RSVP post card x 100 = $20
    5.5 x 4" Reception card x 100 = $54
    Custom envelopes with pre-printed return address x 100 = $52
    Custom printed envelope seals with logo x 120 = $20
    Business card sized insert regarding hotel block x 100 = $10
    Came with a crap ton of extra white envelopes, $226 plus shipping and tax, probably $260 total. 

Invites just went out yesterday, people at FI's work, who he hand delivered to, allegedly raved about them. To be honest by the time I was done designing, ordering, addressing and stuffing the things, I was pretty sick of them. Part of me did wish I had splurged just on the invites themselves, I found out after the fact that David's Bridal does thermography and letterpress for less than I would have thought. I still think doing the inserts on Vistaprint was the right way to go though. 
  • 1) MagnetStreet (we also purchased our STDs from them and they have been great to work with!)

2) We ordered 150 invites, 150 reception cards, 150 RSVP postcards and 150 envelopes.

3) The total cost was $410 (I had a 30% off coupon from them that helped to cut cost down quite a bit). 

Don't stress! I thought this was one of the easier parts of the planning process. Have fun with it! Happy planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1. We went to a fancy invitationer (my parents paid and my mom wanted super fancy invites for some crazy reason)

2. I think we ordered 125 invites, 125 reception envelopes, i think in the end it was 140 RSVP cards (we had 2 diff RSVP cards - 1 for OOT guests invited to the brunch the next day, and 1 for locals not invited to the brunch), 125 inserts with my wedding website (and saying hotel info was on the site), and I think 70 card inserts inviting OOT guests to the brunch.  We ended up sending 102 invitations (we invited 172 I think.  My mom went over her self-imposed guest limit)

3. I'm not sure about the final price after my mom negotiated, but I think they were maybe $3,000.

Definitely don't stress!  I actually found this to be overwhelming, but mostly because I had to sit in a room and talk about paper for like an hour, and I honestly didn't care that much haha.  If you're stressed, I would recommend maybe going into an invite shop just to see what general style you like in person, and then going online and ordering it

• dcbride86 said:

1. We went to a fancy invitationer (my parents paid and my mom wanted super fancy invites for some crazy reason)

2. I think we ordered 125 invites, 125 reception envelopes, i think in the end it was 140 RSVP cards (we had 2 diff RSVP cards - 1 for OOT guests invited to the brunch the next day, and 1 for locals not invited to the brunch), 125 inserts with my wedding website (and saying hotel info was on the site), and I think 70 card inserts inviting OOT guests to the brunch.  We ended up sending 102 invitations (we invited 172 I think.  My mom went over her self-imposed guest limit)

3. I'm not sure about the final price after my mom negotiated, but I think they were maybe $3,000.

Definitely don't stress!  I actually found this to be overwhelming, but mostly because I had to sit in a room and talk about paper for like an hour, and I honestly didn't care that much haha.  If you're stressed, I would recommend maybe going into an invite shop just to see what general style you like in person, and then going online and ordering it

I got overwhelmed at first by invites. I actually love nice paper. Like, I went to an expo and one local company gave out the most gorgeous letter press samples and I basically couldn't stop touching them. But I also was completely floored by how much one could manage to spend on invitations and inserts. dcbride, I'm sure yours were gorgeous. 

OP, as you can see, there is a very very broad range of prices you can pay so keep that in mind. If you don't have it in the budget to do something truly fancy you can do something less expensive and people will still end up invited to your wedding!
  • dcbride86 said:

1. We went to a fancy invitationer (my parents paid and my mom wanted super fancy invites for some crazy reason)

I got overwhelmed at first by invites. I actually love nice paper. Like, I went to an expo and one local company gave out the most gorgeous letter press samples and I basically couldn't stop touching them. But I also was completely floored by how much one could manage to spend on invitations and inserts. dcbride, I'm sure yours were gorgeous

OP, as you can see, there is a very very broad range of prices you can pay so keep that in mind. If you don't have it in the budget to do something truly fancy you can do something less expensive and people will still end up invited to your wedding!
    Thanks.  They really, really are beautiful.  I think it was pretty crazy to spend so much on invitations, but my mom seemed to really care and she was paying, and honestly - I was too overwhelmed by that part to find something else and then fight with my mom about whether or not they were fancy enough.  Invitations and flowers just totally overwhelmed me.  Too many options about things I don't know a lot about, and so much more expensive than I think they should be.  Flowers were another thing my mom wanted to go all fancy on, though, so maybe she's just the one that overwhelms me lol
  • dcbride86 said:

dcbride86 said:

I got overwhelmed at first by invites. I actually love nice paper. Like, I went to an expo and one local company gave out the most gorgeous letter press samples and I basically couldn't stop touching them. But I also was completely floored by how much one could manage to spend on invitations and inserts. dcbride, I'm sure yours were gorgeous

Thanks.  They really, really are beautiful.  I think it was pretty crazy to spend so much on invitations, but my mom seemed to really care and she was paying, and honestly - I was too overwhelmed by that part to find something else and then fight with my mom about whether or not they were fancy enough.  Invitations and flowers just totally overwhelmed me.  Too many options about things I don't know a lot about, and so much more expensive than I think they should be.  Flowers were another thing my mom wanted to go all fancy on, though, so maybe she's just the one that overwhelms me lol
    If we had no budget or a huge budget I would probably go crazy on flowers and invites. I love both. But because we don't have a huge budget we have to be careful what we spend on things that do not directly effect our guests comfort. 

It sounds like your mom was super helpful, it's probably great that she got to be involved and conveniently it was with things you didn't care a lot about. My mom loves flowers but lives far away, her biggest thing is that I should use a local grower. But she's not great at following through so I'm just taking care of it myself. 
  • dcbride86 said:

dcbride86 said:

If we had no budget or a huge budget I would probably go crazy on flowers and invites. I love both. But because we don't have a huge budget we have to be careful what we spend on things that do not directly effect our guests comfort. 

It sounds like your mom was super helpful, it's probably great that she got to be involved and conveniently it was with things you didn't care a lot about. My mom loves flowers but lives far away, her biggest thing is that I should use a local grower. But she's not great at following through so I'm just taking care of it myself. 

Yeah, she has been really helpful.  She totally does overwhelm me because she cares SO much about some things and wants me to care as much (but also have the same opinion as her), but for the most part she's been really great.

It makes that you're taking care of it, especially with your mom living far away.  My parents live about 2 or 3 miles away from me, so my mom has been fairly involved with wedding planning.

• I have not bought mine yet but have priced them out.

Going to order about 150 invites, linen heavy weight panel cards with raised print ink. 150 RSVP with raised print ink. 150 invite envelopes and 150 RSVP envelopes with the address printed in the correct spot for each.

Total Cost: $160

Simple, clean, easy. My parents owned a small printing company for about 35 years so we still know wholesale printers and will use one of them.

• 1. I downloaded a free font and designed them myself and bought paper and envelopes at Michael's. A local print shop will printing and cutting them. 

2. We are only inviting immediate family so we will only need about 20.

3. We haven't paid for the printing cost yet but total including postage will be less than $75.
  • 1. I ordered my invitations from minted

2. I first ordered 105, then had to order 10 more

3. All in all, I spent about $452. And that's with coupon codes.
  • 1) Michaels
    2) I think about 170, but can't recall for sure. We invited about 225 people.
    3) about $50. We got the template invites on clearance. We did buy a nice, expensive printer so we could print at home and keep the printer for future use, so that was over $300 I think. Still a major savings over what we were looking at ordering.

Also...that cost obvious doesn't include invite postage or RSVP envelope postage.
    *********************************************************************************

• 1) Designed my own, via MS Publisher, printed via UPrinting.com

2) 125 invites

3) Invitation, reception insert, RSVP card = $195; envelopes = $39 (white peel and stick A7s from Amazon); postage = $100 (I think we sent 117 and managed it under the standard first class weight.)

• 1) I ordered a pdf file from an Etsy designer and printed from a local mom and pop copy shop.

2) 70 invites and 70 rsvp cards, plus a map/directions card an accommodations card, and enclosure tag. Each of those added extras I printed 70 as well.

3) The Etsy design file came out to $58 dollars with the added extras of the map/direction card, accommodations card and the enclosure tag. Envelopes roughly $27 the outer envelopes from Hobby Lobby the rsvp envelopes from a store called Paper Source. Stamps roughly $70.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1 - We got ours at Invitations By Dawn. We had gotten STDates from there and ended up ordering the matching invitations.

2 - 96 laser printed invitations on 115lb card stock, 96 unlined white inner envelopes, 96 white outer envelopes, 84 matching response cards, and 84 response card envelopes (they included our address pre-printed on them).

3 - With a coupon code I found, it came out to $199.48 with shipping.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• 1) I ordered a pdf file from an Etsy designer and printed from a local mom and pop copy shop.

2) 70 invites and 70 rsvp cards, plus a map/directions card an accommodations card, and enclosure tag. Each of those added extras I printed 70 as well.

3) The Etsy design file came out to $58 dollars with the added extras of the map/direction card, accommodations card and the enclosure tag. Envelopes roughly $27 the outer envelopes from Hobby Lobby the rsvp envelopes from a store called Paper Source. Stamps roughly $70.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost to get those printed at the mom/pop printer shop? This is the route we are thinking of going as well, so the printing cost will help me decide for sure. 
  • 100 invitations  including invitation, RSVP card, RSVP envelope, inner lined envelope and outer lined envelope.  They were by Birchcraft, ordered through a local shop for a total of around $230.  Birchcraft is also carried at Party City, so you can see and feel the invitations......we just googled and found them even cheaper elsewhere.

• 1. We used a calligrapher for everything

2. 12 invitations, response cards, and envelopes (including addresses/return address) for a wedding of 15 people

3. around $350
  • adettma32 said:

1) I ordered a pdf file from an Etsy designer and printed from a local mom and pop copy shop.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost to get those printed at the mom/pop printer shop? This is the route we are thinking of going as well, so the printing cost will help me decide for sure. 
    @adettma32 To print 70 invites, 70 rsvp cards, 70 maps/directions card, 70 accommodations cards, and 70 enclosure tags on 100lb paper it cost $83.91. If I had printed on 80lb paper as the Etsy designer recommended, the printing price the mom/pop copy shop gave me would have been cheaper but they would have been more flimsy, so we paid extra and did the 100lb paper, the difference was only a few cents to a at most 2 dollars if I can recall correctly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't ordered yet, so I don't have pricing exactly down, but I plan on going the Vistaprint route for two reasons:

1) I can buy in increments of 10, instead of 25 or 50

2) tons of sales and coupon codes available on a regular basis

I plan on ordering about 50 invites and RSVP cards, and with sales I've seen before, am expecting to spend like $50-$60
  • @caitlinmca, thanks for sharing! Very helpful. :)
  • 1) STDs from Vistaprint; invites designed by me and printed/ordered through Cards and Pockets

2) 100 STD postcards; 100 invites mounted to panel pockets - this included a details card, an RSVP card and envelope, and both an inner and outer envelope.

3) STDs: $45 including postage (with Vistaprint coupon code); invites: $400 including postage, extra envelopes, and calligraphy supplies
  • I thought I was going to do the whole Wedding Paper Divas route and when my FI saw the pricetag he encouraged me strongly to figure out an alternative.  Which I did.  Here's my breakdown:

1) Where did you purchase your invitations?  Vistaprint for invitations

2) How many invitations did you order?  We ordered 80 invitations, with 80 RSVP cards w/free envelopes, 80 Reception cards and 80 Accommodations information cards

3) What was the total cost?  Total price was $85.  I was lucky in that I ordered my invitations a day after there was a 50% off everything on the site and was able to be 'grandfathered' into that deal.  Never pay full price for anything with Vistaprint -- there's always a sale or a coupon code out there.  Now I did do a little doctoring up to these bad boys, including getting nicer envelopes from Paper Source.  So, for adding a border and envelopes, that was an additional $75 and an additional $35 for ribbon.  Total:  $195.  Postage, however:  $75.  Invitations total:  $270.  I'll take that.  :)

Finally sent the last invite out today.  I'm so happy Im done with that part!
  • I just ordered the All in One invites from Invitations by Dawn.

96 shimmer paper upgrade invitations (reception info is on the back)

96 reply cards with printed envelopes

108 silver lined inner envelopes

108 silver shimmer return address printed outer envelopes

Digital proof

$218 after 30% off with free shipping

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards