Chit Chat

Is it me or are the cultural boards a bit too specific?

2»

Re: Is it me or are the cultural boards a bit too specific?

• loro929loro929 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

loro929 said:

I mean you can ask a question anywhere. People generally try to answer and if they think it best belongs somewhere else, they say so (you see "try posting this on XX board" all the time around here). There's also mods who have the ability to move a post.

I don't understand your issue. I view the cultural boards as good places to ask questions about specific kinds (or religious) of ceremonies. Most posters over here would not be much help with how to form the timeline of a Hindu wedding, for example.

Anyone can help with a general logistics question, however. You're making this hard and weird.

I am sorry but I really don't understand how asking a question regarding the types of cultural boards available is making things hard and weird. I asked a question, don't they say in school "there is no such thing as stupid questions"? 

I already responded, several times, agreeing with PPs and their suggestions for certain boards. So, I am a little unsure where your comment is coming from...

Oh geeze, relax dude. I'm saying that if one of the cultural boards doesn't apply, don't post there. If one does apply, post there and maybe XP here if you want more responses and ideas.

I didn't remotely suggest your questions was a stupid one, though I generally firmly disagree with the notion that there are no stupid questions. I'm saying you're making this weird because you're making it wayyyy harder than it has to be. You could have posted your questions here, and then maybe someone who have suggested , "try XPing on the Interfaith Ceremonies Board." That's my point. I don't get why you just didn't post your question and XP it somewhere instead of going down this windy road about the Cultural Boards.

The majority of my family lives in India. My cousins will often have programs and other materials printed in two languages. I agree with Novella's suggestions. It's not too difficult.

I agree with you. I just went into self-defense mode because in my mind my question made sense, but I don't deny that it might make sense only in the way that something you have been working on for days and days without any break makes sense to you but then doesn't have any sense when you go to explain it to someone else. That being said, although my question made a lot of sense thinking it -  I suppose when getting it out "on screen", it became something probably long-winded and unnecessary. Either way, I appreciate the responses of all PPs who provided direction and guidance. Sometimes things that seem really straightforward for some people really aren't for others.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygaga said:

I calls um like I sees um

Huh?
    I called the thread attention whorish because you assumed you are the only person with your specific problem on the knot. As evidenced by 

"I guess that you are not used to dealing with people who speak different languages, and the challenges it can propose."

When in truth a lot of people on here, including me, are dealing with many cultures and languages. It reminds me of a misunderstood teen or something. 

So unless you are from a different planet entirely, ask your question and someone on the knot or on google will have an answer. Or ask a mod to make a board that you would like to see. 

Now I'm just giving you the attention that I don't want to give you. You win!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• loro929 said:

larrygaga said:

I don't see how the commonality of the languages matter? Seat people with who they would actually sit with if they were picking their own seats. I'm assuming that you two have a main language so base everything off that. Music can be enjoyed no matter what language it's in. If you can find a DJ or announcer that speaks languages to translate announcements, cool. I'm not really sure what else you need for that at a wedding. The Knot can't possibly cover everything, so they covered common western subjects. Then they gave us a lot of general discussion boards for the stuff they didn't cover.

Maybe I'm crabby but this just comes off as an AW post. If you have a specific question usewww.google.com or ask us, I'm sure we could help you figure it out. 

I don't really understand how you can say that the commonality of the languages doesn't matter? Souldn't both families get to enjoy (and understand) the wedding and of their children?
    I guess that you are not used to dealing with people who speak different languages, and the challenges it can propose.

So does each side ONLY speak their one specific language, or is there a common language? Is it like people on your side only speak and understand Polish but people on his side only speak and understand Swahili? Or do they also all speak English (or at least some English)? Is it a necessity to find translators and whatnot? 
    There is no common language. Each side speaks their own language, so there are some things, more so than just the ceremony that need to be taken into consideration. I don't really think we will be needing translators, but rather will try to at least say the vows in both languages. I was really just curious what people do for everything else: re. menus, stationary, speeches, etc. 

This is why I was just looking for a place to discuss this, I didn't know where it would have been appropriate as I didn't find anything on the culture board. Yet, the suggestions by PPs were helpful. I did not mean for it to be an AW post, but whatever, potato, potahto.

Yeah I guess I wouldn't know being that a third of my family is coming down from Quebec and FI's family is coming over from the reservation. 

What I'm saying, again, is that you aren't as special and unique and different as you think you are. 

JFC with the SS comments. Where in any post did I say anything in regards to the bolded statement? I specifically said I wasn't looking for something specific, just a general guidance on where to go.  If you are crabby today, why take it out on other people?

I think it is because you posted complaining that you can't find a board that is specific it your issue.

But really, over all you are making things way harder then they need to be.  I understand that you want both families to enjoy and understand your entire wedding but a lot of what you are worried about (menus, speeches, etc) really have common sense answers...print the paper materials in both languages, have the speeches said in both languages.  This is really and truly not all that hard.  If you can't find a DJ that speaks both or either language your families speak them maybe ask a family member from either side to be MCs.  Typically you don't want to ask family to do things for your but I think in this case it is necessary.  Or you and your FI can get up and translate.

• loro929loro929 member
    edited March 2015
    larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:

I calls um like I sees um

Huh?
    I called the thread attention whorish because you assumed you are the only person with your specific problem on the knot. As evidenced by 

"I guess that you are not used to dealing with people who speak different languages, and the challenges it can propose."

When in truth a lot of people on here, including me, are dealing with many cultures and languages. It reminds me of a misunderstood teen or something. 

So unless you are from a different planet entirely, ask your question and someone on the knot or on google will have an answer. Or ask a mod to make a board that you would like to see. 

Now I'm just giving you the attention that I don't want to give you. You win!
    *******************************boxes not working********************************

Um, not really. That was a response to YOUR post regarding my OP, which you said AFTER you said my post as AW. 

I did not in any way or in any place make any assumption that I am the ONLY one in my situation. Sorry, but I was just asking for guidance in my OP because I was not sure what was the appropriate board to ask my questions because, at first glance, I did not see any place where I would fit. 

I know I should probably just let this go, because its petty, but I really don't like being called things when I was asking an innocent question for information, which I received and was thankful for.

Please, tone down the judgement a little bit.  If you would actually read what I and other PPs wrote, you would have seen that there was a productive conversation where guidance and suggestions were given, and taken with gratitude. So again, your claims of me being AW or SS don't really make too much sense in regards to this post.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • loro929loro929 member
    edited March 2015

loro929 said:

larrygaga said:

I don't see how the commonality of the languages matter? Seat people with who they would actually sit with if they were picking their own seats. I'm assuming that you two have a main language so base everything off that. Music can be enjoyed no matter what language it's in. If you can find a DJ or announcer that speaks languages to translate announcements, cool. I'm not really sure what else you need for that at a wedding. The Knot can't possibly cover everything, so they covered common western subjects. Then they gave us a lot of general discussion boards for the stuff they didn't cover.

Maybe I'm crabby but this just comes off as an AW post. If you have a specific question usewww.google.com or ask us, I'm sure we could help you figure it out. 

I don't really understand how you can say that the commonality of the languages doesn't matter? Souldn't both families get to enjoy (and understand) the wedding and of their children?
    I guess that you are not used to dealing with people who speak different languages, and the challenges it can propose.

So does each side ONLY speak their one specific language, or is there a common language? Is it like people on your side only speak and understand Polish but people on his side only speak and understand Swahili? Or do they also all speak English (or at least some English)? Is it a necessity to find translators and whatnot? 
    There is no common language. Each side speaks their own language, so there are some things, more so than just the ceremony that need to be taken into consideration. I don't really think we will be needing translators, but rather will try to at least say the vows in both languages. I was really just curious what people do for everything else: re. menus, stationary, speeches, etc. 

This is why I was just looking for a place to discuss this, I didn't know where it would have been appropriate as I didn't find anything on the culture board. Yet, the suggestions by PPs were helpful. I did not mean for it to be an AW post, but whatever, potato, potahto.
    Yeah I guess I wouldn't know being that a third of my family is coming down from Quebec and FI's family is coming over from the reservation. 

What I'm saying, again, is that you aren't as special and unique and different as you think you are. 

JFC with the SS comments. Where in any post did I say anything in regards to the bolded statement? I specifically said I wasn't looking for something specific, just a general guidance on where to go.  If you are crabby today, why take it out on other people?

I think it is because you posted complaining that you can't find a board that is specific it your issue.

But really, over all you are making things way harder then they need to be.  I understand that you want both families to enjoy and understand your entire wedding but a lot of what you are worried about (menus, speeches, etc) really have common sense answers...print the paper materials in both languages, have the speeches said in both languages.  This is really and truly not all that hard.  If you can't find a DJ that speaks both or either language your families speak them maybe ask a family member from either side to be MCs.  Typically you don't want to ask family to do things for your but I think in this case it is necessary.  Or you and your FI can get up and translate.

True, I guess I didn't really see it as an AW post. But, as I said before, potato, potahto, right?

Thanks for the suggestions, as I mentioned, we are done with all of the major planning, so now I am trying to focus on the details. @photokitty hit it on the head, I suppose at the root of it all is that I was looking for someone who has gone through a situation that is similar to mine so that we can share tips. However, with the great general multi-lingual advice I have been getting here, without even really asking a specific question, I realized that I can probably adapt any advice from the global boards to our specific case. So, again, thanks and I appreciate it. When I have something more concrete to ask, I know exactly where to go now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have overreacted to nearly every answer. Holy crap. The comment about the commonality of languages had nothing to do with not dealing with other languages, just that whether you're talking about Spanish, Urdu, or Klingon, the challenges would be the same. You don't need a specific "Polish/Swahili" board, and even a multi-lingual weddings board isn't really necessary since lots of people on the general ceremony/reception/invite/etiquette boards DO deal with Spanish/English, etc weddings, and can help from that perspective. Same reason we don't need an "addressing invites to same sex couples" board. Idk why you got so defensive.

• loro929loro929 member
    edited March 2015
    @lolo883 I actually believe I thanked all of the PPs for providing insight, including you when you brought up the topic of not dispersing the boards too thinly. It was something I did not realize and I was glad you brought it to my attention.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to a wedding in Austria a few years ago.

Bride and groom met in the islands.  (that is where we met them too)  Their common language is English.

The bride is from Austria. Her mom is from France and her Dad from Austria.    Mom's side pretty much only speaks French.  Dad's side only German.  So the bride speaks both.

Groom was born in the USA.  However, his parents immigrated from Ecuador.  So his extended family still lives in Ecuador and speaks Spanish. He also speaks Spanish.

Their Catholic wedding was preformed in English by an priest born and raised in India.  Ha

Ha - did you get all that?   

The ceremony was preformed in English because that was the couple's common language.   The programs were written in 4 languages.    English, French, Spanish and German.   One part of the ceremony was spoken in all 4 languages.

At the reception we all sat with people with our common language, which was also those people we would have sat with anyway.  I.E we sat with our other friends from the islands.  Her mom's side sat with each other, her  dad's side together, groom's family together, etc. 

The speeches were limited and spoken mostly in English.  Because again that was the couple's common language.  There was some translating going on by the couple.

4 different languages did not stop the party.   It was a great wedding and we all basically understood what was going on  (We did have the common denominator of everyone being Catholic).

Anyway, I think you over thought this "I don't have a board to ask a question" thing.  If you had simply asked a question you would have gotten an answer or worse case been told where to go.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • larrygaga said:

I am a goddamn special UNICORN!!!

I did not see a board for an Irish/French/Mexican/Italian wedding. We just picked random shit from each of our cultures and did the thing that went with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards