Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Wording Question

Could I please get some help regarding proper invitation wording? I’ve looked around these boards at some samples, but I’m not sure if I’ve put everything together correctly. I don't want to break any etiquette rules.

Information: A very large chunk of the wedding is being funded by my parents, but the groom’s parents, and the two of us are also contributing. My parents have stated that they would prefer something simpler that didn’t spell out all of our names, but rather went the “together with their families” route. Also, we are not getting married in a place of worship.

Doing research on invitations, I’ve found out that it is against etiquette for the bride and groom to request the guests’ presence, and if they’re hosting the invitation has to be written in third person. However, the websites I’ve researched has them inviting guests when the “together with their families” is added. This confuses me slightly. Could someone please explain this as well as let me know what I should change here?

Thank you in advance! :)

Together with their families

BRIDEFIRST BRIDELAST

and

GROOMFIRST GROOMLAST

(or should the together with their families come after our names?)

Request the pleasure of your company at their wedding

Request the pleasure of your company as they are united in marriage

(Not sure which of these—if any—is more proper)

(please let me know if there is better wording for this)

Saturday, the twenty-seventh of June

two thousand and fifteen

at half past five o’clock in the afternoon

(do I need the dash between twenty-seventh?)

(do I need the o’clock in there? I feel like I do, but I’ve seen it without as well.)

VENUE NAME

VENUE STREET

VENUE TOWN

Reception to follow

I’m not sure what’s supposed to be capitalized (aside from the obvious names, month date, venue title, etc.) and where the commas and periods go. I feel like there should be a ton of commas in here for proper grammar, but no invitations I’ve seen have punctuation, so I would like to double-check this, please.

Re: Invitation Wording Question

• Options
    You're mostly right... A few changes:

BrideFirst BrideMiddle BrideLast
    and
    GroomFirst GroomMiddle GroomLast

request the pleasure of your company 
    at the celebration of their wedding
    at half after five o'clock

Venue Name
    City, State (spelled out)

Reception to follow

You don't need the year. No one is going to think they're getting a wedding invitation in March of 2015 for a wedding that's happening in 2016. If you really want to add it, there's no "and" - it should be "two thousand fifteen".
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Thank you very much for your help, @southernbelle0915.

Makes sense about the year. :)

ETA: I leave the actual venue address for the directions card, correct? I just put the venue name and city, state (well, province for us Canadians)?
  • Options
    I'll add that some people like to frame the invitation or put them in a shadow box, so consider that.  For mementos sake, we included the year. 
  • Options

Thank you very much for your help, @southernbelle0915.

Makes sense about the year. :)

ETA: I leave the actual venue address for the directions card, correct? I just put the venue name and city, state (well, province for us Canadians)?
    As far as I can tell, it's traditional not to include a street address on the invitation proper. In the past, everyone knew where it was and didn't need the street address; in modern times it's most commonly relegated to a web site or enclosure card. In the absence of an enclosure, it's acceptable to include the street address on the invitation proper.

• Options

You're mostly right... A few changes:

BrideFirst BrideMiddle BrideLast
    and
    GroomFirst GroomMiddle GroomLast

request the pleasure of your company 
    at the celebration of their wedding
    at half after five o'clock

Venue Name
    City, State (spelled out)

Reception to follow

You don't need the year. No one is going to think they're getting a wedding invitation in March of 2015 for a wedding that's happening in 2016. If you really want to add it, there's no "and" - it should be "two thousand fifteen".
    I wouldn't use "celebration" because it's confusing if you are invited the actual wedding. I think "as they are united in marriage" is fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards