Destination Weddings Discussions

Intimate Destination Wedding - Announcement Etiquette? Celebration Invite Timing?

Hi All, 

New to the boards. My FI and I (recently engaged) have decided on an intimate family only wedding in CA. We know that we want to have an at home celebration though. 

Have any of you all done this? Can you advise on the timing and etiquette of announcements and the celebration invitations? Should these be one and the same? Go out directly following the ceremony or shortly before? 

Our ceremony will be on June 27th and we have not set a date for the at home party. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions :) 

Re: Intimate Destination Wedding - Announcement Etiquette? Celebration Invite Timing?

• Welcome!

Typically, wedding announcements are sent immediately following the wedding. So, the day after would suffice. 

You can plan your AHR whenever you'd like, but typically it's considered prudent to start planning it after the wedding, just in case there is an issue and you don't marry as planned. The invites for the AHR are usually sent out on the same timeline as you would for a wedding- 6-8 weeks prior to the event. If you want to have your AHR within 6-8  weeks of your wedding, then you can include the invitiation with the announcement. It will look something like this (but with more details and correct info):

John Doe

and 

Jane Doe

annoucement their marriage

June 27, 2015

Somewhere, CA

Please join us for a celebration of our marriage

Place

Date/Time

• My sister did a small destination wedding with just close family and then a month and a half later had her at home celebration dinner with close to 200 people.  I personally think it is a ton of work to have a celebration AFTER your wedding that I would honestly just skip it or make the destination wedding larger.  When she came home from her wedding she immediately had to start getting stuff ready for her at home celebration and it really exhausted her.  Most people want to just get married then relax not have to plan an entire party celebrating that marriage.  I would save your time and effort and just get married then send out marriage announcements to everyone else.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We printed up and address our wedding announcements prior to our DW. We brought them with us and since our wedding was on a Sunday, we dropped them in the mailbox Saturday evening (after last pickup). So they went out on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards