Getting in Shape

Starting to freak out

Okay so my wedding is two months away…..I kept putting off the diet and exercise since I was still in a celebration mode and now I am so scared that I am going to hate the way I look in my wedding pictures. I am walking 15,000 steps a day with my fitbit and trying to track as much as I can on MFP.  Trying to lose at least ten-fifteen pounds and tone up….first dress fitting is this week.  YIKES! Would love to hear how you are keeping in shape…...

Re: Starting to freak out

• Are you doing anything more then just walking?

10-15 pounds in 2 months is kind of a lot.  You will need to lose about 2 pounds per week to do this.

I think your best bet at this point is to 1) accept your body, 2) amp up your cardio because walking is not going to cut it, and 3) sign up for a BodyPump type of class because the only way you will tone up is by lifting weights.

Also, really take a look at your salt intake.  Cut back on your carbs a bit.  Don't eliminate them completely unless you want to really become a BSC bride.  Drink lots of water and get some decent sleep.

But really, changing your body and losing weight takes time.  So start working on it now, but don't obsess over what you want to lose in 2 months because the reality is that probably won't happen.  So focus on eating healthy and adding in some extra exercise and learning to be happy with however you look on your wedding day.

• Ditto to everything Maggie said.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 15 pounds in 2 months is a lot, and really leaves no room for error.  And even if youare perfect with your diet and exercise, there's no guarantee that you will lose 15 pounds in 2 months.

Learn to love the body you have in the dress you picked, I'm sure you will look awesome!

• As the other ladies said, that is an ambitious amount of weight to lose in two months.

That said, your diet is going to get you there at this point, not your exercise (and "toning up" ie strengthening your muscles isn't going to have the effect you want if there is still fat on top of those muscles. You can't spot reduce.) Exercise is going to help you burn a few more calories but unless you're doing hard cardio for six hours a day, it won't be nearly enough to be losing two pounds a week unless you are morbidly obese.

If you seriously want to try to make a noticeable difference in two months, you need to figure out your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)/maintenance calories and cut 1000/day from those in order to lose two pounds a week, or 500/day to lose one pound. Depending on your TDEE, the two pound number might be unrealistic (like, if your TDEE is 2000, you can't safely cut to 1000/day as that's not enough for your body's needs from a health perspective. An adult woman really shouldn't be dropping much below 1200 unless she's medically supervised.) Here is a calculator to help you figure out your TDEE. And if you want it to work, you'll have to be super accurate with that counting as well - weighing and measuring absolutely everything you put in your mouth, including liquids and cooking oils.

The point I'm trying to make with this is that with such a short time frame, you'd have to be very disciplined and very accurate. No time for "lifestyle changes" that might cut a few hundred calories a week, you pretty much have to treat it like a math equation. And, quite frankly, it sucks. It's hard, it's a pain in the butt, and you can't say "oh, I'll go out for dinner and splurge just this once". No room for cheating. It's lame, and it's not sustainable for most people.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much!!  Yes I am definitely doing more than walking…haha…i would have to walk a lot in order to get where I want to be )  That's just a daily goal for me on top of going to the gym six days a week. I am mixing up my workout by doing cardio and strength training.  I am also going to a cardio blast class twice a week on top of that. I am cutting out carbs as much as possible and curbing my drinking during the week……I am only really planning on cheating at my shower and bachelorette.  Its not really about the number on the scale to be honest, I just don't want to look back at my wedding photos and cringe. Appreciate your words and advice!  Its like all of a sudden my wedding is coming up so quick….i don't know where the time went!!  
  • Just as long as you know that realistically, that isn't going to make the difference you're looking for in this time frame. Not trying to be rude, just wanting to impress upon you that the fitness stuff isn't actually that effective in a short time frame. With that routine, you'll see big changes this time next year, but it's your diet that is going to make a much bigger impact with only a couple months. Most people don't realize this and end up killing themselves at the gym and not seeing the results they want. That old saying about abs (muscles in general) being made in the kitchen is 100% true.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have the stamina, I'd suggest doing Insanity. It's a two month program.  If you stick to the program and eat a healthy diet you will see results! 

• You can do it! When I went to pick up my dress in October, it wouldn't button up (it's a corset) or better yet it wouldn't fit over my hips! I cried. I had gained 20 pounds from when I got fitted and bought my dress in July of last year. I knew I had to start making changes. I dieted and exercised, but not hardcore, and when I tried my dress on in December, it still fit the same! I refused to have it altered (stubborn I know), but believe it or not, I lost the 20lbs by my wedding in February. I cut out all carbs, sweets, and alcohol. It was hard, because I LOVE my wine. I worked out at least 5 days a week and if I skipped a day, I would do two a days the next day. At least an hour of HIIT cardio, intervals are key to burning fat! I would also incorporate weights, squats, and deadlifts..deadlifts are my favorite. It just really takes a lot of dedication and hard work. So really, it just depends on how hard are you willing to work for it. 10-15 pounds can be done in two months. But it won't be fun. 
  • Diet is really going to mean so much here. Try to stay away from processed foods. Track all of your calories on My Fitness Pal. Try doing HIIT cardio as well. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards