Snarky Brides

OK here's a really annoying one for you

I saw this today and thought you guys would appreciate. Did not go to me, thankfully, I only know them in passing but my friend is friends with them and showed it to me asking for advice what she should get them for their wedding (she is way too good for this rude world out there, my friend). 
So... the email is sent to all guests and is supposed to be a bunch of bulletpoint-style practical infos around the 'wedding weekend', logistics and such. At the end of the email, they have a bulletpoint named "presents"...it reads something like this: "many of you have asked us what we would like for presents - we live together and already own everything we need blablablabla, buuuuut here's a link to our registry (a furniture store). OK.... I mean, not really necessary but whatever. But, it continues something like "or, how about helping us with our honeymoon" and then a honey fund link. Thats right. The next link (yes, it keeps going) is to some account they set up with a major airline where you can contribute to their honeymoon tickets (what now?!) and then another link with something similar with a major hotel chain (are you kidding me?). The cherry on top is that they finish that paragraph (that they started with how they don't need anything) by saying oh last but not least we also need cash for an immigration lawyer. With some tasteless joke about how he needs help importing her or something. I. JUST. CAN'T. 
- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 

Re: OK here's a really annoying one for you

• It just keeps getting worse...
  • mj8215 said:

I saw this today and thought you guys would appreciate. Did not go to me, thankfully, I only know them in passing but my friend is friends with them and showed it to me asking for advice what she should get them for their wedding (she is way too good for this rude world out there, my friend). 

So... the email is sent to all guests and is supposed to be a bunch of bulletpoint-style practical infos around the 'wedding weekend', logistics and such. At the end of the email, they have a bulletpoint named "presents"...it reads something like this: "many of you have asked us what we would like for presents - we live together and already own everything we need blablablabla, buuuuut here's a link to our registry (a furniture store). OK.... I mean, not really necessary but whatever. But, it continues something like "or, how about helping us with our honeymoon" and then a honey fund link. Thats right. The next link (yes, it keeps going) is to some account they set up with a major airline where you can contribute to their honeymoon tickets (what now?!) and then another link with something similar with a major hotel chain (are you kidding me?). The cherry on top is that they finish that paragraph (that they started with how they don't need anything) by saying oh last but not least we also need cash for an immigration lawyer. With some tasteless joke about how he needs help importing her or something. I. JUST. CAN'T. 

• edited March 2015
    Hmmm, makes me wonder if they sent out a "logistics" email to basically guide gift giving. They threw in a few locations and times to make it look like they were providing actual info but BY THE WAY....give us money!!!!

Etf auto correct on mobile is a beast this a.m.
    *********************************************************************************

• Why are people like this? 

I really think the culture of email/texting/snapchatting/etc. has completely eliminated the notion of writing something, sitting with it for a minute, then going back to it to see if it is really what you want to put out into the world. I like to believe that a normal person would, after reflection, realize that a paragraph that begins "we don't need anything; don't get us anything" but works its way around to "here's all the things we want!" is of course rude, but also just bad writing. You are contradicting yourself!

I also like to believe that a person who wrote a paragraph like that might, upon further reflection, realize that it's a pretty unnecessary paragraph to write in the first place. It's the "further reflection" that's missing, right? It's not that we're a society full of selfish, rude assholes who genuinely don't care how tacky they are? 

Even when the SS get all defensive about their honeyfunds or whatever, I really believe that they're compensating for being wrong and "doubling down" on their decision, rather than actually defending it out of an earnest place of believing it's actually okay. But maybe I'm wrong, and people really are as shitty as their words and actions imply. Maybe it's time for me to start believing them when they tell me how terrible they are. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Ugh I know. All very true. What gets me is that this behavior seems to become increasingly acceptable.... i.e. even people who would not do this themselves seem to shrug this off with "oh I'm sure they didn't mean to be rude". My friend who showed this to me for example reacted this way. 
    Oh well! Moving on. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards