Chit Chat
Options

Are menus a big deal?

2»

Re: Are menus a big deal?

• Options
    We had a cocktail style buffet (so a lot of options) and I believe the restaurant put the little signs in front of everything. 

Usually when I get an invitation with menu options, I go to the venue's website and see if the menus are listed online to figure out more than just "beef" or "chicken". I LOVE food and I want to make sure I'm getting the best option. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I've only been to one wedding that had a printed menu on each table. The bride was Chinese and the groom was Italian. They were having a traditional Chinese 10 course dinner with Italian goodies for dessert. Since a lot of the guest list wasn't Chinese they included a list of the courses in a frame on each table, which I appreciated.

Our guests needed to send their meal choice with the RSVP. On the wedding website I included info like "the beef option is prime rib and will be cooked medium" because I know a lot of my family would normally pick beef but wouldn't be thrilled with it cooked medium instead of well done. I didn't have menus at the reception

Anniversary
  • Options
    I was going to print menus on the belly band that went around the napkins, but I couldn't figure out a good way to structure it so I scrapped it and just did entwined hearts.
    Anniversary

• Options

I've only been to one wedding that had a printed menu on each table. The bride was Chinese and the groom was Italian. They were having a traditional Chinese 10 course dinner with Italian goodies for dessert. Since a lot of the guest list wasn't Chinese they included a list of the courses in a frame on each table, which I appreciated.

Our guests needed to send their meal choice with the RSVP. On the wedding website I included info like "the beef option is prime rib and will be cooked medium" because I know a lot of my family would normally pick beef but wouldn't be thrilled with it cooked medium instead of well done. I didn't have menus at the reception
    I had it on my website, and an insert in with the invitations that listed out the full details of the meal. Anyone with allergies or aversions just wrote down a request and the chefs accommodated from there. No lemon butter on the fish for dairy-free friend, no sauce on the chicken for mushroom-hating BIL.

• Options
    I'm doing the same as some PP's, the menu is listed on my website. Our guests are RSVPing with their meal choices, so I wanted a way for them to look at more detailed descriptions than "Chicken" and "Beef". My MOH (who has some stuff she doesn't eat) was asking what exactly was in the Chicken meal, so I figured it was an easier way to answer those types of questions.

I also think it's something I would like if I were looking at websites. I've never been to a wedding where there were menus on the tables. But I have been to at least one wedding where I might have changed my answer if I knew the "Chicken" was Chicken Cordon Bleu (which is generally too rich for me). 
  • Options
    We had a duet plate of filet of beef and crab-cakes.    We knew in advance known allergies/likes. Some people got 2 beef others got 2 crab-cakes.    We had a veggie option.  No one picked it.  

I didn't do a menu.  However, my venue did.  They printed up and everything.  I didn't care, I just wasn't going to do it myself.

My SIL had a menu.  She had to as there were 7 different entrees you can order table-side.

I fell like menus are helpful.  Let's face it there are a lot of allergies, intolerance and just plain picky people out there.   I just think one at every setting is over kill if you are not doing table-side ordering.   I feel like 2 on a table will be okay.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

we're having little menus printed for each table because it is included in our package.

That being said, as a person with a seafood allergy, if I am RSVP-ing to any event, I always include on my card that I'm allergic to seafood because I don't want to be that person dying from accidental ingestion and ruining the wedding, you know?

I smell a SS thread! "OMG my wedding was RUINED by my inconsiderate friend who went and DIED at our reception! I want to send her bereaved family a mean letter and I need advice on how to word it politely!"
    Haha "OMG this bitch stole my thunder by going into anaphylaxis shock and dying! How DARE she!"
  • Options
    levioosa said:

Except for allergies, I don't think it matters that much.  I just like seeing the menu because I love food. 

I'm right there with you, @levioosa! I LOVE when there are menus at weddings but only because I can't wait to eat at a wedding and enjoy seeing a full description of everything I'm about to shovel in my mouth. That being said, definitely not required!!
  • Options
    I did one menu per table because like you, I just didn't think it made a lot of sense. In our invites we have a line for people to list thier dietary restrictions and made the appropriate accommodations for our vegetarians, vegans, allergies, and Celiacs, but even then, we did not list out what all the accomodation meals were. I basically did menus because my parents insisted on them, and it wasn't a hill I was willing to die on.
  • Options
    Our food will be BBQ buffet style, so certainly no menus.  I think I'm going to put something on our website that will give an idea of the menu though, mainly because I'm a food person and like to know what's being served ahead of time.  I also might put a "Food Restrictions?" line on my RSVP card just in case there are some I don't know about so I can plan ahead.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

My friend is being purposely vague about her food options because her FILs are really weird about food. They don't eat anything "fancy". So they will eat pork in a sauce, but if you tell them the sauce is a red wine demi-glaze, they turn their noses up at it for being too "fancy".

Also don't tell them that the cheesy mashed potatoes contain any kind of cheese that isn't cheddar.

Oh man that's just annoying. 

That kind of shit makes me hesitant to put anything on my website-- even though I think it might be a good idea to do so after reading some of these replies. 

I have 2 cousins who are strict vegetarians, so I made dinner one night at one of our big 4th of July family reunion things. With all the people there and how many days we all stay, it costs a ton to make a meal. I put a ton of thought and planning into it. Ended up doing taco night with beef, chicken, black beans, every kind of veggie you could put on a taco, multiple kinds of cheese, etc etc etc etc. I put SO MUCH EFFORT into making sure there were tons of vegetarian things to eat. Well, the reried beans I got may have animal fat in them, and since they couldn't eat that ONE thing-- even though there were a million other things for them to eat-- they threw a huge tantrum, made me feel like an asshole, and refused to eat ANY of the stuff I made. They left and got veggie burgers and made a huge fucking deal about it. 

So I can totally see my cousins giving me a call and being all "hey that vegetarian option on your menu and the roasted veggies and salad and all the vegetarian apps are really pissing us off. Because we noticed that the beef is not vegetarian. And that sucks. We won't eat any of that." 

Fuckers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards