Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake and Cake Toppers

How much did everyone set aside and/or pay for their wedding cake & groom's cake? I'm thinking around $700-$1000 for the fact that I'm not sure which baker I'm using. Also, what is an average price to pay for a cake topper? I've seen some as little as $15 but some are $100+. 

Re: Cake and Cake Toppers

• Cake prices vary completely depending on location, number of guests, level of detail, etc. We paid $700 for a completely custom cake with two gourmet flavors that was big enough for up to 120 guests plus an additional $300 for a custom groom's cake. Both of our cakes had a lot of unique detail, so we paid more for the design than anything.

As for toppers, we ordered ours custom off Etsy, so it was only about $20.
  • plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

I ordered a custom one from Etsy too and I paid $30 with shipping and everything.

ETA:  We are just doing a wedding cake, no grooms cake.

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

Our cake topper was actually a toy given to us by my MIL (she didn't know we'd use them as cake toppers when she gave them to us!). So it was $0 out of my pocket!

If we hadn't have recieved those, I would have purchased a cake topper from Etsy for around $120.

ETA: I asked DH, and our cake (two layers), was about $400. We only had 7 people, and the cake probably could have fed 15-20.

• edited March 2015
    We didn't purchase a cake topper - I let the cake design speak for itself. 

Our cake was $400 and fed 50 people. We didn't do a Groom's cake since DH has a dairy allergy. 
  • Budgeting - figure in the $5-7 range per guest to give you something to work with depending on where you are in the countryside... Remember to budget an extra $50 for delivery/setup... 

As for the topper - if you hit the clearance aisle, you can sometimes get them for $5...  Really though - decide on a design first and go from there.  Ebay! is usually the cheapest route...

• Thank you everyone for all of your help! 
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I haven't ordered mine yet, but the quote for a 2 tier cutting cake, chocolate, one with cream cheese filling and the other with raspberry, a half sheet cake, chocolate with a "cookies and cream" type filling, and a ton of desserts for a dessert bar, was around $450.  My cake will be simple on the outside, in buttercream.  Also the dessert bar is far cheaper than cake... the cake is $5-5.50 per person, whereas most of the individual desserts are .50-$2 a piece.   

ETA: probably not doing a cake topper.  Also I chose a highly rated bakery that was located close to the venue on purpose, so we saved a ton on delivery charges.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I was surprised to see how much cake toppers were! I have been looking on etsy and found a good variety for around 40 dollars. I think cake all depends on your location and how many people. I heard a good rule of thumb is $4 per person.
  • Our cake was included with our venue booking, so no idea how much it really way. For the topper I spent about $30.00. You can spend a fortune on them, but my advise would be, if it's something you'll put in a box & never look at again, how much do you want to spend on that? Compared to if it's something you can display on a shelf, then it's worth spending more on it because you'll always look at it. I found a cute statue of a couple for about $30.00 and we are actually able to display on our mantel. It went great with our style and we love it. It is officially a cake topper, but it doesn't look like it unless it's on top of the cake.  http://www.treehousegiftandhome.com/prcato.html?productid=prcato&channelid=FROOG
  • Erikan73 said:

Our cake was included with our venue booking, so no idea how much it really way. For the topper I spent about $30.00. You can spend a fortune on them, but my advise would be, if it's something you'll put in a box & never look at again, how much do you want to spend on that? Compared to if it's something you can display on a shelf, then it's worth spending more on it because you'll always look at it. I found a cute statue of a couple for about $30.00 and we are actually able to display on our mantel. It went great with our style and we love it. It is officially a cake topper, but it doesn't look like it unless it's on top of the cake.  http://www.treehousegiftandhome.com/prcato.html?productid=prcato&channelid=FROOG

I've been thinking about purchasing this cake topper. Did you buy it from the website you listed here? Were they easy to work with?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards