Wedding Reception Forum

Timeline Help?

Hey knotties,

My FI and I are working on the timeline for our wedding reception next month. Could someone please take a look at this and tell me if it looks OK or needs some adjustment? Thank you!

(Note: We are doing photos/first look beforehand, and no formal announcement-type introductions, and no cake cutting; we're just having cupcakes and people will just be able to grab them.)

Mostly, I'm not sure what to expect w/r/t toasts, spotlight dances, etc. I want it to flow and also would prefer people enjoy their time and socializing, rather than having to watch us all the time.

1-1:30p -- ceremony
1:30-1:45p -- yichud (Jewish wedding; couple goes into seclusion briefly after ceremony)
1:30-2:30p  -- cocktail hour (FI and I will arrive around 1:45p)
2:30p -- reception starts
2:30-2:40p -- first dance (3 min.); then open dance floor for 2 more (short) songs
2:40-2:45p -- motzi (blessing) (this will really take like 1 minute)
2:45p -- buffet opens
3:30-3:45-ish? -- toasts (one or two dads; MOH, best man; all will keep it brief)
3:45p -- dad/daughter & mom/son dance (done during same song), 3 min.
3:48 or whatever -- open dance floor
5:20p -- shuttle bus: 1st pickup at venue for those who want to leave earlier
6p -- shuttle bus: 2nd and final pickup at venue

(Note: My FI is sitting next to me and just said, "God, we should have just eloped." Well, yes.)

Re: Timeline Help?

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Why do 2 songs after the first dance? Just move on into the blessing and open the buffet after your first dance. The spotlight dances will open the dance floor after everyone is done eating.
  • Overall I think it's nice.

Would it make more sense to just do all the dances at once - so the parent/kid dance then your first dance?

I know you don't want to do a cake cutting, but you might want to have some announcement that people can take cupcakes. Personally, I wouldn't touch dessert until I saw a cake cutting or was told to go ahead.
    *********************************************************************************

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

Overall I think it's nice.

Would it make more sense to just do all the dances at once - so the parent/kid dance then your first dance?

I know you don't want to do a cake cutting, but you might want to have some announcement that people can take cupcakes. Personally, I wouldn't touch dessert until I saw a cake cutting or was told to go ahead.

This, especially the bolded.  H and I were not going to cut anything since we had cupcakes.  But someone came up to us and asked if they could grab a cupcake because they were afraid to touch anything if we were going to do a cutting.  So H and I ran over and did a quick cut of the top cake and everyone happily started grabbing cupcakes.  So either an announcement or a quick cut from you and your FI is pretty much needed so that people will feel comfortable grabbing some dessert.

• I agree that the 2 open songs on the dance floor before eating doesn't make a lot of sense. Is there a specific reason you want to do those two songs then? 

I would also do something to get people to start grabbing cupcakes. Either do a quick cutting, an announcement, or have them put on plates and put out. 
  • Thanks for your help, everyone! Our caterer had actually suggested quickly "opening up the dance floor" before eating to get everyone in a celebratory mood. We are definitely not at all attached to that idea at all, though.

Should we still do our couples dance at the beginning of the reception, or have both after dinner?
  • Also, thanks for the suggestion on the cupcakes announcement! Hadn't thought about that. We'll make sure our DJ does this.
  • Thanks, MandyMost! I thought it was kind of weird too, but our caterer was so strongly encouraging it. We will take your suggestions. Thanks!
    MandyMost said:

Thanks for your help, everyone! Our caterer had actually suggested quickly "opening up the dance floor" before eating to get everyone in a celebratory mood. We are definitely not at all attached to that idea at all, though.

Should we still do our couples dance at the beginning of the reception, or have both after dinner?

I've been to weddings like this. Personally, I feel like dancing before dinner is a bit awkward...I don't want to get in a big riled up party mood...and then sit down for dinner. 

If I were you I'd do your first dance after dinner,immediately followed by the other spotlight dance, and then the dance floor is open. In my opinion the event just flows better if it's a clear cut of 1. ceremony. 2. eating. 3. dancing. 

That's the way we did it. No introductions, we joined our guests at cocktail hour, and then took our seats for dinner in the reception with everyone else. I loved it. We did have a quick "welcome toast" before dinner started by our parents, and then had two toasts in between the first course and entree. 

• Agreed, don't split up the dances. The whole social tradition of the bride and groom having the first dance is that they're opening the dance floor. It's a signal to the guests that dance time is here. 
    I think it's odd to open the dance floor, stop for dinner, re-open the dance floor. 
  • Agreed, don't split up the dances. The whole social tradition of the bride and groom having the first dance is that they're opening the dance floor. It's a signal to the guests that dance time is here. 

I think it's odd to open the dance floor, stop for dinner, re-open the dance floor. 
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards