Favors

Homemade cookies?

Silverelf2015Silverelf2015 member
5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2015 in Favors
My fiance and I had this idea about making homemade sugar cookies as favors. They would be in the shapes of stars and leaves (with blue or green sugar, respectively) to go with our LOTR theme. We would tie them in little bags with silver stars on them with a little card attached. Each guest would get a leaf and a star. 

Is this weird? We wanted to do something outside the box, but my concern is that it would make us look cheap or something, which is not the idea. We just want to do something very personalized, and DIY is about the best way to make the details entirely your own and not the same-old tired stuff. 

Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

Re: Homemade cookies?

• I don't care what shape the cookies are. Favors I can eat and don't stay around my house and are TASTY... +1 from me.

• Cookies are good. I like it. 
  • I want those cookies.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Nobody will complain about receiving cookies. Yum!!

But YOU might not want to take this on in the days before your wedding. For them to be fresh, you'd want to bake them the day or so before or so. Personally, I wouldn't be baking, decorating, and making favor bags in the day(s) before my wedding. There will be other last minute stuff you'll need to take care of.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yum but who has time for that?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great idea, but I echo PPs concerns about having the time.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • This is true, about the time thing. What was I thinking?! Still it seems like many would like cookies as favors. I'll look into getting them done some other way, perhaps. :)  

That said, we only need to make 30 leaves and 30 stars (There are 30 guests, and each would get 1 leaf and 1 star). So five dozen, hmm, maybe we could get that done the morning of the day before. I'll run it by him since this would be a 'together' project. 

The other idea would be to not make cookies but make ornaments of some sort, so we could do them months ahead of time and not have to worry about baking before the big day. 
  • Another option that would save you some time would be to make the dough the weekend before the wedding and freeze it. Dethaw it Thursday, bake Friday morning without messing up your kitchen too much. And 60 cookies isn't too bad. Sugar cookies only need 10 min or so in the oven and you'd only have 5 batches (12/ea).

I would tell you to skip favors before giving people ornaments. Not to sound harsh but nobody wants an ornament from your wedding. I've received these before and they've all made their way to the trash - sorry to say.
    *********************************************************************************

• Most sugar cookie recipes can be rolled out and cut ahead of time and then stored in the freezer between sheets of wax paper in a ziplock bag. Then you'd only need to bake & decorate (though please do keep in mind that this will still take a while).
  • Cookies FTW!
  • Another option that would save you some time would be to make the dough the weekend before the wedding and freeze it. Dethaw it Thursday, bake Friday morning without messing up your kitchen too much. And 60 cookies isn't too bad. Sugar cookies only need 10 min or so in the oven and you'd only have 5 batches (12/ea).

I would tell you to skip favors before giving people ornaments. Not to sound harsh but nobody wants an ornament from your wedding. I've received these before and they've all made their way to the trash - sorry to say.
    We baked a test batch of sugar cookies really early, and did a test drive by freezing them, and eating a couple a week to determine maximum freezer time. Three weeks out, they tasted as good as the day after baking. 
    And I'm a picky cookie bitch. Actually, I'm a picky food bitch. I won't eat anything even vaguely stale or freezer scented. 
    But old fashioned sugar cookies freeze beautifully. 
    The key is really keeping them absolutely air tight. Like overkill.  Not just individually bagged, but tndividually bagged, then in Tupperware containers, which were then triple wrapped in Saran Wrap so that not single breath of freezer air or moisture snuck in. 
  • Cookies FTW!

I will stick to cookies :) We'll just need to have fun experimenting ahead of time!
  • Especially if you're just using sugar and not icing, you can totally freeze them.

I did rolled out TARDIS, and 8 bit heart cookies ( and a crap ton of other cookies) and froze them before hand. Since I was married in May, we pulled them out of the freezer the day of.

Anniversary
  • Yumm, cookies
  • Sounds like a fun delicious together project!!!
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I made the favors for my wedding - I had the boxes assembled and lined , ribbon cut, tags fully assembled ahead of time and was able to make the candy a couple batches at a time over a couple of days and day before easily packaged it together.  As long as you test it out and have a plan, I think sugar cookies would be relatively easy to make in the days prior.
  • chibiyui said:

Especially if you're just using sugar and not icing, you can totally freeze them.

I did rolled out TARDIS, and 8 bit heart cookies ( and a crap ton of other cookies) and froze them before hand. Since I was married in May, we pulled them out of the freezer the day of.

I wouldn't freeze buttercream, but royal icing froze and thawed perfectly. Same thing- pulled them out of the freezer morning of. 

Cookies are my favorite thing in the world. 
  • I think this is a good idea and personalized to your theme.
  • Check out the blog Bake at 350  (I think that is the name) - if you're looking for decorated sugar cookies with the hard icing that makes it all pretty this is the place.  The sugar cookie recipe is great, when I make them for Christmas I bake them 2-3 weeks ahead and keep them stored in an airtight container.  You can decorate them early too and once they are iced with the royal icing they stay fresh too.  When we have them for Christmas they taste fresh even though it's been 3+ weeks since they were first made.  highly recommend doing it this way.
  • A LOTR wedding with cookie favors? Are we having the same wedding? FI, IS THAT YOU?image

I echo PPs: do as much as you can beforehand. Definitely assemble the non-edible elements way before the edible ones; you don't want to bake the cookies and have them all ready to go in the bags but then realize you have to hole-punch hundreds of cards. Just my $.02.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Yumm, cookies. I like the idea because it goes with your LOTR theme without screaming LOTR either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards