Chit Chat

House/door paint opinions needed!

sarawifenowsarawifenow member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited March 2015 in Chit Chat

So I mentioned earlier that H and I bought our first house! It is definitely a fixer-upper, but we are so excited to get going on it and are looking forward to making it into a home.

We are painting the outside of the house as well as the door and H and I are having a difference in opinion on color schemes. I am wanting to do a gray and red combo with white trim like this:

H is more into green with tan trim and a traditional door. Something like this:

Any suggestions on how to merge the two? Any opinions on which you like better?

Side note: the siding is like the house in the second picture. Not sure if this makes a difference. There is also a red brick fire place like in the first picture.

Edit: I put the wrong picture at first.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: House/door paint opinions needed!

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Does your landscaping have lots of color or mostly green?
  • @mlg78--Like I said, it is a real fixer upper. Right now it just has a big maple tree in the yard. We can literally do anything (within financial reason) that we want to the landscaping.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Ack! You just changed the grey/red house, didn't you?  I liked the first example more so than the one you just posted. The red wasn't quite as...well...red.  It was a bit more subdued.  I like them both but I think I'd lean more towards the earthy tones.
  • What is the neighborhood like?  You will want to (within reason) work with colors that will complement your neighbors so it all looks like part of the neighborhood.  

Also keep in mind the style of the house as you pick colors.  If your house has a Craftsman style feel you will want to go with more earth tones.  If it is a 1950s style ranch you can go a little more contemporary with the color scheme.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • To be honest, I like a pop of color on the door. Maybe have a bright door and the house be earth tone? So have a bright green door, white/off white/beige on the house and an earthy brown trim? Or a beige house with white trim?

Example of door
    Instant Curb Appeal; bright green front door!
    Example of house color
    Taupe, gray beige or greige, teal turquoise blue shutters and door, beach houses, exterior paint and trim ideas, white adirondack with a red pillow
    hardie board with white trim
    Love the metal, the gray with wood and overhang! Laundry window, overhang and dog door by Moosicorn, via Flickr
    White house, black trim, robin's egg blue door

• I like the gray house, hands down.  I really like the white trim, the black shutters and the red door.  When we get siding in the next couple of years, it's exactly what we're doing.  Gray was our #2 choice for the main color (I think we're doing more of a dark beige).   I love green and thought about it, but opted for a more neutral color.  
  • I like the green with tan trim BUT with a pop of colour on the door. Something like a plum would look awesome on something painted like that exact house you posted, imo.
  • Compromise: green AND red. With the right shades it doesn't look Christmas-y. These are the shades I wanted to use on our house, but it sold before we had the chance to paint it!

• Compromise: green AND red. With the right shades it doesn't look Christmas-y. These are the shades I wanted to use on our house, but it sold before we had the chance to paint it!

So I settled on "plum" up there just for simplicity, but I originally wrote "a non-disgusting version of Pantone's colour of the year, Marsala" - which is totally what you just posted. Love it, it's a great combo!
  • Are you guys all compromised on the interior of the house? And will those decisions affect who gets more of a say about the exterior? 

I think the second picture that Buttercup posted is a good example of muted tones that have a pop of color. There the pop of color is especially in the seasonal items. Maybe that could work? Then you can change up what pop of color you feature year round. :) 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• @mlg78--When I went back to the post, the pic of the gray house said "image coming soon". I posted the wrong one originally. :(

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@AprilH81--The neighborhood is very up and coming. There are a lot of flippers in the area right now, so the houses are constantly changing.

@lolo883--I showed H the red and green and he LOVED it! We might be doing that!

@levieenrose--H has let me take the reins on the interior, so I am trying to let him have his say on the exterior.

• edited June 2015
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I love light colors (gray or white) with black shutters. I think my dream house someday is a white house with a huge wrap-around porch and black shutters. The first example you posted with the gray paint/white trim/red door/black shutters is really cute! I'd totally go with that.

• labro said:

I love light colors (gray or white) with black shutters. I think my dream house someday is a white house with a huge wrap-around porch and black shutters. The first example you posted with the gray paint/white trim/red door/black shutters is really cute! I'd totally go with that.

I love that on Greek Revival/farmhouse styles, but I agree with @pinkrevenge that Craftsman style homes deserve a little more pop.

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I think a beautifully stained wood door is awesome, and fitting with the style of the house if you have a Craftsman.  So, on a stucco style house, I must say I'm with your dude on this one.  

We just finished building our house and we weren't allowed to have gray (the two houses next to us were light gray and dark gray, both with white trim and the HOA said no more gray on our street).  We went with tan and a dark brown trim with the dark stained door.  We also added stained shutters.  Hard to tell door color in this picture because it's pretty much always in the shade, but you can see the shutters.  In hindsight, I also would have stained the wood pillars instead of painting them.  The neighbor did that and it looked great.
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards