Chit Chat

Am I being crazy? (NWR)

Sorry this is so long....

Last fall a hail storm came through and damaged my car.  I waited about a month, put in my insurance claim, got it checked out, got a quote etc etc.  But, when the time came a few months later to get the work done, I didn't have the extra $500 for the deductible to have it fixed.  Fast forward to about a month ago, I found a company that would basically "rebate" me $500, meaning I didn't have to pay anything.  I thought it sounded great, they had decent reviews on yelp.  They're from out of town, but that happens a lot during epic storms... out of town companies come in to do work since the local companies get way too busy.

So, on 2/26 I met them at the rental car place to get the rental, and to give them my car.  I got a call from my insurance on 3/2 letting me know their adjuster met with the shop, got the repairs approved, and that they will just pay the shop directly so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting the check signed off on through my auto loan lender etc.  I was told at that time that the repairs should be done on 3/10.  I got a text on 3/9 from the shop sales rep (I prefer text communication while I'm at work), saying that a part they needed was on backorder, and it may not be ready until 3/11.  That's fine, not a big deal.  

Fast forward past 3/11, no communication at all.  On the morning of 3/13 I called them (as I didn't get a response to my text to the sales rep on 3/12) and spoke to the tech, and he said that the car was done, but my windshield wiper sprayer got broken when they were putting the hood back on.  They ordered the part and it would be ready on Saturday 3/14 for pick up.  I told them I would prefer to pick it up on Monday 3/16 because the shop is near my work, not my home.  He said that was fine.  Fast forward again to Monday.... no response, nothing.  The phone number I had used to call them before was saying "We're sorry, but this number is no longer accepting calls".  I start freaking out a bit, and decide to drive down to the shop.  Nobody is there but there's a different number on the door to call.  I call it, get the tech, he said the phone that the number I had been calling was stolen.  Uh, ok.  I asked him when I could get my car.  He said "the part we needed didn't come in, should be here tomorrow".  Starting to sound like a broken record.

No response from anybody yesterday (when he said it would be ready again).  I got a text from the original number (the one that was supposedly on a phone that was stolen) saying that they're sorry they missed my call, that the tech had a family emergency, and that they'd call me in the morning.  I wrote back saying I wasn't happy, and I wanted to pick up my car today, even if the repair wasn't done.  I also found out last night they've been giving my coworker the same runaround.

I stopped by the shop on my way into work this morning, and the lights were on, but the door was locked.  I was able to peek in through the glass and saw a bunch of cars in there, but not mine, nor my coworkers.  There was a truck parked in the back.  Nobody is answering the phones again.  

So, I'm sort of at a loss as to what I should do... at this point I just want my friggen car back! I call about once an hour in the hopes someone will pick up.  Nothing so far.
Married 9.12.15

Re: Am I being crazy? (NWR)

• Oh my gosh, this is awful! I would definitely be freaking out at this point. 

I don't know if I have any advice other than to keep trying to get in touch with them. I would maybe leave a message and say if I don't hear from you by X day and time I will contact the police. That's all I can really think to do. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Um, wow I can't blame you for freaking out. That doesn't sound good.

I would tell them if you don't hear back from them by 5 pm (or whenever you're off work) that you'll be reporting your car as stolen and contacting the BBB to complain. How does a phone number get stolen anyway? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• When DH hit a deer last year the shop quoted us it would take 2 weeks. It ended up taking closer to 4 weeks. Sometimes shops get backed up and have to wait on parts. However, our shop always called us on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week giving us update son the car. 

If I were you I would keep calling and stop by again. I would threaten them to call the police and contact a lawyer if you don'nt hear from them.

• Sorry this is so long....

Last fall a hail storm came through and damaged my car.  I waited about a month, put in my insurance claim, got it checked out, got a quote etc etc.  But, when the time came a few months later to get the work done, I didn't have the extra $500 for the deductible to have it fixed.  Fast forward to about a month ago, I found a company that would basically "rebate" me $500, meaning I didn't have to pay anything.  I thought it sounded great, they had decent reviews on yelp.  They're from out of town, but that happens a lot during epic storms... out of town companies come in to do work since the local companies get way too busy.

So, on 2/26 I met them at the rental car place to get the rental, and to give them my car.  I got a call from my insurance on 3/2 letting me know their adjuster met with the shop, got the repairs approved, and that they will just pay the shop directly so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting the check signed off on through my auto loan lender etc.  I was told at that time that the repairs should be done on 3/10.  I got a text on 3/9 from the shop sales rep (I prefer text communication while I'm at work), saying that a part they needed was on backorder, and it may not be ready until 3/11.  That's fine, not a big deal.  

Fast forward past 3/11, no communication at all.  On the morning of 3/13 I called them (as I didn't get a response to my text to the sales rep on 3/12) and spoke to the tech, and he said that the car was done, but my windshield wiper sprayer got broken when they were putting the hood back on.  They ordered the part and it would be ready on Saturday 3/14 for pick up.  I told them I would prefer to pick it up on Monday 3/16 because the shop is near my work, not my home.  He said that was fine.  Fast forward again to Monday.... no response, nothing.  The phone number I had used to call them before was saying "We're sorry, but this number is no longer accepting calls".  I start freaking out a bit, and decide to drive down to the shop.  Nobody is there but there's a different number on the door to call.  I call it, get the tech, he said the phone that the number I had been calling was stolen.  Uh, ok.  I asked him when I could get my car.  He said "the part we needed didn't come in, should be here tomorrow".  Starting to sound like a broken record.

No response from anybody yesterday (when he said it would be ready again).  I got a text from the original number (the one that was supposedly on a phone that was stolen) saying that they're sorry they missed my call, that the tech had a family emergency, and that they'd call me in the morning.  I wrote back saying I wasn't happy, and I wanted to pick up my car today, even if the repair wasn't done.  I also found out last night they've been giving my coworker the same runaround.

I stopped by the shop on my way into work this morning, and the lights were on, but the door was locked.  I was able to peek in through the glass and saw a bunch of cars in there, but not mine, nor my coworkers.  There was a truck parked in the back.  Nobody is answering the phones again.  

So, I'm sort of at a loss as to what I should do... at this point I just want my friggen car back! I call about once an hour in the hopes someone will pick up.  Nothing so far.

Boxes****I'D call your insurance company ASAP and see if the paid out the claim and inform them of the above, especially if they paid out the claim already.

• Why is TK the one stop shop for all of life's problems lately? Jesus.

Go back there during business hours and get your damn car. If they're not there or won't give you your car, call the police and report it stolen saying you've made multiple attempts to retrieve and they're preventing you from doing so.
    I have been going there during business hours.  On Monday I was there around 1pm, this morning was shortly before 8.  I'm going to try again this afternoon.  The door is always locked and nobody answers when I knock or call.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I've thought about calling the police non-emergency line just to see what their take on it is....I mean is there really a crime going on so far?  

My coworker is pissed too... they actually left her stranded at Enterprise last night.  She's going out of town for a week so she said she'd turn in the rental car since she didn't need it, but she needed a way to get to the airport.  They told her they could meet her at Enterprise and take her to the airport, but nobody showed up.  She had to find a friend last minute to take her.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • What @classicalandedgy said. This smells fishy. 

Also, in the future, that $500 rebate is most likely insurance fraud. I had a guy tell me he'd do the same thing and I went to another shop. He didn't tell me this outright, but he was going to quote the insurance company high and rebate me the difference. Don't trust companies like this. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Also, in the future, that $500 rebate is most likely insurance fraud. I had a guy tell me he'd do the same thing and I went to another shop. He didn't tell me this outright, but he was going to quote the insurance company high and rebate me the difference. Don't trust companies like this. 
    Yeah in hindsight I'm realizing it's totally fishy.  I wish I never went with this company at all.  It just went really well with them at first, which I guess is probably their game.  FI has even tried calling them, I was thinking maybe they'd respond better to a guy, but he hasn't been able to get them either.
    Married 9.12.15

Yeah in hindsight I'm realizing it's totally fishy.  I wish I never went with this company at all.  It just went really well with them at first, which I guess is probably their game.  FI has even tried calling them, I was thinking maybe they'd respond better to a guy, but he hasn't been able to get them either.
    I'm not trying to be a dick and tell you what you should have done, there's nothing you can do about it now. But definitely call your insurance company first and tell them. After that, I'd go to the police if there's still no contact from the shop. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • scribe95 said:

First, I don't understand this rebate thing that magically let you get your car fixed without you paying out any money. Obviously a scam. Things aren't free in life.

Contact your insurance company and the police.
    I've seen tons of companies advertising it, and another coworkers daughter did it with another company so I thought it was legit.   Even the local company I talked to, who is definitely legit, said that if I referred them 2 people, they'd rebate me the $500.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Honestly, I can't believe you actually brought your car to a place like this. If you have a deductible, it has to be paid. That's it. End of story. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a scammer. 

Call the police. 
  • edited March 2015
    I've thought about calling the police non-emergency line just to see what their take on it is....I mean is there really a crime going on so far?  

My coworker is pissed too... they actually left her stranded at Enterprise last night.  She's going out of town for a week so she said she'd turn in the rental car since she didn't need it, but she needed a way to get to the airport.  They told her they could meet her at Enterprise and take her to the airport, but nobody showed up.  She had to find a friend last minute to take her.  
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ETA: And again with the magic disappearing (ETA again AND REAPPEARING?!) quote boxes. Loving this new update, TK. Just loving it. -.-

...they haven't given you back your car, AND are giving you the runaround about when you WILL get it back, AND another, verifiable person (your coworker) is having similar issues? Yeah, I wouldn't run out and call 911 THIS MINUTE OMG, but I'd be involving law enforcement or something this afternoon.

I mean. I don't want to freak you out. But it could be all sorts of things, honest and/or dishonest, going on in that garage. It could be a legitimate (if crappy) body shop. Or it could be a chop shop. 

I'd be involving authorities and getting legal assistance. Just saying.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • scribe95 said:

First, I don't understand this rebate thing that magically let you get your car fixed without you paying out any money. Obviously a scam. Things aren't free in life.

Contact your insurance company and the police.
    I've seen tons of companies advertising it, and another coworkers daughter did it with another company so I thought it was legit.   Even the local company I talked to, who is definitely legit, said that if I referred them 2 people, they'd rebate me the $500.  
    But even if they do offer rebates, you're not the one paying the bill, you don't get a rebate. That's definitely insurance fraud and again, not trying to scare you, but you could be liable here. 
  • I talked to my insurance yesterday, they called me to ask if I had picked up my car yet, I told them no, and that the shop hasn't been getting back to me.  She said "OK, well, we'll just extend your rental coverage".  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I would definitely call the police non-emergency number at this point. At the very least, they could advise you on what to do next. 
  • You could also call your state's attorney general, they handle stuff like consumer protection and scams so they might want to know about it or might have heard of similar incidents.
  • I would definitely call the police non-emergency number at this point. At the very least, they could advise you on what to do next. 

I would probably do the same. This is definitely sounding sort of fishy to me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatWAG said:

Why is TK the one stop shop for all of life's problems lately? Jesus.

Go back there during business hours and get your damn car. If they're not there or won't give you your car, call the police and report it stolen saying you've made multiple attempts to retrieve and they're preventing you from doing so.
    Did I miss something? I thought the chit chat board was for chit chatting. I didn't know "life problems" were off limits.
    I think vents are fine, but I think she meant it gets annoying sometimes when it's stuff that we can't possibly help with. Like we can't help this girl get her car. When my hotel in Iceland told me they lost the prepaid reservation, I didn't come ask ya'll what to do because you could not have helped me.

• KatWAG said:

Did I miss something? I thought the chit chat board was for chit chatting. I didn't know "life problems" were off limits.
    Just an overwhelming preponderance of questions that don't seem like they should require the Phone a Friend option, that's all. I never said anything was off limits, just wondering why all of a sudden nearly everything is people needing help.

• Sounds like a chop shop to me. I'd contact the police.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    jenna8984 said:

KatWAG said:

I think vents are fine, but I think she meant it gets annoying sometimes when it's stuff that we can't possibly help with. Like we can't help this girl get her car. When my hotel in Iceland told me they lost the prepaid reservation, I didn't come ask ya'll what to do because you could not have helped me.
    I actually wasn't asking for help getting the car.  Clearly y'all can't help me with that.  It was more of a vent, and a "tell me if I'm being crazy for being upset about this" kind of thing.  Sorry if my post didn't articulate that well enough... I'm not a very good writer.

ETA, posting this was actually helpful for me, because I was thinking of calling the police but was also thinking I might be overreacting. My idea wasn't so bad as many of suggested it. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • KatWAG said:

I actually wasn't asking for help getting the car.  Clearly y'all can't help me with that.  It was more of a vent, and a "tell me if I'm being crazy for being upset about this" kind of thing.  Sorry if my post didn't articulate that well enough... I'm not a very good writer.

But how is it even a question?! Yes, you should be very concerned. You took your car to someplace shady and they won't give you your car back! 
  • jenna8984 said:

Not even that... every single person said "yup, this is bad, you should probably call the cops." Kind of an easy problem to solve on one's own. Like you solved your own problem in Iceland using those grown-up problem-solving skills.

• maeday2 said:

KatWAG said:

Just an overwhelming preponderance of questions that don't seem like they should require the Phone a Friend option, that's all. I never said anything was off limits, just wondering why all of a sudden nearly everything is people needing help.
    Except when @MagicInk's wife got stuck under the bed. That was warranted. I hope she's doing better, Magic! 
    Fuck I missed this story?!?!

• jenna8984 said:

KatWAG said:

Obviously you should be upset. But honestly, you should be upset with yourself for choosing this shop. I don't say that in a mean way, but I find it hard to believe they had positive reviews and you and your coworker are the first to be swindled. 

The shop doesn't want to deal with you because something in the milk ain't clean. Go above them. Call the cops. 
  • plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

I've thought about calling the police non-emergency line just to see what their take on it is....I mean is there really a crime going on so far?  

Your first step needs to be calling your insurance company and seeing if they have paid the claim. If they have, then you need to report the incident to the police. And I hate to say this, but if your insurance company has  made payment to them, it sounds like you may have been scammed.

ETA:  If they have NOT paid the repair shop, I would let them know what has happened, and they may be able to hold funds until further notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards