Chit Chat

Gluten Intolerance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

I've seen some people talk about self diagnosed allergies and intolerance to gluten as well as other foods on here, so I thought I'd share the above video.  I have Celiac's and thought it was hilarious. 

Re: Gluten Intolerance

• Hey my FI has celiacs!!! I used to hate those fakers and trend dieters until someone made the point that they made it much easier to eat out and buy groceries. However, people don't always take the allergy seriously because of the fakers. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have Celiac!! It's been a journey, but I'm getting to the place where I can find something like that funny. Not all the way, because it cheapens the real experience and gives people like my cousin fuel to "accidentally" cause people in their restaurant to have a reaction to gluten, but I'm getting there. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I daily have people ask me if our lettuce is gluten free. image

Please tell me you say "yes." I would be tempted to do so if I were you!
  • My best friend has celiacs but oh it drives me bananas when people claim gluten intolerant because it's trendy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh, I do. My boss told me I can ;)

Oh, I do. My boss told me I can ;)
    Your boss sounds awesome, haha
  • Haha! The bit about bodily functions is the best.
    I've heard way too much unsolicited comments from people that I'm not particularly close with: "Well, I'm way less gassy since I stopped eating gluten", or "Wheat makes me sooooooo constipated", or "I used to have to go #2 ten times per day but that's gotten so much better!"

** okay, now I'm off to drink my Paleo Acai berry, kale, coconut water, protein smoothie.

• blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I honestly didn't believe that non-celiac gluten intolerance was a thing until my college roommate started eliminating gluten from his diet. Within a few months his acne cleared up, his insomnia got better, he had fewer panic attacks and wasn't...err...constantly hogging the bathroom anymore.

I read (and I can't remember where, nor can I guarantee it's accuracy) that a new study shows non-celiac gluten sensitivity really isn't a thing, but possibly it's something else in grain products that causes unpleasant symptoms.

ETA missing words. it's too early for me to think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My dad went gluten free for awhile based on advice from his brother (who is not a medical doctor), and claimed he instantly felt better. If he ate something with gluten in it, he would put some powder on top of it to "nullify" the gluten.

Then a few months later I sent him an article about how the whole "gluten sensitivity" thing might be bullshit. I wasn't trying to convince him or anything; more just trying to open up a dialog. He instantly decided from reading this article that he could eat gluten again, and now claims he feels no different when he eats gluten products.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

I honestly didn't believe that non-celiac gluten intolerance was a thing until my college roommate started eliminating gluten from his diet. Within a few months his acne cleared up, his insomnia got better, he had fewer panic attacks and wasn't...err...constantly hogging the bathroom anymore.

I read (and I can't remember where, nor can I guarantee it's accuracy) that a new study shows non-celiac gluten sensitivity really isn't a thing, but possibly it's something else in grain products that causes unpleasant symptoms.

This!
    I was living in Nepal for a long time, my diet switched over to rice and meats and away from grains. When I came back, I didn't think about it and had some serious bodily issues going on. I went to the doctor, blood tests for celiac's came back negative, but my doctor said he strongly feels that people in the US over-eat on gluten products, and that's one of the causes of why people often feel bloated, tired, constipated, etc. 

I changed my diet to minimize wheat products, but I don't avoid oats or other gluten products, and it really has made me feel better. 

I do get mad though, when people go out to eat and ask "does this have gluten? Oh it does? Okay, I'll just get a salad with extra croutons"
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    charlottesmom0626 said: blabla89 said:I honestly didn't believe that non-celiac gluten intolerance was a thing until my college roommate started eliminating gluten from his diet. Within a few months his acne cleared up, his insomnia got better, he had fewer panic attacks and wasn't...err...constantly hogging the bathroom anymore.

This!
    I was living in Nepal for a long time, my diet switched over to rice and meats and away from grains. When I came back, I didn't think about it and had some serious bodily issues going on. I went to the doctor, blood tests for celiac's came back negative, but my doctor said he strongly feels that people in the US over-eat on gluten products, and that's one of the causes of why people often feel bloated, tired, constipated, etc. 

I changed my diet to minimize wheat products, but I don't avoid oats or other gluten products, and it really has made me feel better. 

I do get mad though, when people go out to eat and ask "does this have gluten? Oh it does? Okay, I'll just get a salad with extra croutons"

I think the current theory with this is that's it's not the gluten, but rather a problem with short-chain carbohydrates. The FODMAP diet thing where you eliminate a bunch of foods that qualify for this including lots of gluten-containing things is really beneficial for people with lots of internal issues like Crohns and IBS. But it's not the gluten, but rather an issue with the absorbtion of certain carbohydrates. One of my best friends gets ulcers and stuff and has a ton of digestive issues and she feels way better when she follows the low-FODMAP diet, but she doesn't have a "gluten sensitivity." She orders the gluten-free option frequently in restaurants, though, as it's easier to find something she can eat. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:

blabla89 said:

This!

I think the current theory with this is that's it's not the gluten, but rather a problem with short-chain carbohydrates. The FODMAP diet thing where you eliminate a bunch of foods that qualify for this including lots of gluten-containing things is really beneficial for people with lots of internal issues like Crohns and IBS. But it's not the gluten, but rather an issue with the absorbtion of certain carbohydrates. One of my best friends gets ulcers and stuff and has a ton of digestive issues and she feels way better when she follows the low-FODMAP diet, but she doesn't have a "gluten sensitivity." She orders the gluten-free option frequently in restaurants, though, as it's easier to find something she can eat. 

I've been reading about that!  I thought for a while I had a "gluten sensitivity" because I had severe eczema my entire life, which cleared up completely after I cut gluten out of my diet a few years ago.  It was incredible and improved the quality of my life so much.  And I have noticed that when I add gluten back, I start getting rashes again.  My doctor stepdad was trying to explain this low-FODMAP diet to me based on my weird reactions to gluten after I told him I thought I was gluten allergic or whatever. 

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    If I eat wheat my stomach visibly swells and I get stabbing pains. I don't have celiacs so I have been told by people it's all in my head. Believe me, I would stuff croissants into my face daily if I could.

• mrsdee15mrsdee15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

If I eat wheat my stomach visibly swells and I get stabbing pains. I don't have celiacs so I have been told by people it's all in my head. Believe me, I would stuff croissants into my face daily if I could.

Me too, and it lasts like 3 days.  It's not a gluten allergy or celiac's, but something in it trips out my system.  I keep thinking it's in my head, but if I eat a little I'm in pain and so bloated the next day. 

ETA: I miss croissants too.. especially when stuffed with Swiss cheese and sliced turkey.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsdee15 said:

Me too, and it lasts like 3 days.  It's not a gluten allergy or celiac's, but something in it trips out my system.  I keep thinking it's in my head, but if I eat a little I'm in pain and so bloated the next day. 

ETA: I miss croissants too.. especially when stuffed with Swiss cheese and sliced turkey.
    Me too! I describe those three days as simply "unpleasant" because I will not discuss what happens.

• mrsdee15 said:

Me too! I describe those three days as simply "unpleasant" because I will not discuss what happens.
    That's always my description too.  "Unpleasant" > "Bloated, gassy, and like my intestine is trying to secede." 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Do you tell them no?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Here you go: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/05/15/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-exist/

http://www.gastro.org/journals-publications/gastroenterology/gastro-podcast/gastroenterology-podcast-august-2013

And just this month, the 1st ever GWAS (genome wide association study) was completed on a group of patients who have rosacea and "the study uncovered that the genetic variants, or single nucleotide
    polymorphisms (SNPs), found to be strongly associated with rosacea are
    in or near the HLA-DRA and BTNL2 genes, which are associated with other
    diseases, including diabetes and celiac disease."

Source

This makes sense as they are both basically autoimmune, inflammatory response diseases, but perhaps this discovery could lead to targeted drug therapies.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Do you tell them no?
    Depends on how y day's been thus far.
  • My friend went gluten free because of her thyroid. So I asked her how it's working, if she's gone and gotten her thyroid checked. And she said no because being gluten free fixed it and she's not worried.

Then I remembered she's had diabetes, lactose intolerance, a sun allergy,and asthma. All of which are completely gone now. Magically. Well she's still allergic to the sun. Sometimes. Mostly when it's hot out and she's not wearing sunscreen or drinking water, she gets really red and flushed and sometimes feels sick. The rest of us call this heat stroke. She calls it a sun allergy.

I'm sure the gluten intolerance will pass as well. She's pregnant now so she can focus on made illnesses from that. She's already pretty sure she has hyperemesis because she feel nasues pretty much daily.

I love her, but that child just wants to be sick.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    Ugh, I'm glad that the fad has made so many gluten free options available, but it really bothers me when people don't understand what an actual gluten intolerance is.  *cough* SO's Mom *cough*  I have friends who literally end up in the hospital if they have any cross contamination with gluten.  And you're over there going, "I'm gluten free and am allergic...but wait, look at this pizza!  It looks so good!  I'll just take my probiotic pill and I'll be fine to eat it." 

Noooo....doesn't work that way....

ETF: Words

• It's not an allergy, though. It's an autoimmune reaction.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    MagicInk said:

My friend went gluten free because of her thyroid. So I asked her how it's working, if she's gone and gotten her thyroid checked. And she said no because being gluten free fixed it and she's not worried.

Then I remembered she's had diabetes, lactose intolerance, a sun allergy,and asthma. All of which are completely gone now. Magically. Well she's still allergic to the sun. Sometimes. Mostly when it's hot out and she's not wearing sunscreen or drinking water, she gets really red and flushed and sometimes feels sick. The rest of us call this heat stroke. She calls it a sun allergy.

I'm sure the gluten intolerance will pass as well. She's pregnant now so she can focus on made illnesses from that. She's already pretty sure she has hyperemesis because she feel nasues pretty much daily.

I love her, but that child just wants to be sick.
    I think we know the same person....except she's not pregnant right now.

• It's not an allergy, though. It's an autoimmune reaction.

My bad, I was thinking of SO's Mom when I was typing, pre-coffee. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards