New Jersey

Average DJ cost in NJ

I was looking around for a DJ and was wondering what cost people are paying for one?

Re: Average DJ cost in NJ

• I was looking around for a DJ and was wondering what cost people are paying for one?

This really, really depends on what you want.  I'd say average cost in North Jersey for a typical DJ setup was about $1500-2000.  We are paying significantly more than that so we can have live music at ceremony and cocktail hour, and two DJs (one emcee and one assistant) at the dancing portion of the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Thank you, I am in Central NJ. The one I looked at is a DJ and emcee for the reception was around $2000.
  • the company i am going with starts at like 1900 for dj/mc set up for 4 hours..

we included a few upgrades so we are paying a bit more.. included 4 lights, photo montage, gobo, dancing on clouds, photobooth, ceremony music and percussionist.. which added up lol

• Yes it's safe to say most dj's who specialize with wedding etc....start at $1500-1900 incl. dj and emcee...What I would recommend you do is walk in with a set budget and a good foundation of what you want, this gives you bargaining power....one thing I learned in shopping for a dj is all prices are negotiable.

Some things to consider is lighting...if your venue doesn't provide lighting this is something the dj provides and it can add up quick...and I am referring to uplighting that completely transforms the room etc....also monograms....etc...or if you want a photobooth and the dj does that also you can attempt to work out a package....

But again, I would take a look at all options the dj provides and see if you would want them before going to any meeting or consultation...you don't want to walk in and it turns into..well the price for dj/emcee is this but for $$ more you can get this .... etc...I don't know if im making sense .... lol but I guess im saying walk in with a game plan! LOL

Good luck!

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    We paid about $1k.  DJ (who was emcee as well) for 4 hour reception.  We had live music for the ceremony and cocktail hour, so we saved a little on the DJ.
  • My DJ package includes ceremony, cocktail and reception music as well as a photobooth and it came to $2495.
  • MY DJ starts at $1,800 for just a DJ and emcee for 4 hours.  We added a live pianist at cocktail hour, dancing on the clouds for the first dance, custom monogram on the dancefloor, video montage and premium intelligent lighting and it is $5,250 for everything.
  • My wedding was last year so perhaps prices have increased, but we paid under $2K for DJ, emcee, uplighting, and ceremony/ cocktail hour music (not live music- handled by DJ).

I had no idea we got such a great deal compared to all the prices above!

The company's name is Colorblind Productions and they were fantastic.

• Thanks for the recommendation, majesty318.

My wedding was last year so perhaps prices have increased, but we paid under $2K for DJ, emcee, uplighting, and ceremony/ cocktail hour music (not live music- handled by DJ).

I had no idea we got such a great deal compared to all the prices above!

The company's name is Colorblind Productions and they were fantastic.

• We got a great deal I feel a DJ (includes, cocktail hour and ceremony). emcee, uplighting, photographer for $4100.00. This does not include our album. Since we having at an unusual venue the Entertainment company really wanted to event so worked together and received great pricing!  Also he said there will be a 2nd DJ at no additional charge
  • We are about to pay $2800 for a DJ and MC for 4 hours, not including cocktail hour. We will have two tvs and a Photo Booth. TVs will show engagement pics at first, Photo Booth pics during reception, and same day edit video at the end.
  • We're paying $1500 for dj and mc for 4 hours and the ceremony.
  • Eeeek! Haven't shopped for a DJ yet but way higher than I thought it would be. That is like $500 an hour!  Who gets paid that in the real world? They are just programing music on their laptops and making a few announcements.  Probably the most overpaid per hour vendor of the day.  The photographer is with you  all day then has to photoshop the pictures. The video guy is with you all day then has to edit.
  • A good DJ does way more then program songs into a laptop and make a few announcements. Just saying...if you think that is all they do you have never used or seen a good DJ/emcee.
  • Still think $500 an hour is a lot of money to make no matter how good the DJ is.  If I made that per hour in my job, my annual salary would be $1, 040,00 per year.  You do not pay for schooling to be a DJ.  No certification or license needed. Computer software does the mixing now.  Don't need a place to run your business--you can do it from home.  Start up costs are low. I just think the costs have gotten out of hand. I also cannot stand yappy DJ's.  I want to hear the music.  Not the DJ talking over it all night.

• Still think $500 an hour is a lot of money to make no matter how good the DJ is.  If I made that per hour in my job, my annual salary would be $1, 040,00 per year.  You do not pay for schooling to be a DJ.  No certification or license needed. Computer software does the mixing now.  Don't need a place to run your business--you can do it from home.  Start up costs are low. I just think the costs have gotten out of hand. I also cannot stand yappy DJ's.  I want to hear the music.  Not the DJ talking over it all night.

Well, if you think these DJs are rolling in the money, maybe you should consider getting in the business!  

And really, if all you think they do is program music and that's what you're looking for, you could do that yourself on an ipod.  Certainly not the way I'd go, but it'd save you the money.
  • The cost of the DJ is not $500 an hour. My DJ total is $4100...but only $1800 is for the cost of the DJ and emcee for 4 hours. The additional cost of for the video montage which they are editing and putting together, dancing on the clouds, lighting, live pianist for cocktail hour and a custom monogram for the dance floor. They also do their own mixing and have a very professional office space with a full staff to pay for. I don't know what DJ you know that doesn't have an office and overhead costs but your argument could be made for any vendor. If you don't think it it's worth it, like Joan said, use an iPod and speakers...
  • JUST a DJ with no EMCEE for about 4 hours will cost about $1800-$1900 from most companies in Jersey.

Bundle deals tend to get you more bang for your buck.  And DJs are the one vendor I've found will be best at negotiating with you for add ons, and that's where the bill starts to grow. 

Most overall package deals will run you anywhere from $2500-$4500 for a wedding on a weekend. 

Open houses help because they offer specials and you get to see them perform live!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards