Chit Chat

TMI question

Re: TMI question

• Always have, probably still will at work where the flushing power is on par with a minor typhoon. I didn't realize tampons were that big a deal (they're smaller than poop! But clearly they wouldn't break down in quite the same way...). The more you know.

Lately I've been into the Instead Softcup (kind of like the Diva Cup only one-time use) and that is most definitely not flushable. Way more comfortable, too.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I have nevah evah flushed a tampon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've never flushed either. But I use pads, tampons hurt too much.
  • Like, the box says don't flush them.
    I've also seen pipes bust and seep up through people's yards. Don't make your neighbors literally wade in your shit, people.

I mean, the box says don't sleep with one in, too. I take The Box with a grain of salt.
  • I always have, and I didn't know that you weren't supposed to.  Oops.
  • BrandNewJBrandNewJ member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I only use pads, but I used to flush tampons. If I eventually have a daughter, I will teach her not to though.

Etf
    I've also seen pipes bust and seep up through people's yards. Don't make your neighbors literally wade in your shit, people.

My box doesn't actually say anything about flushing.  It warns about TSS three times on the box, and also there was an insert about it, but nothing about the dangers of flushing!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

I mean, the box says don't sleep with one in, too. I take The Box with a grain of salt.
    I don't ever sleep with one in!  You're such a rebel! ;)

I don't ever sleep with one in!  You're such a rebel! ;)
  • Reasons to flush a tampon:
    1) there is no garbage can
    2) you are to drunk to do life right
    3) you poop it out (it happens, okay?)

That's it. Ever.

Do you fish it out if it falls in? Or can we add that to the list?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:

Reasons to flush a tampon:
    1) there is no garbage can
    2) you are to drunk to do life right
    3) you poop it out (it happens, okay?)

That's it. Ever.

Do you fish it out if it falls in? Or can we add that to the list?
    I mean, I've never had one fall in, except in the aforementioned poo situation. But, sure.
  • Nope the the flushing. 

• ....I honestly never knew you weren't supposed to until we moved into the new house. We were on septic before, too. I just never was told not to.

Frankly, the whole concept of bodily secretions (all of them, not just this) is so disgusting to me that I have the absolute worst time dealing with them now. I have to take them out, wrap them in tissue without touching them, throw them in a grocery bag, tie the bag up so nothing can escape, and take the whole bag out to the big garbage can. All without barfing at any stage in the process. Before, I felt fine just dropping them into the toilet and ignoring them with the rest of my business. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

It does?!
  • Always the tampon, never the applicator.  Unless I'm at a house on septic, then it all goes in the trash. 

It does?!
    Yep. Because of the risk of toxic shock, it says not to use them for more than like 6 hours/overnight. It's overkill, honestly--TSS was a lot more common in the days when they made Super Duper Mad Absorbent Holy Shitballs size tampons (they don't anymore).

It does?!
    Yep. Because of the risk of toxic shock, it says not to use them for more than like 6 hours/overnight. It's overkill, honestly--TSS was a lot more common in the days when they made Super Duper Mad Absorbent Holy Shitballs size tampons (they don't anymore).
    Actually they do...I accidentally bought them once :(

That was the day when I decided I was sick of buying tampons and switched to the diva cup.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• NEVER!!! 
    I grew up with a septic tank, and then just kept that habit. I also try to be as environmentally friendly as possible and always saw this as a big nope.

I always wondered why people would flush them. The first time I saw one of those signs I was like "what!?"

You don't flush pads, or diapers, or other items, right? Or maybe people do...
  • Nope, I never flush them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was always taught not to flush them. I've also spent most of my life in places with ancient plumbing.

I occasionally make exceptions when I'm in a public place with industrial plumbing and there's a disgusting-looking lid on the trash can. Interstate restrooms and the like.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited June 2015
  • MagicInk said:

Why wouldn't you just...throw them in the trash? They are trash...

Right? I honestly don't understand.
  • MagicInk said:

Why wouldn't you just...throw them in the trash? They are trash...

The smell?  What I don't understand though is when people don't wrap them up at all.  I hate sitting down in a public restroom and seeing an open bloody pad or tampon.  Gross. 

• I learned my lesson the hard way when I was 19 and flushed a tampon once because I was in a rush. It backed up the plumbing in my parent's house to where the toilet overflowed and showers couldn't be taken for more than five minutes without flooding the bathroom. (Something about it traveling down and getting lodged in a main pipe)

They had to call an emergency plumber out to take care of it. On Christmas day. The whole family was staying at the house. I hung my head in shame. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • blabla89 said:

Like, the box says don't flush them.

It does?!
    Actually they do...I accidentally bought them once :(

That was the day when I decided I was sick of buying tampons and switched to the diva cup.
    Huh, I learned in school (either sex ed or later in college) that even today's "Super Plus" tampons aren't as intensely absorbent as the ones that caused the most problems back in the day, but I could be misremembering that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards