Chit Chat
Options

TMI question

Re: TMI question

• Options
    blabla89 said:

That was the day when I decided I was sick of buying tampons and switched to the diva cup.

FWIW, this is the thread that made (and re-reading the Jezebel article I posted) finally pushed me over the edge. Just ordered a Diva Cup.

Anniversary
  • Options
    levioosa said:

MagicInk said:

Why wouldn't you just...throw them in the trash? They are trash...

The smell?  What I don't understand though is when people don't wrap them up at all.  I hate sitting down in a public restroom and seeing an open bloody pad or tampon.  Gross. 
    Yeah, two menstruating women live in this house. We both trash our tampons. And unless I shove my head in the trash can...I don't smell anything. I mean it's a small trash can so it's not hanging around for weeks on end but...I really don't smell anything coming from there. 
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I used to when we lived in an apartment. I stopped once we bought our house, and now, every month, I long for the days of not being responsible for our own plumbing, wishing I could go back to flushing them. 
  • Options
    I was always told to trash pads and flush tampons unless the house is on septic or a sign says not to flush them.

My box says to flush it or throw it away. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    levioosa said:

MagicInk said:

Why wouldn't you just...throw them in the trash? They are trash...

The smell?  What I don't understand though is when people don't wrap them up at all.  I hate sitting down in a public restroom and seeing an open bloody pad or tampon.  Gross. 
    I mean, I've never smelled mine...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

Like, the box says don't flush them.
    I've also seen pipes bust and seep up through people's yards. Don't make your neighbors literally wade in your shit, people.

I mean, the box says don't sleep with one in, too. I take The Box with a grain of salt.
    It does?!
    Yep. Because of the risk of toxic shock, it says not to use them for more than like 6 hours/overnight. It's overkill, honestly--TSS was a lot more common in the days when they made Super Duper Mad Absorbent Holy Shitballs size tampons (they don't anymore).

I've also seen pipes bust and seep up through people's yards. Don't make your neighbors literally wade in your shit, people.

I mean, the box says don't sleep with one in, too. I take The Box with a grain of salt.
    It does?!
    Yep. Because of the risk of toxic shock, it says not to use them for more than like 6 hours/overnight. It's overkill, honestly--TSS was a lot more common in the days when they made Super Duper Mad Absorbent Holy Shitballs size tampons (they don't anymore).
    It's rare, but not ridiculous. We had a friend die of TSS in the 90s. She had a four year old and a newborn, and a husband who was absolutely destroyed emotionally that his wife got "the flu" (they thought) and was dead within 24 hours. She was 29.
    It's caused by bacteria. 
    Seriously, when they say don't use tampons for several weeks after childbirth, or abortion or surgery, and don't leave them in for more than six hours, please listen. They don't make this shit up for giggles. Rare doesn't mean impossible. 

Not worth the gamble, even with unlikely odds.
    Holy shit. I am so sorry about your friend.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

Yeah, I can't smell trash tampons, but much like cat shit, get something with a lid.

I have one, but thanks.  As a bonus, my dog has somehow discovered a way to open the closed door and open up the closed trashcan.  Then she loves to spread its contents everywhere.  She especially loves to do this when I'm on my period.  Continually emptying out the trashcan is annoying as hell since I use it about every twenty minutes the first couple days of my period. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

Yeah, I can't smell trash tampons, but much like cat shit, get something with a lid.

I have one, but thanks.  As a bonus, my dog has somehow discovered a way to open the closed door and open up the closed trashcan.  Then she loves to spread its contents everywhere.  She especially loves to do this when I'm on my period.  Continually emptying out the trashcan is annoying as hell since I use it about every twenty minutes the first couple days of my period. 
    I mean, I find emptying my trashcan at all pretty annoying, but that doesn't mean that I can flush all it's contents instead.
  • Options

levioosa said:

I mean, I find emptying my trashcan at all pretty annoying, but that doesn't mean that I can flush all it's contents instead.
    Good for you.  I don't flush "all of the contents."  Just the occasional tampon.  And like I said, it doesn't seem to be an issue in my area. 

• Options
    It had literally never occurred to me that it's bad to flush tampons. I do, every single time. Although I can't remember the last time I used a tampon (it's definitely been at least a year and a half, I don't think I've needed them at all since I got Mirena).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    levioosa said:

My dog does the exact same thing.  I'm glad I'm not alone. ha!
  • Options
    levioosa said:

levioosa said:

Good for you.  I don't flush "all of the contents."  Just the occasional tampon.  And like I said, it doesn't seem to be an issue in my area. 
    Welp, you're clearing not getting the comparison that i'm making, but...

You exercise your right to clog up the pumbing and sanitation systems with your garbage, girl!
  • Options

It does?!

It does?!
    It's rare, but not ridiculous. We had a friend die of TSS in the 90s. She had a four year old and a newborn, and a husband who was absolutely destroyed emotionally that his wife got "the flu" (they thought) and was dead within 24 hours. She was 29.
    It's caused by bacteria. 
    Seriously, when they say don't use tampons for several weeks after childbirth, or abortion or surgery, and don't leave them in for more than six hours, please listen. They don't make this shit up for giggles. Rare doesn't mean impossible. 

Not worth the gamble, even with unlikely odds.
    Holy shit. I am so sorry about your friend.
    Yes, a girl I worked with. Not a good day at the office.
    I'm not a paranoid person, kind of the opposite, and I thought this stuff ended when they took Rely tampons off the market. So I'm kind of paranoid about this. 
    My daughter probably hated me when I'd Issue monthly possible death warnings. Because Ohmygod, mom, stop with the deadly tampon story. 
    Oh, well. Issuing possible death warnings is in the mom job description. 
  • Options
    I was a flusher until a really unfortunate & highly embarrassing plumbing issue at work that was all caused by me. Became an adament throw away-er after that.

And re: TSS - though rare, it's still very much a real threat, though perhaps less common. A good friend of mine in college ended up with it and while she didn't die, she was very sick & hospitalized for awhile. Also keep in mind that it's only about 50% of cases are tied to tampon use. Diaphragms are also a risk factor. Scary shit! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh, and original question- I never ever flush. I honestly thought everyone was taught that. I had no idea this many people flushed. 

(I can't stand the smell, even wrapped. I put them in a separate closed trash bin under the sink, not in the regular wastebasket.) 
  • Options
    Never.  I'm someone else who thought everyone knew this, but I guess not.  I do flush the wrapper and applicator sometimes though, if they're cardboard.  I've heard that was ok.  

In grade 5 Health class, our teacher opened up a tampon to show us.  She stuck it in a large beaker of water and it went POOF!!!  Huge!!  Maybe I just always think of that.  I'm also a 99% of the time diva cup user now.  It's annoying me lately though cos it always seems to leak even though there's a seal.  

I also finally convinced DH to stop flushing condoms.  He never believed me that it could clog the pipes until the local news did a story about everything they fish out of the public water cleaning place.  It grossed him out actually.  He now trashes them

• Options
    labro said:

I did. Until I bought a house with a septic system and H told me to never ever flush my tampons. And now I have to instruct every single woman who comes in to the house that she can't flush her tampons either...it's so frustrating! I definitely didn't know that you shouldn't flush tampons in either a city pluming system or a septic system....

At my last place, it was my job to instruct my roommates not to flush them, and it definitely did NOT come across as common knowledge!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Nope not since I was a teenager. A friends yard got dug up because of a backup in the pipes, and as a 15 year old things found in the pipe were very embarrassing and I was scared. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not at my house but in public restrooms, yes. 

When we were having the inspection for our house, and we were talking about the septic tank, our realtor mentioned not flushing any products down the toilet. My husband looked at her confused, and said "products?" Realtor said, "feminine hygiene products." Then my husband looked embarrassed and was like 'oh'. I laughed.

Did you guys know your septic tank should be pumped once a year (or so)? I did not know that. We have to do ours soon, but obviously not until the snow melts.

• Options

I have always flushed them and never thought about it. Pads of course you can roll up and then wrap in tp. Tampons are messier so I just assumed they went in the toilet because no one told me otherwise and my mom wasn't throwing hers in the trash.  live in the city too so I never got a septic system lecture. I never knew other people put them in the trash until I had my period at my friend's house one day and she said something about not flushing my tampon. I was like What, who doesn't flush their tampons??

I never considered the effect it had on the environment either honestly. This makes me reconsider. I tried to get on board with the Diva cup after hearing how amazing it is but I wasted about 2 hours of my life trying to figure it out when I bought it and I just can't make it work for me .

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    Never. Actually, this is how I learned about periods in the first place- in middle school, girls kept doing this and clogging up the ancient plumbing so the principal decided it was a good time for The Talk, you know that one where they separate the boys and girls. I think I was 11, hadn't had my period yet (thank God, I would've thought I was dying) and I was horrified. The fact that my principal was a nun probably didn't help.

So this is why every public restroom stall feels the need to spread the message... I had no idea flushing was so prevalent. 
  • Options

When we were having the inspection for our house, and we were talking about the septic tank, our realtor mentioned not flushing any products down the toilet. My husband looked at her confused, and said "products?" Realtor said, "feminine hygiene products." Then my husband looked embarrassed and was like 'oh'. I laughed.

Did you guys know your septic tank should be pumped once a year (or so)? I did not know that. We have to do ours soon, but obviously not until the snow melts.
    That seems really excessive, unless it's a very small tank or a large family. Why so often? 

Ours gets pumped every four years, for the past 30ish years. I could probably go less, now that there's only two of us. We're on file with the septic tank company, and they send reminders.
    My mom gets her tank done every six years, for two people. 
  • Options
    Nope. The only times I have is when it does inevitably get pooped out or that one time I sneezed while I was peeing and it fell out. 

It was the first thing my mom told me about tampons when I started using them. Which was the first time I got my period because I had a swim meet the same day. It was pretty awesome.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options

That seems really excessive, unless it's a very small tank or a large family. Why so often? 

Ours gets pumped every four years, for the past 30ish years. I could probably go less, now that there's only two of us. We're on file with the septic tank company, and they send reminders.
    My mom gets her tank done every six years, for two people. 
    That's what they told us. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't get theirs done every year, either. This is our first house, so I'm learning. We did get a reminder from the company that did it last year (for the old owners). We are only 2 people, so I'm not worried about it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards