Pre-wedding Parties

Bridesmaids luncheon

I was just now going through my checklist (I'm 36 days away!  woohoo) and totally neglected the bridesmaids luncheon.  Is this 100% necessary?  I was planning on going to get my nails and toes done with the girls the day before, so I guess we can do a luncheon but didn't think it had to be that formal! 

Thoughts?

Re: Bridesmaids luncheon

• Required for a wedding: the two people getting married, an officiant, witnesses if required, seats and food/drink for any and all guests.

Not required: Anything else, including any pre-wedding parties of any description.

If you have invited them to have their nails done with you, IMO you should be paying. Lunch is nice but not necessary if the event is not happening at lunchtime.
  • Not required at all. It's a sweet old fashioned thing thing to do for your bridesmaids, but absolutely not necessary. 
  • @artbyallie:  Of course I was going to pay for their nails.  Thank you for reminding me the purpose of the wedding and its requirements!  :)  I'm sure some lurkers need to be reminded as well -- I've lurked a lot to know!  LOL

@ohannabelle It did come across a little old fashion but good to know I'm not the only one not doing it and/or I'm skipping an expectation that my BMs may have of me. 

Thank you both!

• I was just now going through my checklist (I'm 36 days away!  woohoo) and totally neglected the bridesmaids luncheon.  Is this 100% necessary?  I was planning on going to get my nails and toes done with the girls the day before, so I guess we can do a luncheon but didn't think it had to be that formal! 

Thoughts?

What is a bridesmaid luncheon? Def not necessary at all. I say skip it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've NEVER heard of a bridesmaid luncheon , but it does sound like a cool idea.  
  • I'm going to do a "Bruncheon" for my BMs, and I'm making all the food! I'll host at my house. That's when I'll be giving them their gifts and thanking them all for all their help and being awesome. I wanted to do something private and nice with just them instead of at the rehearsal dinner or something and no one else is around.  

But it's not required, it's up to you, and if you do decide to have a luncheon or "bruncheon", you would pay for it yourself, hosting properly. 
  • I was just now going through my checklist (I'm 36 days away!  woohoo) and totally neglected the bridesmaids luncheon.  Is this 100% necessary?  I was planning on going to get my nails and toes done with the girls the day before, so I guess we can do a luncheon but didn't think it had to be that formal! 

Thoughts?

What is a bridesmaid luncheon? Def not necessary at all. I say skip it.
    It's an old school tradition where the bride hosts a luncheon to thank the BMs and give them their gifts. I think, but am not certain, that this is southern. 

In today's world where brides and BMs usually all have jobs, and sometimes don't all live local, they've gone by the wayside. 
  • It is an older tradition and possibly southern (I'm from the south and married 32 years). Usually a friend of the bride's mother or the bride's mother hosted the luncheon as a thank you to the bridesmaids. It was traditionally held the day of the wedding (this was before the day of professional hair and make up being done for the bride and bridal party and hour plus pre-wedding photography). As I understand it, it really isn't done any more. We will be providing lunch for my daughter's BMs while they are getting ready for the wedding.
  • It is an older tradition and possibly southern (I'm from the south and married 32 years). Usually a friend of the bride's mother or the bride's mother hosted the luncheon as a thank you to the bridesmaids. It was traditionally held the day of the wedding (this was before the day of professional hair and make up being done for the bride and bridal party and hour plus pre-wedding photography). As I understand it, it really isn't done any more. We will be providing lunch for my daughter's BMs while they are getting ready for the wedding.

I don't think it's necessarily Southern. I know they do it up here, (Ontario). I've been involved in a couple of Bride's Luncheons when I was a BM, usually as a thank you. 
  • Required for a wedding: the two people getting married, an officiant, witnesses if required, seats and food/drink for any and all guests.

Not required: Anything else, including any pre-wedding parties of any description.

If you have invited them to have their nails done with you, IMO you should be paying. Lunch is nice but not necessary if the event is not happening at lunchtime.
    I know this is an older post, but I don't really agree with the bolded.  If getting their nails done is not a requirement then the OP does not have to pay for it.  So if OP said something like "Hey I am getting my nails done, if you want to come and get yours done it will be $X.  Just let me know so I can make the appointments."

And if you do get lunch afterwards that isn't something that you, OP, are required to pay for either.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards