Destination Weddings Discussions

Legalities - HELP!!

I'm having some trouble getting all the paperwork together for my destination wedding in Europe.
We have an appointment at the consulate next month and I've been able to get everything I need except for a "Certificate of Non Impediment" - I went to our town and county and I've been told they don't have them or they've never heard of it. I called the embassy again and they told me that I need it and I have to figure it out. Have any of you needed one for your destination wedding? Any advice or recommendations would help!

Thank you :)

Re: Legalities - HELP!!

• edited March 2015
    What country are you getting married in? Your local US state and county will not be able to help you with that. 

ETA- Actually, I think I filled one of these out. I'm trying to find it now. It was provided to me by the country I married in. So, again, we need to know what country you are getting married in.

• Okay, I take back what I said :) You will need it from your local government. But, where are you located? 

• Thanks for the help :)
    We're getting married in Portugal but both live in New York (specifically Nassau County). I called the county and my town/village and they both can't help. NYC issues them but we're not residents of the city so they can't help us. I feel like I'm going in loops!
  • You need to do it at the state level. You may want to go ahead and just do it both at the state level and at the NYC level too.

• We technically needed to do this for our wedding in Australia, but did it by providing our divorce decrees. Australia also had us fill out and notarize a "notice of intent to marry" which also had us declare that we were eligible to marry.

• Thank you thank you!! I'll call the state tomorrow!

I've been googling everything on the county level.
  • You're welcome! and good luck :)

• We called the state today (twice) and FINALLY someone was able to help us! They have to mail us an application, then we fill it out and snail mail it right back, and then they'll mail the certificate to us.  OF COURSE they don't have online applications lol.  We had to push back our appointment with the consulate a month but we are finally on our way :)

Thank you again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards