Not Engaged Yet

Weight loss plateau advice needed

Augh, please help! I recently started counting calories again and upping my workouts. My goal was 14 pounds and I lost 5.6 the first month. Now for the last 2 weeks I haven't lost anything. I tried several different things, as suggested by various weight loss experts, such as increasing my calories one day a week, changing my exercise routine, adding weight lifting to my schedule, etc. Nothing seems to be helping.

I know several of you have been successful with weight loss so any insight, tips or other would be very appreciated! Thanks ladies!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 

Re: Weight loss plateau advice needed

• First off....don't get discouraged! Stick with eating healthy and counting calories.

Try increasing water consumption (I try to get 80 oz a day) and keep doing the other things (new workouts, weights, etc). I bet in the next week or 2  you will see that scale move!

Also - are you tracking anything aside from weight? Measurements, body fat %? It's highly possible those numbers are changing even though weight isn't.
  • It's so hard not get discouraged but you are absolutely right, and I am sticking with it and not taking my frustrations out on a large pizza, ooey gooey nachos or other junk food. I drink at least 60-70 ozs a day right now, I average about 90 so my water is good. Other than coffee in the morning and green tea, I don't drink anything else including soda.

No, I am not trackin anything else but I keep hearing about this fitbit device that you wear like a watch that a lot of my friends just love. It will track all of those things for me and it does a lot of other things as well but they are $250 and I am not sure I want to invest that kind of money. Maybe I should get a tape measure to start checking inches weekly.

Thanks for the tips!

• First, remember muscle weighs more than fat.  Since you're working out, you're gaining muscle. Second, you're doing everything you should be doing. Its good to alternate between different exercise routines to give muscles a chance to rest. Also take notice of how your clothes fit.  You'll see changes more in your clothes than you will on the scale. A tape measure will help with this too.  Do you have a work out buddy?  It is easy to keep from getting discouraged if you have someone going through the same thing with you. 

Also, if you are interested in the fit bit, there are a bunch of different models.  Target has them starting at $60.  

• Ditto the suggestion of tracking more than just your weight. It will help you see progress in other areas even if your numbers aren't going down.

• As far as fitbit goes - it's really a fancy pedometer.  They do have the one that had the built in Heart Rate monitor in it (I'm not sure if it's ALWAYS on or not though).  I have a Samsung device that integrates with my phone so I can get text messages on it (mine only allows me to decline phone calls - other models allow you to take them).

Being stuck for 2 weeks and trying so many different things - how do you know what is working and what is not?  Maybe I have it wrong in my mind but this is the way I'm envisioning it:
    Week 1 - Weighed yourself and there was no weight loss
    Week 2 - Decided to change things up and still no weight loss
    -- Is this assumption correct?

As far as the 'muscle weighs more than fat' -- 1lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat... however 1 lb of fat takes up much more mass than 1 lb of muscle.  So this is why taking measurements can be important.

Are you measuring your food?  If not, were you?  This is where a lot of people start becoming relaxed... they start saying 'I know what a cup of brown rice looks at' and before you know it the 1 cup is actually 1 1/2 cups.

What does a sample schedule of yours look like?

Anniversary
  • I definitely would not be concerned about plateauing for two weeks. You're doing the right things (but add measurements to the list like other PPs suggested), so just keep doing what you're doing. Also, where did you get the goal of 14 lbs? Keep in mind that the first pounds you lose are going to be the easiest. After that, your body may try to 'hold on' to some of it, until it realizes that exercising and working out are the new norm. Everyone is different, so just don't get discouraged!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @Loves2dream - it's easy to get discouraged by the # on the scale, but try not to let it bother you! As long as you are working out, eating healthy foods, and consuming the right # of calories (and DON'T try to keep dropping calories), the weight WILL come off. Just be proud of yourself for sticking to your plan, and everything else will follow in time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the tips! MY BF is my workout buddy most days. I have a food scale and measure everything and read all labels to be sure I track the correct calories and not use some of the already listed items in there (Avocados for example had one in there for almost 400 calories!)

I came up with 14 pounds to round out my weight goal. My weight goal comes from my doctor and her recommended weight range for me.

Yes, Dignity, I have switched things up starting a week and a half ago, not quite 2 weeks. My clothes don't feel any different, other than my bras, go figure. :)

My typical week would be the following:

Monday-20 minute eliptical 10 minute weight

Tuesday-Walk/run on the treadmill for 30

Wednesday-Eliptical for 20-25 minutes and 5-10 minutes of weights/lunges/etc., or incline on treadmill for 30 minutes 

Thursday-A walk outside or ride on the stationary bike

Friday-varies based on any number of things above and how tired I am :)

I work out on Saturday or Sunday but only lightly, maybe a walk with the dog or around the block a few times. I have at least one rest day, sometimes two depending on how active I have been that week.

BF and I don't eat out much since I LOVE to cook. Our diet, due to his cholesterol being high, is mostly fish and veggies and a starch 2-3 times per week. We have a protein with every meal whether it is eggs, meat or yogurt in the morning. This has been our typical diet for about 2 years now.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement too! These plateaus are difficult, especially when it seemed to come right off in the beginning (cu97tiger, you are very right!). BF has been very supportive too. He just called me to tell me about an article he saw about working out that he is going to show me when I get home. He started working out with me and dropped 10 pounds (and he is already trim) in two weeks! Go figure.... :)

• @loves2dream Don't let your BF's progress discourage you too!  We've got a lot more crazy hormones at work in us than those boys :)  My H and I weigh approximately the same thing (he is usually a bit less) and while that might be discouraging to some, as long as my clothes fit I'm a-ok!

I think you're doing great!  Just keep on keeping on for now!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • My friend who is a trainer would probably tell you to cut out a lot of the cardio and do more functional training or plyometrics (i.e. exercise that works your muscles and gets your heart rate up). Everyone's bodies are different though, so it's hard to say. Two weeks is not long enough to determine if something is or isn't working. Your body is still changing how it processes everything during that time.

I will say that if you're still plateauing in a few weeks and your measurements haven't changed, then maybe you should look closer at your diet. Calories are important, but your protein/carb/fat intake can affect how your body stores/uses energy. For example, when I eat more protein and less carbs, I tend to burn more fat. Some people are the opposite. 

Overall it really takes time to find the right diet and exercise program for yourself. Rule of thumb for most people is that you will start noticing changes in your body after 4 weeks, and other people will start noticing changes in your body after 6 weeks. Stick with what you're doing for a little longer before deciding if a change is necessary.

• So true, Eilis1228! My sister is always wanting me to do these cleanses and juice diets and they work for her, which is great! But the best diet I have found for me is counting calories because the minute you tell me I can't have something, I want it and I fail! Counting calories allows me to still eat what I want and satisfy occasionally cravings without the guilt.

• @Loves2Dream I agree! I count calories as well. It's the only way I know to really hold myself accountable. It works for some people, not for others. You can still play around with the proportions of your macros within your daily calorie allowance to see if that changes anything. 

• Confession: I only skimmed the other responses.

If you have a smart phone, download MyFitnessPal. It's a free app and a great way to hold yourself accountable. It helps track calories in and calories out, and other people have already done most of the work entering other things for you. Plus there's a barcode scanner, so if I use a bag of lettuce from Giant, I scan the bag and it's in my food diary. I also know when I'm working out I'm HUNGRY and I tend to eat more. MFP lets me be conscientious about what type of calories I'm putting in. Also, there are lots of FitBit models out now less than $250, that will still do most of what you want them to do. There's the Garmin VivoFit and Timex Move 20 and JawBone and about a hundred fit bit models (that can be found for less than $80 on amazon). If you like to be competitive with yourself I highly recommend the activity tracker. Which you can also sync with My Fitness Pal. *I don't work for these companies, I just really really like their products.
  • @MsSparky I use the LoseIt! app but it doesn't have a scanner so I might have to switch to MyFitnessPal, it would save me a $hit ton of time! Can you enter your own recipes as well? Thanks for the tips!
  • @Loves2Dream Yes, you can input recipes on MFP. It's really handy.

• @loves2dream-yep, you can input your own, or use other peoples that are close. I've even learned a few new ones from other things that people have done that look good.
  • eilis1228 said:

My friend who is a trainer would probably tell you to cut out a lot of the cardio and do more functional training or plyometrics (i.e. exercise that works your muscles and gets your heart rate up). Everyone's bodies are different though, so it's hard to say. Two weeks is not long enough to determine if something is or isn't working. Your body is still changing how it processes everything during that time.

I will say that if you're still plateauing in a few weeks and your measurements haven't changed, then maybe you should look closer at your diet. Calories are important, but your protein/carb/fat intake can affect how your body stores/uses energy. For example, when I eat more protein and less carbs, I tend to burn more fat. Some people are the opposite. 

Overall it really takes time to find the right diet and exercise program for yourself. Rule of thumb for most people is that you will start noticing changes in your body after 4 weeks, and other people will start noticing changes in your body after 6 weeks. Stick with what you're doing for a little longer before deciding if a change is necessary.
    I was actually going to say the opposite. I would aim for 30 minutes of cardio each time you do it. Keep doing strength training, stretching, plyo exercises, too, but I don't think your balancing out the weight you gain building muscle with the cardio you're doing. Please note: I am NOT a trainer, it just seems like 20 mins of cardio and 10 mins of strength training is not going to be enough to lose much weight, especially if you are close to your healthy weight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards