Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon booked! (And most complicated flight arrangements ever)

FI booked our honeymoon flights today! We booked our accommodations a month ago (all-inclusive in Cancun for 11 nights, woot!), but we had put off flights thinking we could always find a better deal.

FI works for a national airline, so we have some flight vouchers, discounts, and a credit card for said airline with a bunch of miles on it. The airline has direct flights to Cancun, but we just found out they stop the direct flights in April. We had been banking on those direct flights to have relatively cheap first-class seats at least on some legs, but now we have to fly on multiple airlines if we want to use any discounts. 

Yesterday FI started throwing a bunch of numbers at me, with costs for all of the flights separately so we could use our vouchers and discounts for the domestic legs, at which point my brain melted and/or I stopped paying attention. I was inclined to just go on Kayak and buy round-trip coach seats because it was getting WAY too complicated and expensive, but FI was set on first class for at least part of the trip. 

So now, we're using his employee credits for flights to Dallas and airline miles to upgrade to first class, then regular coach seats on another airline from Dallas to Cancun (with the hope we can upgrade at the gate), and then first class on a third airline all the way home. Somehow he managed to do this for about $200 more per person vs. just buying round trip coach seats on Kayak, mainly because the domestic flight on the way there will be super cheap. I still don't completely understand what he did or how we're getting there, but he's an engineer - so I am just going to put faith in his math and planning skills.

Assuming his plans are solid, three months from today we'll be en route to Cancun!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Honeymoon booked! (And most complicated flight arrangements ever)

• Options
    Good luck with that.  

No way I would do 2 different airlines getting to/from a destination without an overnight layover.   If your first flight is cancelled or delayed you have no recourse on the second flight.   

A different airline coming and going would not be an issue for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @lyndauvsi it's a long layover on the way down - it gets in early AM, and the next flight is in late afternoon. Regardless - whether it's the same airline or not, there is always a chance of cancellation/missed connections.

Is there a possibility that something gets messed up? Sure. We  like to live on the edge like that. 

Side note, though, there are a ton of flights on Kayak where there are two different airlines for one trip - in fact, to get to Cancun from where we live, almost ALL of the itineraries include two different airlines. Any time you have a connection you're taking a risk. I have definitely missed connections when traveling on the same airline for two flights, so shit happens either way.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

@lyndauvsi it's a long layover on the way down - it gets in early AM, and the next flight is in late afternoon. Regardless - whether it's the same airline or not, there is always a chance of cancellation/missed connections.

Is there a possibility that something gets messed up? Sure. We  like to live on the edge like that. 

Side note, though, there are a ton of flights on Kayak where there are two different airlines for one trip - in fact, to get to Cancun from where we live, almost ALL of the itineraries include two different airlines. Any time you have a connection you're taking a risk. I have definitely missed connections when traveling on the same airline for two flights, so shit happens either way.
    the key is share codes.  If they are share codes then they will still get you to your destination.  If they are not share codes that means if you miss your 2nd flight you are considered a no-show and the airline will not fly you down.  I.E you will have to repay.

If you are checking bags and they are not share codes then you will have to get your luggage from baggage claim and then re-check them with the 2nd airline.  Which takes time.

I'm not sure if you have the same share codes.  That is the difference with me.  Same codes, you are fine.  2 separate reservations.   That is a risk I would not be willing to take just to get first class for part of the flights.

ETA - nor would sitting in an airport for hours on end just to get a FC ticket for one leg be worth the $200 either.  I like FC as much as the next person.  My time is more valuable though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight @lyndausvi! Just talked with FI, and apparently he has not actually booked yet. We'll take your advice into consideration and make sure that we don't get screwed. I told FI to hold off on booking, since he hasn't yet. I agree, though, that FC isn't worth a ton of extra hassle. FI is just set on using his travel vouchers. I told him he should just call the airline and tell them what we want to do, and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    The separate airline going and coming would not be an issue for me.  It's the connecting one with 2 separate airlines reservations that can be tricky.   You will not have to deal with winter weather, but crazy things can happen. 

I'm also a fan of spending the least amount of layover as possible. Anything over 2 hours and I'm cranky.   Plus food and drinks while you wait is expensive.

• Options
    Hey, I am with you about short layovers. I wanted to just book coach round trip, in one fell swoop, and be done with it once I heard how complicated it was. But the more I tell FI about what you are saying the more he is agreeing. So I am really glad I posted this and got your responses before he got a chance to finalize the booking!

He's going to wait until tomorrow and call the airline. Thanks again!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I could not agree more with @lyndausvi . I don't care how nice first class is if it means I have a total travel time of 12 hours rather than 5 hours. I always book by shortest travel time (making sure connections are at least 1.5 hours).

Another thing to consider is just like she said with 2 separate reservations. I flew Jet blue for my honeymoon and they changed my flights 3 times in the months leading up to the honeymoon. They would say oh the 7am is half full, and the 10am is half full so screw you all we're cancelling those flights and you can go on the same plane at 11am. There is nothing you can do about it when they cancel a flight time. So if your connection was for 11am you are now totally screwed with no possible chance to get there on time. Whereas, if your connection is still with Jet Blue, they obviously figure it out and get you on the next one or hold the connection.

• Options
    Alright, @lyndausvi, flights are NOW booked! We still booked the way down (coach) separately from the way back (first class), and it was only $300 more total than the cheapest round trip coach on Kayak. Still multiple airlines (Alaska and American) for the way down, but we booked both together through Alaska, so we should be good.

@jenna8984 that sounds incredibly frustrating! I've never flown Jet Blue, but I have had that crap pulled on my by Frontier. I hate Frontier.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Alright, @lyndausvi, flights are NOW booked! We still booked the way down (coach) separately from the way back (first class), and it was only $300 more total than the cheapest round trip coach on Kayak. Still multiple airlines (Alaska and American) for the way down, but we booked both together through Alaska, so we should be good.

@jenna8984 that sounds incredibly frustrating! I've never flown Jet Blue, but I have had that crap pulled on my by Frontier. I hate Frontier.

Sounds like a great plan.  

Since they are together your bags will transferred and in the event of delays they will still get you to Cancun.

Have fun !!

• Options

Woohoo!

Where do you live? In Alaska or just up in northwest US?

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Woohoo!

Where do you live? In Alaska or just up in northwest US?

I live in Oregon. But I am particularly biased toward Alaska, as FI works there (the airline, not the state). They're based in Seattle, so there are always a ton of flights out of Portland and Seattle for us to choose from. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards