Budget Weddings Forum

Opinions Needed - Unique Table Covers, Affordable or Tacky?

Calling our wedding budget shoestring would be considered flattery. My fiancée and I, however, have managed to lower our costs by making our wedding writing themed (we're both writers, and it's also how we met).

One of the things we're considering doing is using butcher paper (or some other inexpensive, rollable paper) for table covers and providing a bucket of pens/markers/etc. on the tables and encourage guests to write quotes on the table coverings. Supposing any of the "tablecloths" survive the wedding, we'll use them for parts of unique, craft decorations around our apartment to remember the day.

Thoughts?

Re: Opinions Needed - Unique Table Covers, Affordable or Tacky?

• Calling our wedding budget shoestring would be considered flattery. My fiancée and I, however, have managed to lower our costs by making our wedding writing themed (we're both writers, and it's also how we met).

One of the things we're considering doing is using butcher paper (or some other inexpensive, rollable paper) for table covers and providing a bucket of pens/markers/etc. on the tables and encourage guests to write quotes on the table coverings. Supposing any of the "tablecloths" survive the wedding, we'll use them for parts of unique, craft decorations around our apartment to remember the day.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't really mind what the table cloths or covers are, however, I think it is rather ambitious to think they will be in any salvageable shape to display or craft with.  They will be covered in drink rings and food spills. Does your venue just have plain wood picnic tables? They don't really need a lot of decoration or covers for that matter, and you could save money that way:
  • I think it could be cute. I'd just be careful about getting washable markers and such to avoid any potential damage to the tables you could get charged for. It might also be good to put a few quotes on each table to get people started.

Btw, teacher's supply stores are a godsend if you're looking for big rolls of paper on the cheap.
  • Calling our wedding budget shoestring would be considered flattery. My fiancée and I, however, have managed to lower our costs by making our wedding writing themed (we're both writers, and it's also how we met).

Thoughts?

1. No "tablecloth" is going to survive the end of the day.  Between rips, food stains, and condensation from beverages there is no possible way any of them will survive the day.  Save your time and money.

2. If you're using picnic tables, I would leave them bare or find a cheap runner somewhere.  If you're renting tables, I would go to a party supply or dollar store and scope out plastic tablecloths.
  • Cute, and it could work if used as a runner. it would have a better chance of surviving. If the way the tables are doesn't loan itself to putting the paper down as a runner, what about using it as a guest book idea? I agree with PP that I would recommend using probably crayons or colored pencils because markers can leak through paper and stain/ruin what is underneath and you don't want to be charged for that.
  • Agree chairs are more important than the tablecloth.

I think the idea is fine, I would probably doodle on it. I don't think it's even necessary to try to save any of it, or let people know the purpose of it. When I see paper and have pens laying around, I'm pretty guaranteed to at least scribble something.
  • I love doodling when there is paper at the table so in that way I like this idea, but I do tend to doodle things like smiling poops and sharks shooting guns, so it depends on your crowd.  And yes, food will likely get on them but I think you could probable salvage parts and frame them or scrapbook them or something.

• Sam's Club sells the butcher paper! I believe it's around $10 a roll.
    Your centerpieces will pull it together. Since your theme is writing, you could easily go to a thrift shop and pick up books for less than a buck, it will probably kill you, but tear out the pages and tape together (on the underside!) for a cute writing-themed runner.
  • I think it is a great idea.  Would be fun to use what you can later, and turn it into craft projects you can display later.
  • The paper will not survive. What would be super cute and cheap, though, is to use the paper to cover the tables (or narrower paper as runners) on which you write a few meaningful quotes in large, friendly letters. (And maybe have your bridal party join in so no one's wrists cramp up.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP that they probably won't survive to keep and also I doubt you'll get people writing quotes on them. Most likely it'll be doodles and games. With that being said I think it's a great idea and I'd love it if I had crayons to write on the tablecloth at a wedding. I think if you look at it more as entertainment for your guests it's a great idea, you may find a few things that are salvageable but most likely if you are using it as a keepsake you'll probably be disappointed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's a cute idea in theory, but not one in execution. Condensation from the glasses alone will ruin the paper.

I agree that you will find more doodling then heartfelt messages or quotes.  

I also agree that  money might be better spent on other things if you are really on a shoestring budget.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    Why are you even worrying about stuff like this, and espresso cups or whatever it was, when you don't even have the basics yet, like seats for your ceremony??

Formerly martha1818

• DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    Where does it say OP does not have seats?
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Where does it say OP does not have seats?

In another thread OP started.
  • Oh snap. For a shoestring budget you sure are over complicating things.
  • I love the butcher paper idea. And if you get real butcher paper, It will have a plastic type lining. Much of the paper will be salvageable (unlike what others are saying). I think the drink rings will give it some character also. I'd say go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards