Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

which cake?

Im having a hard time choosing between these cakes?

wedding cake
flowers

floral painted cake

Small white two tier wedding cake decorated with some cream-toned flowers. I love how delicate and shabby chic this is! #romantic

Re: which cake?

• I like the first one or the last one. The second is a bit much, not a fan of the dangly bits. While the painted one is very pretty, I feel like it might be a fas and will look a bit outdated when you look back on your pictures. The fourth one...the multi level thing is a bit much for my taste, although I do like the look of the actual cakes.
  • First or last.  I like simple cakes because they typically look the tastiest to me.  The craziest I would go would be the 3rd cake, but the other two are just too much.  I especially hate fountains under cakes.  It is just weird to me.

• first or last.  I give a slight edge to the last one only because I HATE fondant.  To me, it looks and tastes like fake plastic-y yuck.  But I love the gold on the first.  Could you maybe find a way to incorporate gold into the last design?
  • Casadena said:

first or last.  I give a slight edge to the last one only because I HATE fondant.  To me, it looks and tastes like fake plastic-y yuck.  But I love the gold on the first.  Could you maybe find a way to incorporate gold into the last design?

The first cake could be done completely in butter cream.  If the bakery is good then they will know how to smooth butter cream out that it will be hard to tell that it isn't fondant.  

• I like 1, 3, 5. Actually, I kind of wish I'd done 5 at my wedding (since I'm not 100% happy with how my cake turned out). I think 1 and 5 are good because in 20 years you won't look back and thing "eek, why did I pick that?"
  • I like the blue and white one if those weird silver dangle-y things were removed. 
    *********************************************************************************

• First one or last one. 
  • Casadena said:

first or last.  I give a slight edge to the last one only because I HATE fondant.  To me, it looks and tastes like fake plastic-y yuck.  But I love the gold on the first.  Could you maybe find a way to incorporate gold into the last design?

The first cake could be done completely in butter cream.  If the bakery is good then they will know how to smooth butter cream out that it will be hard to tell that it isn't fondant.  
    I've just never seen buttercream or whipped frosting that looks that smooth, but it's it's doable then I think that cake is beautiful too!!  
  • Casadena said:

Casadena said:

I've just never seen buttercream or whipped frosting that looks that smooth, but it's it's doable then I think that cake is beautiful too!!  
    You have clearly never seen a Sylvia Weinstock cake.  Getting buttercream that smooth is possible, but you have to be skilled.

OP, my actual answer is whatever one your baker can successfully recreate.  Are these pictures ones from the actual bakery you are using?  Because I've seen people with lots of pie in the sky dreams with pictures from magazines, but the reality looks very different under the hands of a different pastry chef.

That said, I feel like 2 and 4 look dated in a 1980's kind of way.  3 is lovely, but if it isn't a picture from the bakery you are actually using then I would be a bit hesitant unless I saw a similar example from the actual bakery you're using.  Personally, like the less fussy look of #5 best, but #1 is nice (provided the bakery can do metallic well - I've seen it look horrid one too many times).
  • edited June 2015
  • None of the cakes would be in fondant, I absolutely hate it.  I will see if we can combine one and five and see what the come up  with.
  • jacques27 said:

Casadena said:

You have clearly never seen a Sylvia Weinstock cake.  Getting buttercream that smooth is possible, but you have to be skilled.

OP, my actual answer is whatever one your baker can successfully recreate.  Are these pictures ones from the actual bakery you are using?  Because I've seen people with lots of pie in the sky dreams with pictures from magazines, but the reality looks very different under the hands of a different pastry chef.

That said, I feel like 2 and 4 look dated in a 1980's kind of way.  3 is lovely, but if it isn't a picture from the bakery you are actually using then I would be a bit hesitant unless I saw a similar example from the actual bakery you're using.  Personally, like the less fussy look of #5 best, but #1 is nice (provided the bakery can do metallic well - I've seen it look horrid one too many times).

To the bolded...all you have to do is take a look at www.cakewrecks.com to see some major fails.

• The first is my favorite, the third and last (I know, but I like painted cakes) tie for second. Last place is that 1980's multi-column fountain thing. Big nope to that. Unless you mean just the pattern. If that's the case, then the blue cake is my least favorite.

All of this, what she said, exactly!
  • jacques27 said:

Casadena said:

SITB...  IMO I would take all the pictures above to your baker to see what their skillset is and how comfortable they are in recreating a particular look.  Some bakers are better at reproductions than others.  Some bakers will be able to pull the individual elements out and create a cake you'll love forever.  Good luck though!

• First or last. 

• I like the first one the most!
  • @ShesSoCold - zombieee
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards