Chit Chat
Options

April Fools Day

Spin from novella's thread...

My mom froze my cereal and milk one year. Another year our neighbor brought over their similar looking cat, my mom put our cat in it's litter box room and they tried to pretend nothing was different.

I would always do harmless stuff to my roommates in college like swap the cereal and cracker bags/boxes and put a rubber lizard in the shower.

What are the best April Fools Day jokes that you played or were played on you?
*********************************************************************************

Re: April Fools Day

• Options
    Last year FI got me (early in the morning before my brain was awake) and I declared there would be vengeance. I enlisted our wedding venue's manager to send an email telling us that they had double-booked our date and we would need to reschedule. FI didn't fall for it, but after that he wasn't expecting any more pranks...

So that night he came over to my place and parked on the street. I had mocked up a fake parking ticket, and snuck outside to put it on his car. He had played right into it by parking a little too close to a driveway, and totally believed that's what he got ticketed for. He raged for a good 5 minutes before I fessed up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Once I made fake cat barf and put it right at the bottom of the stairs in hopes my sister would step on it. She didn't, but she did think for a minute there it was barf!

I never do anything elaborate. It's fun to make up random little lies, but I never hold it long-- two minutes later I'm all, "I'm totally kidding, April Fools." 

• Options
    lol I'm excited you started this thread. 

One year in college, I waited till 1 am (so it had officially been April Fool's Day for 1 hour), called my parents, and told them I was in jail. 

Another year, I called my best friend who was studying forensics, and told him I had been driving the night before and committed a hit and run. I got my voice to shake and everything. Told him there was blood in the grill of my car and I had no idea what to do. That's when I learned how good of a friend he was, because I really expected him to tell me I needed to turn myself in, but instead he used his forensics expertise to tell me how to cover up the crime. 

When I was 16, my best friend and I drove around all night collecting those election signs that stick in people's yards. We went to our guy friend's house and COVERED his entire front yard in them. It was insane how many there were. Then we used neon pink sidewalk chalk to write APRIL FOOLS on the street in front of his house. But a car parked over it during the night. My friend woke up, looked out his bedroom window which faced the front lawn, saw all the signs, and then saw the word "FOOLS" written in the street. 

Last year FI and I put an offer on a house that was accepted. During the house hunting process FI had commented a few times that we needed to make sure the houses we looked at weren't haunted (only half joking). So I called him pretending to be all upset that I had googled our house and a murder had happened there. 

Mmm... what else.... :) 
  • Options
    I think the most "pranking" I've done was wear my motorcycle helmet to pick up the kids in my afterschool, or put balloons in stockings and wear that on my head, or put my hair in a ridiculous amount of ponytails. 

I'm stealing @blabla's parking ticket though this year - FI is apparently working downtown this morning, which is an opportunity too good to pass up. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I also put bumper stickers (easily removable ones) on my friends' cars. 

We didn't know but one of my friends had just traded cars with his dad. We put a pink, glittery sticker on what we thought was our friend's car that said "SPANK ME!" The way they parked in their driveway, his dad wouldn't have seen it getting into his car. I'm not actually sure how long he ended up driving around that way... 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Holy crap @Novella1186 those are some amazing pranks.

I never do anything, but I walked into work this morning and caught my coworker attaching airhorns to the bottoms of chairs, so when people sit on them they go off. Thankfully I come in early, so I wasn't a victim. It should be an interesting day.
  • Options

Possible UO here, but I think a prank where you tell someone you're pregnant or sick or in trouble is just cruel. 

My co-worker was out yesterday, so I turned his entire desk around. One year I wrapped a co-worker's car in pallet wrap. Years ago, I went to my boyfriend's apartment and changed entire rooms around. I swapped his bed and his living room, and this bathroom and his kitchen. 
    Well, to be fair, if I called my parents and said I was in jail, they'd laugh in my face and ask if I'd finally been caught for my jaywalking habit.

Pregnancy, yeah - that's a tender subject. But jail/trouble depends on whether or not you've actually gotten in trouble before.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Possible UO here, but I think a prank where you tell someone you're pregnant or sick or in trouble is just cruel. 

My co-worker was out yesterday, so I turned his entire desk around. One year I wrapped a co-worker's car in pallet wrap. Years ago, I went to my boyfriend's apartment and changed entire rooms around. I swapped his bed and his living room, and this bathroom and his kitchen. 
    Yeah I have some really strict rules for pranks: They can't damage anyone's property or break anything (like one year, one of my friends poured grass killer in a pattern on someone's front lawn, and I thought that was shitty.) They can't hurt someone's feelings or seriously upset someone, like if you make a person cry, that's not fucking funny. And you can't keep the prank going long enough that it actually impacts them in a serious way, like the one where I told my parents I was in jail; if my dad had actually gotten out of bed, gotten dressed, and started driving to my college town to come get me, that would be shitty. 

To me, a good prank is funny and harmless, not shitty, mean spirited, or destructive. 
  • Options
    my niece tried to get me for weeks after. i found a monster high doll on my door knob to my room... (i hate monster high dolls theyre creepy) 
  • Options
    If I were more handy, I would swap out those door lever handles with knobs at our house. 

• Options
    Have you guys seen those "Cat Facts" texts from Reddit? One of my friends and I did that to our friends last year. I have a burner phone that I used for the intercom system at my apartment building (had to be a local area code because our intercom can't make long-distance calls, so I just got a tracphone and put $5 on it every 3 months). We texted like 12 of our friends cat facts every hour all day, switching back and forth who had the phone and who was with our friends. My favorite response was that one of my friends started responding with duck facts.

Freshman year of college my roommate and her best friend went downstairs to their best guy friends' room (they knew the door was never locked) and switched all of their belongings - their closets, dressers, desks, just swapped everything. The guys ended up being too lazy to switch them back and just kept them that way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

One year I worked in a large grocery store of sorts in the deli.  I went to a different phone and called the main number and asked for the deli.  My co-worker picked up and I proceeded to order 20 pounds of lunch meat - all shaved (if you ever worked in a deli - this is the worst of the worst!  Your arm will die after a pound of shaved lunch meat.).  I added in a few pounds of sliced cheese too.  Then I tell her I will be there in 5 minutes to pick it up.  Hang up and go back into the deli.  Co-worker is freaking out at the amount of stuff to slice and the timeframe.  I let her run around for a little bit and then told her April Fools.

The best non-joke April Fools though?  My friend growing up, her older brother and his gf (now wife) were having a baby.  They were too afraid to tell my friends parents, so they just didn't.  They decided to wait for the baby's birth.  Guess what day she is born?  Today.  She is probably 20 years old now!  Anyway, friend's brother calls his parents and tells them the news.  They don't believe him!  He is trying to convince them when the baby starts crying in the background.  The parents were quick to realize it wasn't a joke when that happened.  They had even seen the gf during her pregnancy - they were at college in DC and we are in South Jersey.  But she was so tiny all the time, she barely even showed during her pregnancy.

• Options

I don't do April Fools pranks.

One year my mom got me with the old seran wrap on the door thing. I totally ate shit that morning. Looking back, it was pretty funny.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

One year in college, I waited till 1 am (so it had officially been April Fool's Day for 1 hour), called my parents, and told them I was in jail. 

Another year, I called my best friend who was studying forensics, and told him I had been driving the night before and committed a hit and run. I got my voice to shake and everything. Told him there was blood in the grill of my car and I had no idea what to do. That's when I learned how good of a friend he was, because I really expected him to tell me I needed to turn myself in, but instead he used his forensics expertise to tell me how to cover up the crime. 

When I was 16, my best friend and I drove around all night collecting those election signs that stick in people's yards. We went to our guy friend's house and COVERED his entire front yard in them. It was insane how many there were. Then we used neon pink sidewalk chalk to write APRIL FOOLS on the street in front of his house. But a car parked over it during the night. My friend woke up, looked out his bedroom window which faced the front lawn, saw all the signs, and then saw the word "FOOLS" written in the street. 

Last year FI and I put an offer on a house that was accepted. During the house hunting process FI had commented a few times that we needed to make sure the houses we looked at weren't haunted (only half joking). So I called him pretending to be all upset that I had googled our house and a murder had happened there. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Yeah, I really hope this isn't true...
  • Options

Yeah I have some really strict rules for pranks: They can't damage anyone's property or break anything (like one year, one of my friends poured grass killer in a pattern on someone's front lawn, and I thought that was shitty.) They can't hurt someone's feelings or seriously upset someone, like if you make a person cry, that's not fucking funny. And you can't keep the prank going long enough that it actually impacts them in a serious way, like the one where I told my parents I was in jail; if my dad had actually gotten out of bed, gotten dressed, and started driving to my college town to come get me, that would be shitty. 

To me, a good prank is funny and harmless, not shitty, mean spirited, or destructive. 
    Girl, you called your parents at 1am to tell them you were in jail. In my book, that's cruel. It doesn't matter if they didn't get out of bed. You woke them up and fucked with their emotions. 
    My dad actually thought it was funny (before he knew it was a joke). He said "Guess you're spending the night there," and laughed. I guess you just have to know his weird sense of humor. When I told him April Fools he laughed harder and called me a jackass. 
  • Options
    I like to put those pop rock things under the toilet seat at work, so when you sit down they pop.  Last year it made a couple of my coworkers scream because it startled them, which was pretty funny.

• Options

Yeah, I really hope this isn't true...
    I have to agree. If I told a friend I was involved in a hit and run, and they didn't immediately tell me to turn myself in, I would probably not be friends with that person anymore. 

Another joke I don't find funny. My friend's boyfriend was killed a few years ago in a hit and run accident. He was crossing the street at night and someone plowed right into him. The person never stopped. I can't even begin to tell you the grief my friend and this man's family have experienced. So yeah. Not funny. 
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

The bolded makes you sound sketchy as fuck and I am nooooooooooootttttttt into it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    beethery said:

The bolded makes you sound sketchy as fuck and I am nooooooooooootttttttt into it.
    That was the craziest part, was that he believed him. I slam on the brakes and get out of my car to help turtles in the road. He knew me well enough to know I would never do a thing like that. 

Also this was when I was like 17 or something and a total jackass. Would I say such a thing to someone now? No, absolutely not. But his reaction is what sticks in my memory. 

Edited for box situation. 
  • Options
    I'm only cool with harmless pranks... salt in the sugar bowl, short sheeting the bed, etc. I'm not cool with anything that involves lying. The only way it's a good prank is if you know someone's emotions are invested in the lie (like nobody cares if you lie and tell them you ate pizza for lunch when really you had a burger) so that just makes it fucked up. It's like how saying "no offense" doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever the fuck you want - people will still take offense. Same with "April fool!"

Some former coworkers used to play pranks on each other all the time... one of the best was K placing a Craigslist ad listing a room in R's house for rent, including specific details on when this roommate was and was not allowed to use the bathroom based on R's pooping schedule, and other ridiculous rules. He got calls about it for about a week.

• Options
    beethery said:

That was the craziest part, was that he believed him. I slam on the brakes and get out of my car to help turtles in the road. He knew me well enough to know I would never do a thing like that. 

Also this was when I was like 17 or something and a total jackass. Would I say such a thing to someone now? No, absolutely not. But his reaction is what sticks in my memory. 

This is what you posted in your thread above:

That's when I learned how good of a friend he was, because I really expected him to tell me I needed to turn myself in, but instead he used his forensics expertise to tell me how to cover up the crime. 

So which is it? It gave you pause? Or you thought he was SUCH a good friend that he was going to help you cover up a crime where you possible could have killed another person. 
  • Options

beethery said:

Yeah still fucked up. Nope.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

My family sounds damn tame by comparison. We did jello in a glass with a little fruit punch on top, salt in the sugar bowl, the rubber band around the sprayer nozzle, never scary shit.

But we don't even do that anymore, because I don't care for pranks. Even the harmless ones waste food, and that's a sin.

Yessss. This was basically a staple at house parties in college. Wrap it and set up shop somewhere with a good view. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards