Wedding Reception Forum

Live Chat with Kelsey from The Knot Venue Concierge!

KnotRileyKnotRiley admin
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited February 2016 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hey Knotties!

Today's the day! Kelsey, from The Knot Venue Concierge, will be holding a live chat at 1pm EST exclusively on the Reception Ideas board.

She will be on hand to discuss all things related to finding your dream venue, as well as answer any questions you may have. Check out her bio below and we hope you can make it! 

If you have a question that you would like us to ask on your behalf, email us at messageboards@theknot.com! We promise it will stay anonymous.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Kelsey, from The Knot Venue Concierge! I've been a wedding planner since 2011 at two boutique agencies (Ambiance Luxe and Jubilee Events), planning dream weddings with personalized style and flair, and I've been at The Knot for almost two years. I love all kinds of wedding venues, from estates to ranches, and hope to be able to help find your absolute dream venue. I'm so excited to help you!

See you at 1pm EST!

Re: Live Chat with Kelsey from The Knot Venue Concierge!

• Hi Everyone! Thanks for joining us today for the live chat! 

@KelseyTKConcierge is here and ready to answer your questions so ask away!
  • KelseyTKConciergeKelseyTKConcierge Venue Concierge
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Hi Knotties!!

I am so excited to chat with you and answer all your awesome wedding venue questions! Ask Away!

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Hi Kelsey!!

What are the most important things (besides cost and availability) to consider when choosing a venue?

Thank you! :)
    Hi @Knottie17463581 great question! So there is definitely a lot more to picking your dream wedding venue besides just the cost and availability! You should take into consideration what the venue includes in their wedding packages for that price. For example, some venues offer an all-inclusive option that provides everything from ceremony to cocktail hour, 3-course dinner, dessert/custom wedding cake, decor, etc. 

Meanwhile, other venues just include the bare bones site fee, and you will need to bring in catering and rentals, which is totally fine too! In addition, be sure to look for special features, do you want an outdoor space? If so, is there a back-up plan for rain? These are all important things to consider!! I hope this helps! 

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Do I need to get wedding insurance when I choose a venue?
  • Hi Kelsey

After I’ve booked my venue, what should I book next?   
  • Hi! I'm new to the knot and community, saw this on twitter :)

I just got engaged in February (Valentine's day!). What are some questions I should ask the venue when I go to visit next week?
  • What are some perks or discounts that venues might be willing to throw in if asked?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Hi @Knottie1427999139 ! Luckily, most venues provide liability insurance in the venue contract but definitely double check to make sure you have it, to cover all your bases! If they do not provide it then it is probably a pretty smart idea to invest in insurance, just in case anything goes wrong at the venue or someone gets hurt! (Fingers crossed that won't happen) However, insurance is actually really affordable and more often than not you are able to tack it on to any existing insurance plan you or your family has! Best of luck!

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Hi Kelsey, I have a limited budget. What's the best way to find venues in a specific price range? And, do you have tips for keeping the venue cost down? 

Hi Kelsey

After I’ve booked my venue, what should I book next?   
    Hi there! Congratulations on booking your venue, that is such a big step and very exciting! Next, you will want to really prioritize which vendor is most important to you! For example, if there is a photographer you absolutely must have at your wedding then you will want to book them as soon as possible, or if entertainment such as a DJ, or amazing live band are of utmost importance to you then definitely meet with them right away. 

In addition, you will of course want to finalize your guest list and get your save-the-dates out at least 6 months in advance, especially if you expect a lot of out-of-town guests! I hope this helps. 

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Thank you @KelseyTKConcierge! I'll look into the insurance more. Appreciate the advice! 
    December 15, 2015
    Love.laugh.Be Married
    Can't wait!

Hi! I'm new to the knot and community, saw this on twitter :)

I just got engaged in February (Valentine's day!). What are some questions I should ask the venue when I go to visit next week?
    Hello =) 

Congratulations on your engagement, that is so exciting! (And ROMANTIC!) It is great that you are going on venue tours already, because you definitely want to secure your preferred wedding date as soon as possible. 

When you go on your tour make sure to outline the exact costs, and what they include, as well as when the initial deposit is due, and proof of liability insurance. In addition, make sure you tell them your exact date/time so there is no confusion. Check out our check list of questions to ask for more in-depth information: https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-reception-site-contract-points

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Thx! very helpful

What are some perks or discounts that venues might be willing to throw in if asked?

Hi!! 

Great question, there are definitely some venues that offer amazing perks in their wedding packages. For instance if there is a guest minimum of 150 and you only expect 100 guests, sometimes the venue will throw in some extra appetizers, champagne toast,or gourmet treats to help meet your minimum spend! 

However, we don't encourage you to push perks or discounts, because they are a business and still need to make money ;) but the best time to save is by considering a Friday or Sunday wedding in addition to off-peak days! I hope this helps. 

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Hi!!

I always dreamed about having an outdoor reception...but I just attended a wedding that was outside and it rained! It was awful. The whole thing was totally unprepared for the rain. What are some things I should do to make sure that does not happen???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hi Kelsey, I have a limited budget. What's the best way to find venues in a specific price range? And, do you have tips for keeping the venue cost down? 

Hi there!! 

Congratulations on your wedding, this is such an exciting time!! I know planning a wedding can get expensive, but luckily there are truly so many ways to save! The biggest way to cut down on costs is to keep your guest list down. If you invite 100 guests vs. 150-200 guests this can seriously be a HUGE difference, because that's a lot of mouths to feed a gourmet meal and open-bar to! 

Consider off-peak dates, which is typically November-March, (depending on where you're located) and also think about having your wedding on a Friday/Sunday evening! There are so many amazing venues that offer options for dates like this, where you can save almost half of what the average price is! You may even want to consider a fun afternoon brunch wedding! Best of luck!!

XOXO,
    Kelsey

Hi!!

I always dreamed about having an outdoor reception...but I just attended a wedding that was outside and it rained! It was awful. The whole thing was totally unprepared for the rain. What are some things I should do to make sure that does not happen???
    Hi there!!

Congratulations on your engagement!! I absolutely love a good outdoor wedding, and while they can be so beautiful you DO need a back-up plan for bad weather. You may want to consider a venue that has an indoor space available if you need, but I also recommend a heavy duty tent! Tented weddings can be so gorgeous, and there are really so many different styles and types of tents, many that are also quite durable and can withstand strong winds and rain. If your heart is sent on an outdoor wedding, then you will want to invest in this, and also have a team prepared to move things around quickly in the event that rain crashes your wedding! Outdoor weddings always require a plan B-just in case!

XOXO,
    Kelsey
  • Thanks! Keeping the guest list down will be sooooooooo hard (big, big family). I'll look into off peak dates. Friday and Sunday are totally options. Thx so much. 
    December 15, 2015
    Love.laugh.Be Married
    Can't wait!
  • KnotRileyKnotRiley admin
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    That’s all Kelsey has time for today, thanks so much for joining us and all your questions!

If you’d like to know more about The Knot Venue Concierge click on this link! Please note, they are currently not open in all regions yet. Please see the list of regions below that they’re currently open in and keep an eye on your local board for when they open in your region!

The Knot Venue Concierge Regions:
    New Jersey
    Manhattan
    Long Island
    Upstate New York

Coming soon!
    Connecticut
    New Hampshire

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards