Chit Chat
Options

What's the healthiest thing you do?

NWR:  I'm curious - could you name one or a few things that you do to stay healthy?  It could be something really small related to what you eat (or don't eat), an activity or exercise you do to maintain physical or mental health.  Or something in particular you do (or place you go to) when you're not feeling right.  I'm hoping to compile a list that could help us all.

Mine: eating oatmeal every morning.

Re: What's the healthiest thing you do?

• Options
    I drink a TON of water. The only thing I drink that's not water is coffee. 

I also don't snack. It's just not a habit I've ever really had. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I drink a ton of water, and do 30-45 mins of cardio every day along with a yoga class/other workout class after work.

I try to cut down on dairy and carbs during the week (because I find it makes me very bloated) and stick to brown rice/quinoa as my "grain" instead. Then I'll indulge on the weekend.

I've started making my own breakfast smoothies in the morning and I'm also gonna start biking to work once the weather warms up! :)

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    I just recently cut out soft drinks about 2 months ago, and I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel.

I've also been trying to eat smaller portions and cut out snacking (which is difficult bc I work at a desk right across the hall from the break room with all the vending machines, ugh). 

I need to exercise more though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I always give myself a "me night" where I do my favorite things i.e. painting, reading, bubble baths. It really helps keep me mentally healthy and happy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I make sure to sleep at least eight hours every night. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I don't drink pop. I cut it out about 2 years ago and don't actually even enjoy it anymore.

I also go for hour long, outside walks at least 4 times a week. I find if I have a headache or am feeling sluggish, if i force myself to get outside and moving I feel better almost instantly.
  • Options
    I walk 4K round-trip to work every day so I get about an hour of light exercise even when I don't want to go near "real" exercise. Plus the being outside helps my mood and the vitamin D production I need living up here.

And I weigh all my damn food on a food scale so I always know how much I'm actually eating, which is occasionally crazy-making but is extremely effective for weight maintenance/loss.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I walk daily, sleep plenty, drink a lot of water.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I cut way way way down on refined sugar-- no more candy or soda, and usually no dessert/sweets/cookies/office birthday cake/whatever else shows up. So I pretty much only drink water, or unsweetened tea (or liquor ;)

We cook at home 90% of the time (for health reasons but also to save money) and make a lot of things from scratch, especially sauces. That way we can control things like salt content, plus a lot of store-bought sauces contain refined sugar so we can avoid that by making stuff ourselves. 

For a long time I was riding my bike at least twice a week. I bought a stationary trainer so I could ride it indoors during the winter when it was too nasty to ride outside. However, I got a really nasty sinus infection so I stopped riding for a few weeks and fell out of the habit. Now my bike is piled with clothes that need to be put away. Womp womp. 

Oh and another big thing-- stand up. If you have a job/lifestyle where you're sitting a lot, you should stand up at least every 2 hours. It's good for your back, joints, blood flow, etc. Some studies indicate that standing stationary is actually healthier for your body than walking around. And all the studies I've come across definitively show that sitting for long periods of time is extremely unhealthy and linked to things beyond the obvious (like heart disease and diabetes) such as breast cancer. It's crazy. So get up! 
  • Options
    I try to go for a walk/run on one of the urban trails near my apartment every weekend when the weather is nice. Not so much because it's "healthy" but just because I like it. Sometimes I end up stopping for a donut or a margarita along the way. Not so healthy I guess...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We eat pretty healthy, and I'm usually good about that when going out.  Steak with veg on the side is pretty good at restaurants, and tasty too.  I also get some form of exercise at least 4-5 days a week.  Teaching PE helps too.  And I'm going for at least 7-8 hours a night.  

• Options
    I very rarely go without sleep. I do not function without sleep. I generally get 8 hours, if we dip around 6 or less we are in big trouble. Never been one to pull all-nighters, I'm better off with my brain functioning intact than with some last minute cramming. 

I drink a ton of water. Never been a big soda drinker. Don't buy much junk other than some reduced sugar ice cream. 

Mentally, riding my horse helps more than anything. I think because it's both physically and mentally engaging. I'm selling her though so I hope I can find a substitute. :( Some people describe exercise as being similarly mind-clearing, but it just doesn't do it for me. 

Me-time is super important. I don't care wtf else is going on, if I don't spend some time on my own doing whatever for a bit each day I go nuts. 

I'm in nursing school and a lot of people claim to never ever have free time ever. Bitch, my free time > study time. If I end up doing not so well on a test or two, oh well, but taking time to enjoy myself or just goof off is super important. 
  • Options

I'm really great with dental heath. I brush twice a day, never skipping and floss about every other day. DH will be lying in bed watching tv for a few hours before sleep time and then he will just say I'm too comfy to get up and he'll go to sleep without brushing. This infuriates and disgusts me- I always get up and brush no matter what.

I don't smoke or drink (that probably sounds pretty standard/ normal but I'll throw it in there).

• Options
    • I don't drink during the week, and infrequently on weekends.
    • 8 hours of sleep
    • work out 3-5x a week
    • pack my lunch for work
    • go on walks after work with the family
    • eat breakfast every day.
    • take the medicine that is prescribed to me
    • vitamins
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't eat many processed foods/pretty much only eat whole foods.  I exercise most days (maybe 6 days a week).  I love running, so it's not a chore for me, and I actually look forward to it.  On the days I don't run I usually go to a yoga or Pilates class or do a workout at home (insanity or T-25 are my favorites).  I also get at least 8 hours of sleep..also, not a chore.  I love sleeping.
  • Options
    I work out at least 4x per week, 2 of those times intensely. Usually it comes out to be more like 5 or 6 days in the spring and summer, depending on my softball and basketball schedules.

I started doing 2 intense workouts per week a few years ago, and recently bumped up my "scheduled, official" workouts to 4. Doing it gradually helped, but now that it's in my routine it's a lot easier to stick to. I feel like crap when I slack off, so I guess it's working?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

My biggest thing is water, I drink a lot of it, and the only other drink I have besides water is coffee, and occasionally wine or champagne on special occasions.

I also try to workout 2-3x a week.  Sometimes this just doesn't happen due to crazy schedules, but I do try to make it work.

I eat whatever I want. I have been successful in cutting out refined sugars for the most part, but I eat pretty much anything and watch my portions.  I feel like that works best for me rather than a super strict diet.

• Options
    I think a big thing for me is I try to cook most things from scratch. I haven't been as good at that lately since I've been super busy, but I pretty much don't ever buy ready made meals. Those things are nasty and don't really safe much if any time. 

Working out has taken a backslide, but I do have a border collie so that forces me to walk at least a couple miles each day, or else he would spontaneously combust or something. 
  • Options
    mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    The healthiest thing I do is run and east kale. I try to run 2-3 times a week, for a mile but my FI goes with me and encourages me to go farther each time. 

I have to eat kale at least a couple times a week. I have very low Iron and so I make that awesome smoothie that tastes like strawberries and peaches but has two cups of kale in it!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I walk everyday, drink about a gallon of water a day,and eat fruit like crazy.
  • Options
    I drink a lot of water, stay away from processed foods and try to do something active every day. That includes sex.
  • Options
    Water, fruit, vegetables, chicken.

• Options
    I have fruit or vegetables with every meal, and I do not eat fried food. When I do cardio, I go for 45 minutes to 50 minutes. I lost a lot of weight using the step-mill, so I am back to doing that at the gym. Also, intervals are great, on the treadmill. I cannot wait for the summer so I can go kayaking again!
  • Options
    I get enough sleep, I take prescribed medications, I don't drink pop, I value my mental and emotional health (I do what I need to do for me, such as going to therapy and keeping good positive people in my life and removing negative people who hurt me), I like to make myself fruit shakes, and I walk a lot.
  • Options
    When the weather is nice I park 1.5km away from work and walk the rest of the way. I go to yoga 2-4 times a week. I don't drink a lot of pop or alcohol. I eat whole grains and try to include a protein, a fruit and a vegetable with every meal. I pack my lunch and snacks and rarely eat out.

We always had dessert with lunch and dinner growing up. I tried to cut that out but it didn't go well so now I'm trying healthier dessert options like fruit or zucchini brownies. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    There are a lot of things I'm working on. 

I'm pretty good about drinking water - but I have to remind myself daily to do so.

I just started working out regularly again - and I'm feeling great (3-4x/wk)

I love sleep - and I do best on 7-8hrs/night, so I try to make sure I get that. 

Starting to eat healthier in general - but the things I'm focusing on right now are reduced refined sugar, cut out pop, increased fruits and veggies, and counting calories with My Fitness Pal. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards