Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday Teetotalors

Hi everyone! I read somewhere that today (or was it yesterday?) was the anniversary of the Prohibition Act getting struck down so we should all drink a beer!

So I thought it'd be fun to do a booze thread.

What's your go to drink of choice?

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose?

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they?

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)!

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices?

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Add your questions if you can think of anything else!

Re: Tuesday Teetotalors

• Sean and I are going to go visit a daycare today! I'm kind of nervous/excited because they are already registering for the Fall and I'm like, "JSHDIUBICUSFKUGAKUHGD" so hopefully we will be ok for December when I'm off Maternity Leave.

Also I'm going to call my insurance company about getting me a free breastpump whoop whoop!

Currently it's juice or gatorade but when not pregnant, I like wine or vodka with fruit juice.

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose?
    I would give up hard liquor definitely. If I could only choose to drink one for the rest of my life it would probably be wine.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they?
    Ours doesn't really. It kind of sucks we can't buy alcohol at restaurants prior to 11:00 or something like that especially if we are out to brunch. At least now they are selling it on Sundays.
    Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)!
    We made this cocktail my freshman year of college called something ridiculous and it had spree, just plain grain alcohol (ugh), and mountain dew. It set us on our booties.
    Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices?
    I would rather go to a dry wedding with really good food and virgin drinks I think then pay for my alcohol lol. I'm cheep.
  • jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    @labro -

What's your go to drink of choice? Either Bud Light or Pinot Grigio.

If you
    had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life,
    which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink,
    which would you choose? Probably would give up hard liquor. I enjoy all those fruity cocktails and margaritas, but if I could make champagne cocktails I'd be fine. If I could choose only one.....hmm..probably champagne? Most versatile.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Um...YES. Massachusetts does not allow happy hour or any alcohol "specials". No bottomless mimosas, etc. WTF?? And it was only about 10 years ago that we even started selling alcohol on Sundays. And for the most part you can only buy beer/wine/alcohol at liquor stores....there are maybe 2-3 grocery stores that I know of that carry beer/wine, but that's it. It's so inconvenient!

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! Flaming Dr Pepper...I've never even had one or seen one made in person but I just know of them:

Would
    you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good
    food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally
    good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? Oooooh good question....hmm..I'm going to be THAT asshole and choose secret option C: go to the dry wedding and sneak in a flask and/or nips.

ETF: bolding
  • What's your go to drink of choice?
    If I'm out to dinner, I always order wine. If I'm drinking at home or at a bar, I always drink beer. 

I would give up liquor forever. I would drink beer forever and always.

You can't buy any type of alcohol in a grocery store, convenience store, gas station, etc. It's all sold at one type of store (which I just call a liquor store). 

H and I ate at Barton G's in Miami last year and they have crazy weird things on the menu. Their specialty cocktails all come out smoking from liquid nitrogen:

I'd always rather have booze. 

• labro said:

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Yep! Until a few years ago, you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays in Georgia. Now you can after 12:30. Apparently Jesus doesn't like brunch or mimosas or other early morning drinks. We tried to pass a law this year to allow restaurants to serve starting at 10:30 but it failed. Personally, I don't see the big deal. OH! And you can buy wine directly from a winery but you can't buy beer directly from a brewery or hard liquor directly from a distillery. How stupid is that?

Agree about Jesus not liking mimosas....wtf is up with that??? Rude. Also that grilled cheese bloody mary looks divine....
  • Good morning!  I'm going to start off with some chat and then answer your boozy questions!

Yesterday I totally nailed my first run since my surgery.  I was slow, but I didn't stop! 

Tonight is going to be pretty busy.  My housekeeper is coming today to do a quick touch-up clean, so I'm looking forward to shiny floors when I get home.  Dinner is kalua pork in the crockpot and I'm going to make a quick arugula pasta salad to go with it.  We need to prep the storm cellar because we've got a good chance of severe weather tomorrow, and I need to hoe the garden because weeds are trying to take over already.

I got the pending offer yesterday for the new job, and they are working on coming up with a sign-on bonus for me to help compensate for the pay cut.  Woo-hoo!!!

What's your go to drink of choice?  We don't drink alcohol for the most part, but once in a while (like once or twice a year) I'll have a bit of sweet wine.

If you
    which would you choose? 
    Even though we don't drink alcohol, I love to cook with it.  I would have a hard time giving up red wine, whiskey, and beer.  In fact, we're having boozy dinners twice next week...  Guinness pizza dough and honey porter grilled chicken!  YUM.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they?  I guess we have pretty strict alcohol laws.  I get all of our booze at the liquor store when I need it.  I do know that you can get some alcohol in the grocery store or gas stations, but I think it's low-point only?  That's the extent of my alcohol knowledge.  Lame.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)!  This Lemon-Gin Fizzy Punch sounds good, minus the mint leaves.  I'm not a fan of mint.  LINK

Would
    good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? 
    Dry wedding.

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    jenjen047 said:

labro said:

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Yep! Until a few years ago, you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays in Georgia. Now you can after 12:30. Apparently Jesus doesn't like brunch or mimosas or other early morning drinks. We tried to pass a law this year to allow restaurants to serve starting at 10:30 but it failed. Personally, I don't see the big deal. OH! And you can buy wine directly from a winery but you can't buy beer directly from a brewery or hard liquor directly from a distillery. How stupid is that?

Agree about Jesus not liking mimosas....wtf is up with that??? Rude. Also that grilled cheese bloody mary looks divine....
    @labro - Boozy brunch is made for Saturdays -- so you don't have to go to work with a hangover the next day ;)

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Swazzle said:

jenjen047 said:

labro said:

@labro - Boozy brunch is made for Saturdays -- so you don't have to go to work with a hangover the next day ;)
    All the BEST brunch places around here have Sunday brunch though. :( It just means you need to show up for a snack at like...11:30 and nibble until you can order your mimosa and the real fun begins.

• @labro - Those grilled cheese and Bloody Mary's are adorable!!  I haven't seen that before.
  • untouchabletsuntouchablets member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    OOH A BOOZE THREAD!!

My drink of choice is le margarita.

That said, I would give up hard liquor because I prefer beer or wine with dinner and rarely go out drinking. I would drink beer forever.

I don't actually know if my area has weird alcohol laws ,but considering how bars outnumber every other business in this town I'm gonna go with no.

I once drank a pickleback, which is a shot of whiskey chased with a shot of pickle juice and I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY AND GROSS BUT IT WAS TOTALLY AMAZING and I think about it all. the. time.

I would pay for drinks at a wedding because I have social anxiety and hate large groups, and alcohol always helps.

• @untouchablets - I love pickle back shots. Although I would honestly prefer it if they could hold the whiskey. Pickle juice is my fave <3

• What's your go to drink of choice? Mojitos are my favorite.

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up?  I'd give up wine because it makes me sick so I really shouldn't drink it anyway.

If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? If I had to choose one I'd choose hard liquor.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Not really that I'm aware of. Grocery stores have to sell the beer with lower alcohol content and no hard liquor. but I think that's somewhat common.

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? Dry wedding, hands down.

Whiskey Sour as far as alcohol goes

If you
    which would you choose?

Beer - I would stick with whiskey

It's illegal to get a fish drunk

I'm not that creative :(  and I rarely drink

Would
    good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices?

Dry wedding - because as I stated above, I rarely drink

Anniversary
  • @labro you are my new favorite person EVER. I love that you put on your dress, grabbed wine, and watched cheesy TV. We totally need to get together one day and do that!
    What's your go to drink of choice? It varies... if I'm being calorie conscious, I'll drink a vodka water with Mio/Crystal Light in it. If we're drinking beer, I'll usually go for a wheat ale like Blue Moon. If we're drinking wine, I usually opt for a cabernet, but I also enjoy moscato too. I don't really think of moscato as wine though. If I'm not calorie conscious but drinking hard liquor, I'll opt for a whiskey and coke or a cherry vodka sour. I really don't discriminate when it comes to alcohol.

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? Hard liquor. It messes me up more than beer and wine do.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? We can't buy liquor past 9pm Monday-Saturday, and no beer and wine after midnight. You can't buy any alcohol at all on Sundays, though restaurants can serve it.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! I've never had this, but a local place here is famous for it's  brunch. They serve stuff like this: 

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? I'd rather go to the dry wedding with good food. I love food.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @CocoBellaF Oklahoma is known for it's low-point beer. I think they only allow 3% or something. When a lot of my friends go to Choctaw, they load up on beer here and bring it in with them. 

• OOH A BOOZE THREAD!!

My drink of choice is le margarita.

That said, I would give up hard liquor because I prefer beer or wine with dinner and rarely go out drinking. I would drink beer forever.

I don't actually know if my area has weird alcohol laws ,but considering how bars outnumber every other business in this town I'm gonna go with no.

I once drank a pickleback, which is a shot of whiskey chased with a shot of pickle juice and I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY AND GROSS BUT IT WAS TOTALLY AMAZING and I think about it all. the. time.

I would pay for drinks at a wedding because I have social anxiety and hate large groups, and alcohol always helps.

I've heard of  this before and everyone says it's delicious...
  • It IS national beer day, yea!!

What's your go to drink of choice? It depends on the day but I love vodka in general, beer and wine. I love a great dirty martini with a good vodka but lately watching calories I drink spicy bloody marys a lot. If the bloody mary comes with food, not a pickle spear, that's even better! I love wine (pinot nior) and an ice cold beer (Stella is my 1st choice).

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? I could give up hard liquor and beer and just drink wine but I would certainly miss the other two very much!

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? We can not buy anything on Sunday in MN unless it is from a grocer and they are only permitted to sell beer that contains no more than 3.2% alcohol by volume beer (I don't live from WI so sometimes I drive there on long weekends)

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! I have no idea but I was recently spending a lot of time trying to make my own perfect blend of bloody mary with a smokey flavor, bacon and spice (I have tried several different vodkas including cucumber). I have taken a break from that so my wallet can gain some weight.....expensive hobby!

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? Pay for my liquor! (Are you not supposed to pay for your liqupr at weddings because where I live it is common to MAYBE have beer and wine hosted the rest cash) I myself never thought to have a fully hosted bar if I ever get married but would have a couple hosted speciality drinks maybe.

Fun thread @labro!!! Thanks! Aaaand, now I want a drink at 9:30 am....
    BM.jpg 64.1K
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • @TwoDimes This is definitely happening! We must recreate that scene!

• Drink of choice: Blue Moon (I'm a beer girl, and a boring one at that)

I would give up wine and only drink beer.

No crazy laws in MD that I'm aware of.

When I was in Ireland, one of the bartenders at the pub we really liked made something caked a Kanulla (I have no idea how it's spelled, but she named it after herself). Just some white chocolate and banana liqueur, and then fill the rest of the glass with milk. It's basically an alcoholic banana milkshake. <3

Sorry, but I would pick good food and soda over alcohol anytime, regardless of whether it's a cash bar or not.
  • AlPacinaAlPacina member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

What's your go to drink of choice? Whiskey Ginger, hands down.

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? This is tough for me. I'm going to say I'd give up wine, which sounds awful because I love wine. I just also love margaritas and whiskey, and drinking beer keeps my friendships alive. If I could only drink one, I would pick hard liquor, since it's more versatile.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? We can't buy liquor in grocery stores, even though I used to be able to when I lived in Washington. The up side is, I used to have to drive to Oregon to buy 190 proof everclear. Washington's isn't allowed to be that strong. Nothing ridiculous though.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! I love layered neon drinks. Unfortunately they only tend to serve them at the kinds of bars that I hate going to.
    Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? I have money. I can pay for drinks. That's why being an adult with a job is awesome.

-------------------------------

@labro - You are too freakin cute, lady.

@CocoBellaF - Your boozy dinners sound fabulous!

If I'm having a cocktail with dinner I usually order a Lemon Drop Martini. If I'm just out at a bar it's usually sprite with some kind of flavored vodka like orange or whipped.

I don't like beer or wine so I choose liquor to keep obviously.

I'm really not very knowledgable about the laws. Like my friend from NJ was telling me that it's ridiculous how she couldn't have an alhoholic beverage with her brunch here in MA. I had no idea since I don't usually do brunch or drink in the morning. 
    Within the last 10 years or so liqour stores weren't open on Sundays. People in MA used to drive to NH on Sundays to buy alchohol. It's also so weird to me that when I go to NH there's beer in convenience stores.

I'm really boring and I'm not good at mixing things to come up with something tasty! My dad did come up with a martini that was something like a Milky Way I think.

Honestly, I'm used to cash bars so I have no problem with buying my drinks.

Captain & Coke

I'd give up hard liquor. I could easily drink wine or beer for the rest of my life.

Yes.. only wine/liquor stores can sell alcohol. Which means I can't pick up wine will grocery shopping, and no Trader Joe's wine for me... boo

Once a long, long time ago (2002?) I was out celebrating a friends birthday and a group of maybe 8 of us ended up at his apartment once the bars closed. He had these ingredients: Tequila, Gin, Sprite and blue Powerade. We played a game where each person came up with a shot and we all tried it. They were all disgusting. The end.

I guess the second one so that I could at least have a glass of wine with my dinner. I guess if it was a lunch reception or finger foods, I would be ok with no alcohol?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Non-alcoholic: water    Alcoholic: Blue moon or a similar beer

I would say hard liquor. I've had more bad nights from it than good! I would be perfectly fine with drinking water everyday for the rest of my life.

No liquor or beer at any store besides the liquor stores! I envy states that have them in the market or convenience store. We also have shortened hours on Sundays.

Brass Monkey:
    imagebecause I am so classy!

I would rather pay for my drinks to be honest. Unless it was a small family wedding then I could go dry. But if it's a larger wedding with people I don't know...then yeah, I need something to drink.

ETF: stupid picture
  • I like this thread!  It's keeping me from my grading, which I much appreciate.  :-)

Red wine, hands down.  Everybody always kids me because it's all I have in the house.  The drier the better, and I love red blends.  My favorite is the "Apothic Dark" one, but it's limited edition so it's really hard to find.

Hard liquor.  I love a good cocktail sometimes, but I'd be perfectly content just drinking wine forever.

Oh, Oklahoma.  Let me count thy strange liquor laws:
    1) There are 2 different strengths of beer here.  The one they sell in grocery stores/gas stations is 3.2% ABV.  Anything stronger has to get sold in a liquor store.  You can't buy anything other than 3.2% ABV beer in a grocery store or gas station (so, no wine or full-strength beer).
    2) You can't buy anything cold in a liquor store--meaning no chilled white wine or champagne, and no cold full-strength beer.
    3) Liquor stores are always closed on Sundays.  Until recently, they were also required to be closed on election days until the polls closed.
    4) Breweries cannot sell beer at their actual location.  They have to package it and send it to a liquor store.
    5) Whether or not you can buy liquor in a restaurant on a Sunday differs from county to county.  My county says no, the county where Oklahoma City is says yes.

Um...I'm boring.  If I drink a cocktail it's a tequila sunrise.

This is hard, because it all comes down to the food.  If the food is amazing, I want wine to compliment it, and I'd probably be okay paying for drinks.  That said, most of the weddings I go to are dry, so that would be okay too I guess.
  • What's your go to drink of choice? Either white wine or Bud Light. I'm three sips away from "woo!" at any given time, so there's no point in giving me the "good stuff."

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? I'll give up hard liquor. If I can only have one ... ugh, I'll keep the beer. At least it's an appropriate football beverage.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? I'm pretty sure you can't purchase alcohol here on Sundays before noon.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! Oh I've got nothing here. I like @swazzle's liquid nitrogen cocktails, though - how fun!

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? I'll pay. Cash bar is extremely common in my circle, so this would be normal.
  • What's your go to drink of choice? Lately, Mimosas. 

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? I'd give up hard liquor. I'd choose beer to drink.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Not reaaaaaaaaly, except the booze curfew. You can't buy alcohol from the store, after midnight. But you can still drink at the bar until whenever their closing time is (Typically 1-2am in VA and later sometimes in DC)

I'm not creative. Give me a mimosa and I'm happy as a clam.

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? I'd rather pay. But I also might be rotten and just bring a bottle in my purse and excuse myself to the bathroom to mix my own drinks. I did that at a dry wedding. 
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @TwoDimes Thanks for the tips! I had no idea! I am literally going over every single wedding I have ever attended with this information and there has NEVER been one I have gone to where at some point the guests didn't have to pay. I have seen first $1000, first hour, first keg, first few bottles of wine, rail drinks, house beers/wines etc. are free and then you pay. Every.single.one.

I went to one October for my cousin and it was free rail drinks, beer and house wine. All other liquors had to be purchased (there was a budget set for the free stuff but they never ended up hitting it so those items were free all night). The one I attended last May for another cousin gave us two drink tickets during the receiving line but again only covered a few items. This is crazy! LOL

• Saint Paul, MN
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards