Pre-wedding Parties

Rehearsal Dinner

I realize I am coming off as Bridezilla right now. My future in laws have decided to pay for our rehearsal dinner which I am grateful for and realize how pricey they can be. Our wedding is on cape cod and if anyone has any idea how busy the cape is during July. It's insane! Any suggestions on how I can get them moving on the rehearsal dinner without being a controlling person and jeopardizing a relationship. 

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• I realize I am coming off as Bridezilla right now. My future in laws have decided to pay for our rehearsal dinner which I am grateful for and realize how pricey they can be. Our wedding is on cape cod and if anyone has any idea how busy the cape is during July. It's insane! Any suggestions on how I can get them moving on the rehearsal dinner without being a controlling person and jeopardizing a relationship. 

Nope, no ideas.  I mean the only thing that your FI could do (since it is his parents) is to ask them if they need a headcount/names and addresses in regards to who will be at the actual rehearsal.  Other then that, there is nothing that you should do or say.  This is their party to plan and worry about.  

If for some reason they crap out and don't plan anything then pizza and soda outside at a park is a great last minute option that you and your FI could throw together.

• Yeah. You really just have to sit on your hands for this one. (I know that is super hard!)

When they offered to host, and when you accepted, you kind of turned over the ropes to them. If they wait too long and cannot find a place then they have to figure that out. If at the last minute they turn it back over to you without anything planned then, yes that will suck, but that is on them not you. I agree with the PP, if it turns out you are having a RD at a pizza place then it is what it is.
  • You could have your FI explain to them that if they don't book something, you're going to end up eating pizza in the hotel lobby.

If they don't budge and you're that worried about it, tell them you can't wait any longer and you'll be hosting and booking it yourselves.
    *********************************************************************************

• I would approach the MI and just let her know how excited you are and can't wait for the dinner, and how grateful you are that they want to be a apart of such a special event. Then I would just dive in and start talking about decorations and the food, and slip in the reservation like... and I've been making a few calls and they are BOOKED!! So we need to finalize the place and make sure we have a spot or we will be eating on the beach on a log! LOL Make it humorous but kinda serious.
  • I would approach the MI and just let her know how excited you are and can't wait for the dinner, and how grateful you are that they want to be a apart of such a special event. Then I would just dive in and start talking about decorations and the food, and slip in the reservation like... and I've been making a few calls and they are BOOKED!! So we need to finalize the place and make sure we have a spot or we will be eating on the beach on a log! LOL Make it humorous but kinda serious.

I would not do any of those things.

Anniversary

Woah, that's way too pushy and rude!

Don't do any of this. Instead, assume that they will take care of it since they've offered, and have your FI offer the guest list. If they have to scramble at the last minute, that's their problem. If they back out at the last minute, you can do something casual and easy. 

If you want to plan the RD, decline their offer to host and pay for it yourself. 
  • Thanks for the advice everyone! I have come to the conclusion if we have pizza then thats what it is. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards