Attire & Accessories Forum

NWR: Diamonds and Denim?

Okay so my younger cousins bar mitzvah invite came in the mail today. The suggested attire is diamonds and denim. What does that even look like?

My FI and I have no idea what to wear and we don't want to come over or under dressed.

If anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate it.

Re: NWR: Diamonds and Denim?

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    In addition to @ashley8918 's post, I'm imagining bedazzled denim jackets

In all seriousness, I have no clue what "diamonds and denim" would even entail. What do you normally wear to bar or bat mitzvah's? I would probably ignore the suggested attire in that case. Perhaps if you're really curious you could ask around what other people are wearing but I'm sure a lot of people will ignore the disclaimer, imo.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited April 2015
    I would probably wear dark jeans with nice heels and a dressy top and blingy jewelry. While seriously side-eyeing the host.

ETA: It also brought to my mind 'My Super Sweet 16.' I'm pretty sure one episode I saw on there featured a bat mitzvah rather than a 16th b-day that was similarly over the top.
  • I went to a charity event once whose theme was "Diamonds and Denim". I wore a white blouse with some blingy details, dark dressy jeans and sparkly pumps. This is pretty much what the majority wore. That being said, I used to work for a catering company who did a lot of bar/bat mitzvahs and these were mostly pretty formal events with even the kids in cocktail dresses and suits. I would clarify with the hosts to see if jeans are actually what they meant. 
  • I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, but I'd wear jeans and a sequined top, probably with some glittery shoes. But I own that stuff already - I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What an odd request. I have no idea. 
  • Because alliteration makes anything a fun theme! >.<

I've lost faith in humanity after a Google image search revealed a bazillion other events using this "theme."

• Uh, what?

Just for shits, I would ask her what she's wearing. She probably has something youneek picked out or she wouldn't have picked this ridiculous theme. And then wear whatever I felt like wearing that day.
    *********************************************************************************

• These invites come periodically for horse-related things.  You'll probably see a lot of jeans, sparkly tops, and a lot of rhinestones.  Some denim short dresses and lots of costume necklaces.

It's not my thing, but it enables people to wear boots to horse functions, which comes in handy in fields and sand horse rings/tracks.

Here's pics from the society section at one of the semi-recent ones:
  • OMG I'm dying, your pictures have me cracking up!

My parents were also wondering about the attire, so I called the bar mitzvah boy to ask what he meant by diamonds and denim. He said that he has an outfit that's "dope as fuck," and that he is happy we are coming. Not getting much out of him, I spoke with my older cousin and confirmed that diamonds and denim means jeans, whatever you want and a top if you aren't wearing a dress.

Personally, I have no idea why they couldn't just put active wear (they're transforming a local catering hall by adding blow up rock climbing walls, obsticle courses and they have blow up sumo suits)... I guess diamonds and denim sounds cooler and is a popular attire request amongst the youths.

I cannot wait to see what attire the bar mitzvah boy considers "dope as fuck". I'm taking pictures. Enough said.

• Diamonds and denim, for when you want to flaunt you have money, but none of the class associated with having money.

Anniversary
  • Yes, please report back with pictures.

I've lost faith in humanity after a Google image search revealed a bazillion other events using this "theme."
    Why no PIP? Don't make the rest of us Google it too!

Here, I'll start.

(omg so 80s)

That first picture.... that... thats painted on her.... right???
    Also wear this!!!
  • Yaaaaaaaaaaays. I will wear that dress but I need something denim. A hat perhaps?
  • edited April 2015
    I can't wait to see pictures!

Also, 'dope as fuck,' really, kid?? Don't people have bar/bat mitzvahs when they're like 13? And I thought they were supposed to be serious/meaningful religious occasions, but to be fair I am not Jewish and know relatively little about them.

ETA: Wear this hat, please:

• I asked the 11 year old girl I watch if she's ever been to a bar/bat mitzvah or sweet 16 that has a denim/diamonds theme. She also said what PPs said- Jeans with a nice top and maybe some cute jewelry and shoes. Fancy but still casual.

• Wow...this attire request makes "Black tie Optional" seem down right reasonble.
  • aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2015

OMG I'm dying, your pictures have me cracking up!

My parents were also wondering about the attire, so I called the bar mitzvah boy to ask what he meant by diamonds and denim. He said that he has an outfit that's "dope as fuck," and that he is happy we are coming. Not getting much out of him, I spoke with my older cousin and confirmed that diamonds and denim means jeans, whatever you want and a top if you aren't wearing a dress.

Personally, I have no idea why they couldn't just put active wear (they're transforming a local catering hall by adding blow up rock climbing walls, obsticle courses and they have blow up sumo suits)... I guess diamonds and denim sounds cooler and is a popular attire request amongst the youths.

I cannot wait to see what attire the bar mitzvah boy considers "dope as fuck". I'm taking pictures. Enough said.

Just read this...OMG

I love it. I am not Jewish but I cannot imagine anyone talking about anything related to a bar mitzvah as "Dope as FU**"  I know there will be a big party but isn't this a somewhat serious occasion?

SO funny!
  • Would this qualify as "dope as fuck?"

BabyFruit Ticker

Why no PIP? Don't make the rest of us Google it too!
    Lol sorry, I meant I got a bunch of other event logos!

• That side of the family is very laid back. I think his older brothers bar mitzvahs theme was hip hop albums. The older one says it all the time, so I think the younger one is just following his lead.
  • Also, he said his outfit is dope as fuck. Not the service or anything affiliated with the religious portion. There's also a gap.
  • KatWAG said:

Would this qualify as "dope as fuck?"

That most definitely qualifies as DAF. I don't know if that's an acronym yet but I'm making it one now.

• hellohkb said:

KatWAG said:

Would this qualify as "dope as fuck?"

That most definitely qualifies as DAF. I don't know if that's an acronym yet but I'm making it one now.

Its Queen B in her early years. So has to be DAF!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Every single post in this thread made my day. And I am absolutely 100% now going to throw my husband a Dope As Fuck Diamonds and Denim themed birthday party. 
  • @jenijoyk I am glad that I could help you choose a theme for your husband's birthday party! 

I am now questioning if I should go with a denim dress...or just with the skinny jeans and a nice top. The Bar Mitzvah is in late May. I've included two pictures of what I think are cute denim dresses (that I would totally wear again). What do you think?

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

@jenijoyk I am glad that I could help you choose a theme for your husband's birthday party! 

I am now questioning if I should go with a denim dress...or just with the skinny jeans and a nice top. The Bar Mitzvah is in late May. I've included two pictures of what I think are cute denim dresses (that I would totally wear again). What do you think?

I really like the 2nd one, and really don't like the 1st. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards