Chit Chat
Options

NYC Tri-state area peeps: Uber question

edited April 2015 in Chit Chat

Have any of you guys used Uber to get to the airport, or home from the airport?  If so, how was the experience? I'm thinking of using them to get to the airport hotel after the wedding, it's significantly cheaper than the town car prices that I have been getting.  But I really don't have a ton of experience with them.  My fiancé said he would drive, but since we'll be drinking at our wedding I definitely don't want that. 

Edited for clarification

Re: NYC Tri-state area peeps: Uber question

• Options
    Well in my tri-state area.... Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois... you're better off just driving yourself. Uber would be expensive.

• Options

Well in my tri-state area.... Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois... you're better off just driving yourself. Uber would be expensive.

LOL I'll clarify thanks

• Options

LOL I'll clarify thanks
    :) 

• Options
    I use Uber all the time.  Especially if I'm going to the airport because it's cheaper than even a yellow cab.  Just depending on where you are (if you're not in NYC for example) there might be no Uber's available

• Options

I use Uber all the time.  Especially if I'm going to the airport because it's cheaper than even a yellow cab.  Just depending on where you are (if you're not in NYC for example) there might be no Uber's available

Thanks!  We do have Uber were I live and they do airport runs too, I just was concerned about how trust worthy and on time and what not they are.  We'll most likely be exhausted by the end of the night and don't want to drive ourselves and then have to pay for parking at JFK for a week...  But I also didn't want to pay $700 for a town car... that's the standard price I've been quoted.  I rather have that money to spend on the honeymoon.

• Options
    I was more thinking that at night, not as many ubers are always available.  But I've always had good experiences with them within cities (I've used them in NYC, LA, Milwaukee, Nashville and NOLA)

• Options
    I love Uber, use it all the time. If I'm not mistaken, coming back from the airport it is cheaper to use a Yellow cab because they charge a flat rate of $45 to any destination in Manhattan. Not sure if this changed, though. 

I just pulled up a receipt from my last Uber airport trip and I paid $65.33 to go from JFK to my apartment in Manhattan.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

I was more thinking that at night, not as many ubers are always available.  But I've always had good experiences with them within cities (I've used them in NYC, LA, Milwaukee, Nashville and NOLA)

Good, point... Hmm I am wondering if this is a good idea to count on this then.  We'd be in quite a pickle if there were no drivers available.   

• Options
    It depends on where you're going. If you're going to Manhattan from JFK, a yellow cab is a flat rate (I want to say $45, but that might have changed). If you're going to another borough, it's a metered fare.

I find Ubers are reasonably priced, although for me they're exactly on par with yellow taxis from where I live.

Also, I have no idea where you're looking at town cars, but $700 simply cannot be right. Is it like, a fancy limo company? If you are not into using Uber, Google "car service" instead of "Town Car" and I think you'll find yourself in a more reasonable ballpark.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

It depends on where you're going. If you're going to Manhattan from JFK, a yellow cab is a flat rate (I want to say $45, but that might have changed). If you're going to another borough, it's a metered fare.

I find Ubers are reasonably priced, although for me they're exactly on par with yellow taxis from where I live.

Also, I have no idea where you're looking at town cars, but $700 simply cannot be right. Is it like, a fancy limo company? If you are not into using Uber, Google "car service" instead of "Town Car" and I think you'll find yourself in a more reasonable ballpark.
    The $700 is round trip, for a basic town car, but I'm in CT, so there are tolls etc...  I know I've been looking ad nauseum but can't find anything cheaper but Uber, which will wind up being like $500 round trip...

• Options
    Also note that in NYC, you can use the Uber app to hail a regular taxi. It now charges a $1-$2 fee to do so, but it's something worth knowing if there are no normal Ubers available at night.

If I were you I'd take a yellow cab from the airport (they line up in droves so you don't have to worry about "finding" your driver) and then play it by ear for the return trip.
  • Options
    700 bucks seems absurd to me to go anywhere.

I am a bit confused about your travel plans- what is your timeline?
  • Options

The $700 is round trip, for a basic town car, but I'm in CT, so there are tolls etc...  I know I've been looking ad nauseum but can't find anything cheaper but Uber, which will wind up being like $500 round trip...
    OHHHHH. I thought you meant for a town car from the airport to Manhattan. You were talking about driving to the city from CT.

Are you close enough to Metro North to just train into the city? It goes as far east as New Haven.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

Me too, I live a freaking hour from Boston airport and when I hired a car/driver service it was $120 each way. 60 miles plus and tolls.

• Options
    I took a shuttle bus from JFK to Trumbull, CT.  It cost about $100.  Perhaps you could look into that?

• Options
    sarahufl said:

Actually, this. Where are you starting, where are you going to end up, and which methods of transportation are you trying to use to get there? I think I may have a completely different notion of what you're doing than is actually true...
  • Options

sarahufl said:

Actually, this. Where are you starting, where are you going to end up, and which methods of transportation are you trying to use to get there? I think I may have a completely different notion of what you're doing than is actually true...
    Yo, OP- lots of deets missing! Come back :)
  • Options
    I'm back... Sorry had to squeeze in some work.  Timeline is wedding is at 6pm, and ending at 10pm.  Town car would pick us up in New Britain and drop off at a hotel near JFK.  Returning a week later town car would pick us up at JFK and bring us to West Hartford.   So thus the distance and round trip with tax and gratuity comes to about $700, yep it's absurd and I called several car services.  Because we are leaving so late at night the shuttle is not running unless we grab it in the am but it's a 8:30am international flight and we have to be there early.  So I'm having a logistical problem here.  Unfortunately, we booked our honeymoon before we booked our venue... I know not the brightest but it was a good deal so there's that.  But now I'm faced with drive ourselves or pay someone...

• Options
    I mean for $700.....if I were your friend I couldn't let you do that and I'd drive you for $100 lol

• Options
    I hope you got a REAL good deal because otherwise you could have just spent the extra couple hundred to fly out of Hartford and avoid all the car services....

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I hope you got a REAL good deal because otherwise you could have just spent the extra couple hundred to fly out of Hartford and avoid all the car services....

I know, but it was a REALLY good deal, and we wanted to fly direct... Poor planning I know, we just originally thought we'd drive but I really want my FI/ husband at that point to be able to drink and enjoy himself without having to worry about driving.    

• Options

I'm back... Sorry had to squeeze in some work.  Timeline is wedding is at 6pm, and ending at 10pm.  Town car would pick us up in New Britain and drop off at a hotel near JFK.  Returning a week later town car would pick us up at JFK and bring us to West Hartford.   So thus the distance and round trip with tax and gratuity comes to about $700, yep it's absurd and I called several car services.  Because we are leaving so late at night the shuttle is not running unless we grab it in the am but it's a 8:30am international flight and we have to be there early.  So I'm having a logistical problem here.  Unfortunately, we booked our honeymoon before we booked our venue... I know not the brightest but it was a good deal so there's that.  But now I'm faced with drive ourselves or pay someone...

Really?  Because I flew into JFK and took a shuttle at 12:30 am.  My ex's Dad used to take a shuttle bus from CT to JFK all the time in the middle of the night.  That's kind of the point of shuttle buses.  Why can't you take the train into the city?

There just has to be a better option than $700. 

• Options
    Girl, take Metro North! Get a friend to drop you off in New Haven and pick you up when you return--I promise you it's not a terrible journey, and it beats the ever-loving hell out of taking any kind of car service from CT to NYC (and not just "the city" but JFK, which is about as far from CT as you can get).

If you want to avoid an hourlong subway ride to the train station (and who wouldn't?) you can hail a regular cab outside of both Grand Central and JFK. The $45 fare will be worth the price. Then all you really have to deal with is the Metro North schedule. It runs all night, so you shouldn't have to worry about timing. (I want to say the trains run about every hour or so).
  • Options
    I have a car. For $600, KatieinBkln and I will be your chauffeurs.

In all seriousness, though- that price is absurd and you can absoutely find something cheaper.
  • Options
    New Britain / Hartford is 2 hours each way to and from the airport so the $700 for a car service doesn't seem completely absurd for 8 hours of total driving.  I would not count on Uber as the driver might not want to accept the ride knowing they are in for a 4 hour trip.  

I just googled - $225 each way? http://www.ctairlink.com 

there is a also a service called https://idriveyourcar.com/ but I have no clue what the cost would be.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Not in NYC, but I would never schedule transportation for leaving the airport. You can't spit without hitting a cab at the airport; even in Detroit. They've always been cheaper than anything pre-set and scheduled, IME.

• Options
    levioosa said:

Really?  Because I flew into JFK and took a shuttle at 12:30 am.  My ex's Dad used to take a shuttle bus from CT to JFK all the time in the middle of the night.  That's kind of the point of shuttle buses.  Why can't you take the train into the city?

There just has to be a better option than $700. 

Boxes***

It's because I'm in hartford county

• Options

Not in NYC, but I would never schedule transportation for leaving the airport. You can't spit without hitting a cab at the airport; even in Detroit. They've always been cheaper than anything pre-set and scheduled, IME.

Ever been to Boston? Scheduling a town car is almost more cost efficient than a cab.

• Options

Ever been to Boston? Scheduling a town car is almost more cost efficient than a cab.
    Yeah. Took a cab. It's just not worth it to me to deal with scheduling yet another thing when so many kinds of transportation are so easy to get, and often regulated to/from the airport. Especially when flights run late. I'd rather just deal when I get there.

• Options

Eh, not necessarily. I scheduled a limo for when we get back from LA for the exact same price I would pay for a cab. And seeing as we live over an hour from the airport, I would muuuuuchhh rather be comfortable in a limo. Especially since we are getting in at 4:40 am (EW). But, if I actually live in the city, im sure a cab would be a better option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards