Moms and Maids

Is it okay...

so my mom asked me to go shopping with her for a dress to wear to my wedding. I gladly helped... My mom hates shopping and she likes going with me.

She is plus size which narrowed down our choices a ton, and she refuses to buy anything she can't try on... I even explained how internet shopping works and you can easily return, she wasn't into it.

Anyway, our bridesmaids are wearing cobalt (royal) blue knee length dresses--solid color, no pattern. I was shying away from blue for my mom because of that. But she kept grabbing things that had lots of blue in them with a pattern. She looked great in a few things that are mostly blue.

Is it ok for my mom (mob) to wear a color similar to bridesmaids? It would be patterned and theirs is solid... Thoughts/suggestions?

Re: Is it okay...

• Yes, perfectly fine.

• Great. Thanks. Halfway through shopping, I was like what's the big deal... Clearly nobody will mistake you for a bridesmaid... And if they do, whatever.

Thanks again!
  • My bridesmaids wore black dresses and both my MIL and my mother wore black and white dresses. They looked fantastic.

• Plus size ladies have it tougher than smaller sized women when it comes to dress shopping.  I actually bought my church suit from eBay.  (It was a known brand name.)
    My favorite site for plus size formal clothes has recently changed it's name.  It is now called www.fullbeauty.com.  It used to be One Stop Plus.  I have ordered several things from them, and have been pleased.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Your Mom is a guest at your wedding.  Because of that she can wear whatever she wants.  Why would it be a big deal if your Mom wore blue when potentially quite a few of your other guests could wear blue as well?

• CMGragain said:

Plus size ladies have it tougher than smaller sized women when it comes to dress shopping.  I actually bought my church suit from eBay.  (It was a known brand name.)
    My favorite site for plus size formal clothes has recently changed it's name.  It is now called www.fullbeauty.com.  It used to be One Stop Plus.  I have ordered several things from them, and have been pleased.

I know!  I was shocked to see how small some of the plus-size sections were at department stores.  And even when we went to specific plus-sized stores (Catherines, layne bryant, dress barn), there wasn't a lot of dressier choices that weren't "old lady" looking.  I was just surprised at how few choices there were.... 

My mom asked me to go this past weekend and we found a great dress at Catherines, and they were having a sale, so it was perfect. 

• Your Mom is a guest at your wedding.  Because of that she can wear whatever she wants.  Why would it be a big deal if your Mom wore blue when potentially quite a few of your other guests could wear blue as well?

I think I got it into my head because my mom kept asking me what she should wear, and FI's mom made a big deal out of her outfit..... In reality, I don't really care what she wears as long as she feels good.  But they keep making it into a big deal. 
  • My BMs wore royal blue, my mom ended up in a midnight blue and my MIL in Navy blue. Everyone looked wonderful!

Anniversary
  • Bonus: if she has blue in her dress, she'll coordinate well in pics!
  • courtmcm said:

Bonus: if she has blue in her dress, she'll coordinate well in pics!

Ugh. This is exactly the attitude that many brides have who come here stressing about what color the moms will wear and whether or not it will coordinate in pics. This should never be a concern, should not factor in.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:

courtmcm said:

Bonus: if she has blue in her dress, she'll coordinate well in pics!

Ugh. This is exactly the attitude that many brides have who come here stressing about what color the moms will wear and whether or not it will coordinate in pics. This should never be a concern, should not factor in.
    I've never looked at random pictures of people and thought, "Wow, it's a shame they don't all match. Then the picture would actually look good." I get that some people want their wedding party to match, but I think using pictures as the reason is strange. 
  • My mom wanted to match the bridesmaids, it was a little weird--she bought her dress to be almost the exact same color on purpose.  The only picture with my mom AND my bridesmaids will be a few family shots with my 2 sisters and my mom though, so it'll look fine. My mom had her dress picked out before I even picked out MY dress, so she's one of those moms...
  • It should be fine, especially if it's not the same shade of blue. My colors are turquoise and purple, my mom is wearing periwinkle so it's still sort of purple but not quite.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think that is more than ok!  Similar dresses will look great in pictures.  :)  Let her wear something that will make her feel great that day as well!
  • My fdil is using the same color scheme..........  royal blue.  She told me to choose something in any shade of blue. 
  • My MOH and mom were in almost the same exact color (dark/navy blue).  They were even similar sheath styles.  My mom had a lacy looking jacket on over her dark blue dress, and my MOH had a dark red wrap with hers.  Nobody would have mistaken my mom for a member of the wedding party.  
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards